Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pics of my shop... if anyone wants to have a look

Man what a shop you have , now you're getting me dreaming.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I envy you .... this is the type of shop setup I would love to be able to own professionally one day, very nice.

Comment

Re: Oics of my shop... if anyone wants to have a look

Hello Andrew

That looks like a very cool place to spend time, very nice setup. Thanks for the tour.
        Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Nice shop indeed. I'd be gitty working in there.

Do you have a brother Al? ;) Sorry, I'm sure you've heard that before.

K.
          The more I learn, the better I understand how little I know.

Comment

Andrew, you have a fantastic set up, congrats. And thanks for taking the time to post pics and the write up about the shop and what you do.
            I haven't really mentioned it on the forum yet but I am currently waiting for permits from the city to build my own dedicated shop in my back yard. It will be nothing compared to yours at only about 525 sq ft, but it will beat the heck out of the half of the double attached garage where I am squeezed into now. It's good to see your layout to get some ideas too. My equipment is vastly smaller and fewer than what you have, but maybe one day I will get there.
            Thanks again for posting Andrew.
            Ryan

GALLERY OF PROJECTS: http://lumberjocks.com/galleries/Boomr99#

Comment

Wow!! I dream of having a big shop like this! Thanks for sharing!
              sigpic
              hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the tour! Wow!

Do you have any employees or is it a one man shop?

AK

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew_K99 View Post
                  Wow! Thanks for the tour! Wow!

Do you have any employees or is it a one man shop?

AK
                  Currently I am working with one younger student (possible apprentice) who is really promising and a natural at wood working. Unfortunately for me, he is heading back for his 3rd year of university. I am trying to talk him into going to college for woodworking instead! That's what I did, I did three years of science at UofT, and then quit, and went to do three years at Conestoga College.

In my old shop where I used to live/work, there were three of us. I could easily have one or two full timers with my work load, but it is near impossible in my neck of the woods to find anyone with woodworking experience. Being a custom shop, I need someone with good all around skills. My only hope is to find someone really keen, and train them.

AJC
                  Andrew J. Coholic
                  Joe Coholic Custom Furniture Ltd.

www.joecoholiccustomfurniture.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan in Edmonton View Post
                    Andrew, you have a fantastic set up, congrats. And thanks for taking the time to post pics and the write up about the shop and what you do.
                    I haven't really mentioned it on the forum yet but I am currently waiting for permits from the city to build my own dedicated shop in my back yard. It will be nothing compared to yours at only about 525 sq ft, but it will beat the heck out of the half of the double attached garage where I am squeezed into now. It's good to see your layout to get some ideas too. My equipment is vastly smaller and fewer than what you have, but maybe one day I will get there.
                    Thanks again for posting Andrew.
                    Ryan

Ryan,
                    I can suggest this - plan your tool/machine layout on paper first, to scale. Then, once you have the shop floor down, use a chalk line and lay out the same thing full scale. I moved things around a few times in order to get proper clearances around my machinery and so forth.

500+ sq feet is enough to have a good time, indeed! As much work as setting up a shop is, when you get done and actually get to use it, it is so gratifying. Good luck and have fun with the build!

AJC
                    Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Ok, I admit it. I have a raging case of shop envy right now.

Thanks for sharing. I too have the "shop must be clean and organized" bugaboo. I wouldn't trade it for the world. Working in a clean, organized environment is so much more relaxing and productive.
                      "my hero's are all cartoon characters. What does that say for society, or for me for that matter"

Comment

Damn you!!!! You are living MY dream. That is just not fair.

Thank you for the tour of your amazing shop.
                        the other Ken
                        ------
                        "Each flitch, each board, each plant can have only one ideal use. The woodworker, applying a thousand skills, must find that ideal use and then shape the wood to realize its true potential" - George Nakashima

Comment

Originally posted by Ajcoholic View Post
                          Currently I am working with one younger student (possible apprentice) who is really promising and a natural at wood working.
                          I could easily have one or two full timers with my work load, but it is near impossible in my neck of the woods to find anyone with woodworking experience.
                          I was kind of wondering just how the market was for custom WW up there in Timmins, but your comments here answered my question. Was your previous business also in Timmins?

I only visited Timmins once, just passing through on a summer trip when I was a kid in the mid 70s. The only thing I remember is that all the stoplights on the main drag were synchronized --- they ALL turned green at the same time, which was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen. You could never get more than three lights before being forced to stop!
                          It's not about you.

Comment

Well I am pretty new to the Timmins area. Been living there for about 6 years. My old shop was in Kirkland Lake, a town of 8,000. Timmins is close to 50,000 population. With few people doing true custom woodwork there is lots of work to be done.

AJC
                            Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Great shop and setup Andrew! Thanks for the tour.

Is that an OMGA radial arm saw? I've seen some of them around used time to time.... they have a pretty good reputation. I noticed that u have the arm re-inforced with cable running on an angle back to the walls. I assume this gives some rigidity and lets you have the saw tuned up for perfect 28" cross cuts? It look like never move the arm or the setup on the saw?

Dave

Comment

Dave
                                That is an Omga saw from Akhurst as well. Made in Italy, very good saw. I have it set up to crosscut perfectly square. The supports are actually 1/4-20 threaded rod with turnbuckles, anchored into the wall studs. Stops any little flex when you're out at the end of the stroke.

Ajc
                                Andrew J. Coholic

Comment

Working...
                                X