Making better use of blueprint drawers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making better use of blueprint drawers

I picked up some blueprint/architect's drawers last summer in lieu of a rolling tool-chest, and while the drawers are great, there is no internal organization, leading to a big jumble of tools after a while. Had some time, so used some spare 0.5" plywood and practised woodworking.

Was fun, and works great! Pretty simple, too.

(apologies for the blurry pictures, I think my autofocus was zonked by the cold)

Re: Making better use of blueprint drawers

Way to think out of the box! The drawers certainly look deep enough for alot of things. I noticed though, it looks like a metal cabinet..might I suggest 1/8" ply to line the bottom of the drawers to protect the tools as a more 'permanent' means.

Great idea though, have to keep my eyes open for something like that.
    sigpic"Turn it, Don't burn it!"

Comment

Good point about lining the bottom - for the chisels/files/rasps I used some rags as padding just for that reason. I didn't have anything thin lying around - this was a 'use up the scrap' kind of project.

What I'd really like to do is use 2" foam and make cutouts for each tool...but that would be pricey and really really time consuming.

Comment

A lesson here is how many of our shop tools only need a very low drawer for storage and while taller ones may have some extra flexibilty when needed the upper half or more is often just wasted space. Stacking stuff in a taller drawer has the unique property of hiding what you are looking for.

billh

Comment

For sure! If money was no issue, I would probably have sprung for something like this:

http://www.listaintl.com/cabinets-st...ured-solutions

They have options to do whatever size drawers you want, so 6' of 2" drawers = a lot of tool storage! The drawers on this cabinet are close to that, but have a lot of wasted surround due to there being no slides.

Comment

There is this idea... Princess Auto has it fairly cheap too!

Capture.jpg
            sigpic"Turn it, Don't burn it!"

Comment

I use 1/8 in ribbed rubber runner from home hardware and cut it to fit the drawer.Then alternate the sharp ends of gouges etc so they dont bash together

Comment

Working...
              X