Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calgary radiant tube heater installer recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calgary radiant tube heater installer recommendations?

I am going to heat my double garage shop this winter, Biting the bullet and shelling for a radiant tube heater, Anyone in Calgary had one installed and can recommend (or tell me to avoid) any particular company or installer? Also any particular make/model radiant heater?

Cheers

Clive
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Calgary radiant tube heater installer recommendations?

Originally posted by wryanddry View Post
    I am going to heat my double garage shop this winter, Biting the bullet and shelling for a radiant tube heater, Anyone in Calgary had one installed and can recommend (or tell me to avoid) any particular company or installer? Also any particular make/model radiant heater?

Cheers

Clive
    I looked into this recently too Clive, I've just had too much on my plate to pull the trigger. I contacted Manfred at Infrared Boyz as a co-worker had bought a Calcana heater off him. He installed it himself and got a fitter to pull a gas permit and hooked it up. Said it was minimal effort and only took about 5hrs to get it set up and hung. If you're interested, you can contact Manfred at: Manfred@InfraredBoyz.com Hope this helps!

Comment

I have two Calcana heaters . They have been in use now for over ten years and have been reliable. They are easy to install. Out here on the farm it was all just DYI. Be sure to have outside air feeding the burner. They have a small air blower for the burner and it has to be fully operating for the gas valve to open. If the unit has not been operating for a while and the temperature is very low you can hear the little blower motor trying to pick up speed. In the worst cases I have used a hair dryer to help speed up the process. No big deal though. I recommend the units.

Glenn

Comment

I should have added that while my shop has a high ceiling - and a 30 foot long heater hung just below the ceiling, my garage has the normal lower ceiling and I hung the shorter heater at a 45 degree angle, to give more clearance above the vehicles. This follows Calcana's recommendations.

Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Bubba Gump View Post
          I looked into this recently too Clive, I've just had too much on my plate to pull the trigger. I contacted Manfred at Infrared Boyz as a co-worker had bought a Calcana heater off him. He installed it himself and got a fitter to pull a gas permit and hooked it up. Said it was minimal effort and only took about 5hrs to get it set up and hung. If you're interested, you can contact Manfred at: Manfred@InfraredBoyz.com Hope this helps!
          Called InfraredBoyz and spoke with Manfred, he is dropping off a 10' Calcana heater complete with all the venting on Wednesday. Really helpful nice guy. Thanks for the tip! Should have heat by next weekend!

Comment

May I ask what were you quoted on that?
            Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
              May I ask what were you quoted on that?
              Yeah $1199.00.

Comment

Unpacking the heat!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	894124

Manfred from Infraredboyz delivered the heater right on time, explained that the intake kit was out of stock and would deliver that next week. Great guy, great service. If you decide to go for this type of heater and you are in Calgary or area I would have no hesitation in recommending Manfred and his company Infraredboyz.

Will post update on first impressions when I have it fired up and a longer term review when I have lived with it for a while.

Comment

I also bought my Calcana heater from Manfred. Haven't had any issues so far. I just intake air from my garage, I didn't run a vent for the intake and I haven't had any problems doing that. I'm a little disappointed with Calcana's claims of even heat distribution along their tube. Don't get me wrong, this things cranks out the heat but the tube is noticeably hotter close to the burner end. One of the reasons I chose their heater is because they claimed it outperformed others in this regard. Great heater though, no real complaints (except I'm running it off propane when I suspect I could have had a gas line brought out through the house for much less than I was quoted).

P.S. I paid $1299 for mine in August of 2011 so I think you did pretty good price-wise.
                  Last edited by BryGuy; 10-18-2013, 01:32 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BryGuy View Post
                    I also bought my Calcana heater from Manfred. Haven't had any issues so far. I just intake air from my garage, I didn't run a vent for the intake and I haven't had any problems doing that. I'm a little disappointed with Calcana's claims of even heat distribution along their tube. Don't get me wrong, this things cranks out the heat but the tube is noticeably hotter close to the burner end. One of the reasons I chose their heater is because they claimed it outperformed others in this regard. Great heater though, no real complaints (except I'm running it off propane when I suspect I could have had a gas line brought out through the house for much less than I was quoted).

P.S. I paid $1299 for mine in August of 2011 so I think you did pretty good price-wise.
                    Doesn't your unit get intake/combustion air through a double wall pipe?
                    "Do it Right!"

Comment

Hey - glad I could be of some assistance Clive. I'm still waffling about whether to buy it this year or wait another winter. I still think I'll wait as I have more pressing purchases to make, although next year it will be going in for sure. Posting a thread on the install would help someone along the way I'm sure! Good luck!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	CalcanaIntake.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	894214

My heater draws air in through that port on the side of the burner. You can attach pipe and run fresh air into it but that is not required by code in Alberta (some places do) and I haven't had any issues running mine like this.
                        sigpic

Comment

You would be better to bring in fresh air from outside for the combustion, otherwise you are using warmed air from inside the room and it will have to be replaced by a leak of cold outside air. Generally quite simple to do this. I pull mine from above the ceiling, - just a short length of pipe.

Glenn

Comment

Glenn is right. You need to make up the air you're using. If you use up all of the air the burner is inefficient. I know you won't use it all but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
                            "Do it Right!"

Comment

I suppose I should vent it. I understand the theory, I just don't think it will make much difference to my situation in reality. I'm very stingy with the radiant heat because I'm on propane out there. Come to think of it, I have enough 4 inch ducting sitting in my shop right now to vent it to the attic. I guess I should do that tomorrow, I just picked up a van load of fibreglass pink insulation off Kijiji tonight to dump into the attic so I'm going to be up there anyway. That job is really going to suck but I have found that adding insulation to my attic is already making a big difference, my shop is holding heat way better than it did last year.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X