Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mark's Shop Build

Re: Workbench complete

Mark the workbench looks lovely. My parents live in West Kelowna and seeing the orchards right outside your door takes me back. Nice place to work!

Ryan
    Ryan

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

To answer a few questions:

House:
      - 2x6 stud, R-28 insulation walls are the code here. Both shop and house are well above that at R-40.
      - Didn't have any real issues with trades. Construction was kind of slow here during most of the build, had many guys driving by the site handing me their card. Only one trade was a PITA re: payments, the rest were small deposit, then 30-60 days after completion. I always paid within 2 weeks regardless. Except my painter, who doesn't seems to be in a hurry to collect his money, close to $5K. Keeps saying he's going to come by but never does.

Workbench:
      - The cherry was from a load [email protected] dropped off. As was the walnut. So, thank you Brian for helping out!
      - I got the Benchcrafted hardware directly from Benchcrafted. I ordered it maybe 2 weeks prior to Lee Valley announcing they were carrying it. This was back when the dollar was at or close to par.
      - The leg bolts are not Benchcrafted, just your average bolt available anywhere. 3/8" x 6". The nuts are also generic. I mortised small slots to house the bolts, like this:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	OddsEnds - 13 - testing nut mortise.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	907360

Same idea to bolt the end caps to the bench.
      Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

Thanks Mark.. As mentioned, Well done.

The bench crafted connector/bolts as you know connect to the round nut portion and protrude a bit. I have a plan to use the protruding portion like a shelf pin. Only time will tell if I go that route. LOL
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

That's a heckuva bench Mark, one of my favourites I think of the ones I've seen. Thanks!

B
          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
            Thanks Mark.. As mentioned, Well done.

The bench crafted connector/bolts as you know connect to the round nut portion and protrude a bit. I have a plan to use the protruding portion like a shelf pin. Only time will tell if I go that route. LOL
            Rusty,

I did see those BC connector bolts/nuts (and LV has similar, though the nuts don't protrude). Plus there are the standard connector nuts available at hardware stores, though I couldn't find any for 3/8" bolts. The standard ones don't seem beefy enough, and I didn't want to pay the price for 10 of the expensive ones. This works, but isn't particularly trick. If they'd been more visible, I'd have rolled my own from square brass stock.

Painter showed up this morning, still doesn't want his cheque. "Maybe next week," he says. He does a great job and doesn't want to get paid, I like him!

Comment

Shop update - wood storage

When I built the shop, I decided to leave some details unfinished for a while to figure out what I really needed. So, after working in the shop for the last year and a bit, most of those needs have become apparent. Organization!

The most pressing need had become wood storage. I've got a fair amount of space in the short mezzanine over the office & finishing booth for longer-term lumber storage but the short-term storage (lumber for works in progress and keepable offcuts) was just being stacked against the back wall. A year's worth had built up and was interfering with my ability to access equipment. Fortunately, I've got a short break between two projects because my lumber supplier was out of stock of what I needed (8/4 QS sapele).

First, I framed in some "bins" for vertical lumber storage. Three each about 16"x18" footprint, with the middle bin having a shelf at the 52" height.

Name:	01 - Lumber rack and framing.jpg
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	918200

Had to move a bunch of lumber into that to clear up some space before I could get to the sheet goods storage unit. I don't use much sheet goods but I have somehow managed to acquire a whole bunch of pieces, large and small, and they need to go somewhere.

Name:	02 - Sheet good rack 1.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	918202

As you can tell, the rack is designed to store sheets vertically. Cutting dadoes in the full sheets of 3/4" melamine was a major PITA.

Name:	03 - Sheet good rack front.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	918203

I designed it so that the middle bin had a shelf at 50" and at 63", with the 50" shelf having the potential to be removed should I need to store a bunch of baltic birch ply.

And in the space between the sheet goods rack and the side wall went some shelves for storing smaller offcuts. Framed in with a false back so I didn't create 4' deep shelves I had no hope of reaching in to the back.

Name:	04 - Side shelf framing.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	918204

For the shelves, I used some bifold doors I salvaged over a decade ago. At the time I thought they would make good shelving material but I haven't had the right application until now.

Name:	05 - side shelves.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	918205

And it being beer o'clock on a Saturday, I proceeded to sort through the rest of the lumber lying around. I decided that I really don't need 15 pieces of MDF 4" wide by 16" long :-)

Name:	06 - filling shelves 1.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	918206

The shelves got filled with the usable offcuts, the sheet goods rack got filled with the larger sheet scraps and the lumber storage got packed.

Name:	07 - Filling shelves 2.jpg
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	918207

I still think I could sort through the small offcuts and reduce that pile by half. As you can see from the pics, it will be hard to find something when I need it. Being long past beer o'clock, sorting the pile could wait for another day.

Will need to do a dump run on Monday so I can get back to using the shop.

Name:	08 - scrap pile.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	918208

And my order for 100bf of sapele will need to go in that lumber rack which is already packed...

Over this winter, I need to build some cabinetry for the shop, and I'll be posting updates here as sections get completed.
              scroudt likes this.

Comment

Re: Shop update - wood storage

I just grabbed 2 of the busybee lumber racks
                not real heavy duty (110lbs per level)
                but would fit in easily above that slick racking system you put together

and, free shipping on for >$50 orders <30kg
                http://www.busybeetools.com/products...m-craftex.html
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Nicely done on the wood storage, gives me some ideas - thanks for the update.

Comment

I'm currently working on installing my own version of scrap wood storage.

Name:	IMG_20150408_191910.jpg
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	918225

Comment

Originally posted by RoadHogg View Post
                      I'm currently working on installing my own version of scrap wood storage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96405[/ATTACH]
                      I took a trunkload of burnable scraps up to the house this afternoon, probably enough to keep the house warm for 3 days.

Comment

Cabinets!!!

I finally finished a project to add some cabinetry to the shop. I got by with a couple of metal storage shelving units and an old desk, but the stuff just kept piling up. And, yes, stuff is a pejorative term! When stuff is put away and nicely organized, it is no longer stuff - it becomes useful tools. So when the point came that I could no long stand properly in front of my table saw, it was time to do something about all that stuff.

Here's what the stuff at the front wall looked like:

Name:	Front - Before.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	1046628

Way back in January, I built a set of cabinet bases with drawers and pullouts for each of the front and back walls. 6 boxes at the front and 4 at the back. Straightforward construction, 5/8" melamine installed on a plywood ladder frame. Drawer boxes and pullouts are unfinished, 1/2" baltic birch on the sides and 1/4" bottoms. Everything uses ball bearing slides - the knockoff brand Richelieu sells is pretty cost effective although you need to buy a box of 10 sets at a time.

Because I have a step from the foundation wall to the framed wall, there's about a 4" gap behind the cabinets at the front of the shop. In the picture above, you can see that I store my levels on it. I decided to build some slots behind the cabinets for the levels:

Name:	Front - Level Storage.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1046629

6' and 4' on the bottom, 2x2' on the top. That seemed to work so well, I did the same on the other side of the bank of cabinets to store dowels and such:

Name:	Front - Dowel Storage.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1046630

The bases were all competed and installed around the end of January (You probably noticed the snow in the first pic. :-) Within 30 minutes of the drawers and pullouts going in place, most of the stuff found a home.

The countertops arrived yesterday, so I scribed and fastened them down today.

The back wall cabinets:

Name:	Back - Tops on.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1046631

The fronts:

Name:	Front - Tops On - Left.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1046632

And

Name:	Front - Tops On - Right.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1046633

No snow. It hit 25° today, seems like spring is almost in the rearview mirror. And just in case you were wondering, that garbage bag in this pic is not the same bag in the first pic!

I will be building some uppers to go above the back wall cabinets. They need to be installed above the electrical outlets, which will give me about 27" of space above the bases. I rough cut all the pieces for them when I was building the bases. Some day. I need to build a larger plane till first.
                        SimonRinguet, J.P. Rap and 2 others like this.

Comment

Looks good Mark, must feel nice to have a place for things!

Comment

Working...
                          X