Table saw overhead dust collection for ~$40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table saw overhead dust collection for ~$40

I was looking at purchasing a commercial overhead collection system for ~ $350 but wasn't impressed that they are mostly 3" mains with an even smaller guard/collection head.

Another thing I didn't like was having to run another hose to the overhead. Ideally, the whole system would be self-contained with one hose hook up.

While I was mulling this over, I discovered 4" sewer pipe was $16 for 10' and the 90's are $6/each

One thing I should mention, I have no need to cross cut sheet goods so the foot print of the system could be quite a bit smaller...

I do rip panels, mostly baltic birch ply for core for veneered panels. They are then cross cut on the SCMS . Cores are 1" oversize and once veneered are trimmed to size/length with a sled on the table saw, hence no need for more than 24" width capacity.

Up until now, I had a piece of plywood between my saw and its base with an inlet for a 5" hose. But it's the top dust that is nasty and it was time to address this...

To begin, I made a plywood manifold with a cut out at the top to fit over the original 5" starter pipe (easier than removing it), a 5" starter pipe on one side for the main collection hose and a collar for the 4" sewer pipe on the other side, basically a T.

That in turn is screwed to a length of 3/4" plywood which is long enough to also support the sewer pipe before it turns to go up. A couple of metal screws secure this contraption to the base supports !

The upright support is a short piece of wood with two metal screws into the side of the top extension and a hose clamp. That gives me three mounting points for rigidity.

For a collection head/guard I used a 10" x 4" HVAC duct. Still need to source some brush material to close the gap between the hood and narrower work. Right now the distance from the table to the bottom of the hood is 4", just enough to clear my sled.

After a couple of test cuts in 1/4" MDF, it does appear the dust coming off the back of the blade is going straight into the hood...

At the back/interior of the saw I've added a couple of pieces of angled 1/4" MDF at the front and back to help with directing the dust into the collection port. For now, I've taped the collection hole to balance the velocity between the top and bottom collection points.

Some fine tuning may be necessary but for now, I'm pleased.

Cheers, Don

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 - Main intake.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	1050479

Name:	2 - Top intake.jpg
Size:	502.9 KB
ID:	1050480

Name:	3 - Bottom top inlet.jpg
Size:	586.7 KB
ID:	1050481

Name:	4 - Front three quarter.jpg
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	1050482

Name:	5 - Front view web.jpg
Size:	786.7 KB
ID:	1050483

Name:	7 - Table mount.jpg
Size:	584.2 KB
ID:	1050484

Name:	6 - Back view.jpg
Size:	784.2 KB
ID:	1050485

Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Table saw overhead dust collection for ~$40

interesting Don,should get a lot more cfm' to the business end than the commercially avaliable units.a means of adjusting height,and a blade guard of lexan,might be ,the cat's a**

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
      interesting Don,should get a lot more cfm' to the business end than the commercially avaliable units.a means of adjusting height,and a blade guard of lexan,might be ,the cat's a**

No need to adjust the height, that's as high as I need and I'll velcro on some brushes when I'm cutting thinner material.

Lexan blade guard ? What's that ?

Never had one before, he, he...

Cheers, Don
      Product Photography

Comment

Nicely executed for your needs.

Comment

Don, have you made a shroud for the back of the saw? I had a DC connected to my Beaver 3200 and as soon as I shrouded the back I saw immediate results.
          Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
            Don, have you made a shroud for the back of the saw? I had a DC connected to my Beaver 3200 and as soon as I shrouded the back I saw immediate results.

I used to have a piece of cardboard that covered about half of the back of the saw, sawdust would collect in the corners but none made it onto the floor.

For now, I've replaced that with two narrower pieces of MDF front and back. I'm toying with the idea of adding/cutting angled pieces for the sides also, a shallow chute if you will.

That might help with the buildup of dust but I don't care much as long as the dust stays inside the cabinet !

I did find there is a balance between better collection and choking the intake air. A full cover did not work better....

Cheers, Don
            Product Photography

Comment

Don -- You could always hang a heavy piece of vinyl on the back with a couple of magnets if you wanted some more closure. FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
                Don -- You could always hang a heavy piece of vinyl on the back with a couple of magnets if you wanted some more closure. FWIW.
                Thanks Wally.

It's more a matter of fussiness. The collection port is basically a hole on the bottom of a large box. Sawdust doesn't escape the "box" but does collect some in the corners.

As it builds up, it gets drawn away. The "fussiness" is me seeing sawdust in the corners

Cheers, Don
                Product Photography

Comment

A current unnamed member once sealed up their cabinet saw, with magnetic sign scraps, that they couldn't slide anything across it. Vacuum seal once it hit the throat plate. This was well over a decade ago.

Dust in the cabinet will form it's own funnel. The inside of the cabinet doesn't have to be spotless. It's outside that counts.

You're inventive. I look forward to your brush solution.

If it was really important to me, and I was frugal, I would buy brooms at the dollar store, resaw them into strips, and fasten them to the shroud. The industrial product that you are after is expensive.

I always buy the pink brooms at the dollar store. Nobody ever borrows them permanently or temporarily.

Kev

Comment

Update >

I ordered a 40" (?) x 4" brush from overseas for less than $10 shipped

For now I've used short pieces of velcro to attach it to the hood. Depending on where my fence is, I can remove which ever piece would be in the way.

From the back...

Name:	Brush back.jpg
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	1166642

From the front...

Name:	Brush front.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	1166643

When I need to make a measurement to the fence or change blades I just swing it out of the way..

Name:	Brush turned.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	1166644

The actual brush part is 3" long and I've mounted it roughly 3/4" above the table, this allows me to still use my sled.

Cheers, Don

Product Photography

Comment

Now that's a real Rube Goldberg there Don!! Whatever works is just great. LOL.

Comment

I agree with your idea about adding brushes, Don, as that'll make a considerable difference in performance... especially if you can figure out some way to adjust it closer to the work.

Originally posted by Don Kondra View Post

No need to adjust the height, that's as high as I need and I'll velcro on some brushes when I'm cutting thinner material.

Lexan blade guard ? What's that ?

Never had one before, he, he...

Cheers, Don
                        All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Wow, I barely remember this thread. Great sourcing on the brushes Don.

Comment

Love the brushes, great idea.

Brian
                            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I see that beer bottle on the workbench haha. Nice setup Don.

Comment

Working...
                              X