Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bender
    replied
    Ingenious. I see the best ideas on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Originally posted by Jaybird33 View Post
    I see that beer bottle on the workbench haha. Nice setup Don.
    That's a design tool

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

• Jaybird33
    replied
    I see that beer bottle on the workbench haha. Nice setup Don.

Leave a comment:

• Brian @ Muir
    replied
    Love the brushes, great idea.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Kevin H
    replied
    Wow, I barely remember this thread. Great sourcing on the brushes Don.

Leave a comment:

• MartyFromKingston
    replied
    I agree with your idea about adding brushes, Don, as that'll make a considerable difference in performance... especially if you can figure out some way to adjust it closer to the work.

Originally posted by Don Kondra View Post

No need to adjust the height, that's as high as I need and I'll velcro on some brushes when I'm cutting thinner material.

Lexan blade guard ? What's that ?

Never had one before, he, he...

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Now that's a real Rube Goldberg there Don!! Whatever works is just great. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Update >

I ordered a 40" (?) x 4" brush from overseas for less than $10 shipped

For now I've used short pieces of velcro to attach it to the hood. Depending on where my fence is, I can remove which ever piece would be in the way.

From the back...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush back.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	1166642

From the front...

Name:	Brush front.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	461.0 KB
ID:	1166643

When I need to make a measurement to the fence or change blades I just swing it out of the way..

Name:	Brush turned.jpg
Views:	773
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	1166644

The actual brush part is 3" long and I've mounted it roughly 3/4" above the table, this allows me to still use my sled.

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

• Kevin H
    replied
    A current unnamed member once sealed up their cabinet saw, with magnetic sign scraps, that they couldn't slide anything across it. Vacuum seal once it hit the throat plate. This was well over a decade ago.

Dust in the cabinet will form it's own funnel. The inside of the cabinet doesn't have to be spotless. It's outside that counts.

You're inventive. I look forward to your brush solution.

If it was really important to me, and I was frugal, I would buy brooms at the dollar store, resaw them into strips, and fasten them to the shroud. The industrial product that you are after is expensive.

I always buy the pink brooms at the dollar store. Nobody ever borrows them permanently or temporarily.

Kev

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post
    Don -- You could always hang a heavy piece of vinyl on the back with a couple of magnets if you wanted some more closure. FWIW.
    Thanks Wally.

It's more a matter of fussiness. The collection port is basically a hole on the bottom of a large box. Sawdust doesn't escape the "box" but does collect some in the corners.

As it builds up, it gets drawn away. The "fussiness" is me seeing sawdust in the corners

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

• Wally in Calgary
    replied
    Don -- You could always hang a heavy piece of vinyl on the back with a couple of magnets if you wanted some more closure. FWIW.

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Originally posted by ErikM View Post
    Don, have you made a shroud for the back of the saw? I had a DC connected to my Beaver 3200 and as soon as I shrouded the back I saw immediate results.

I used to have a piece of cardboard that covered about half of the back of the saw, sawdust would collect in the corners but none made it onto the floor.

For now, I've replaced that with two narrower pieces of MDF front and back. I'm toying with the idea of adding/cutting angled pieces for the sides also, a shallow chute if you will.

That might help with the buildup of dust but I don't care much as long as the dust stays inside the cabinet !

I did find there is a balance between better collection and choking the intake air. A full cover did not work better....

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

• ErikM
    replied
    Don, have you made a shroud for the back of the saw? I had a DC connected to my Beaver 3200 and as soon as I shrouded the back I saw immediate results.

Leave a comment:

• woodhack1
    replied
    Nicely executed for your needs.

Leave a comment:

• Don Kondra
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    interesting Don,should get a lot more cfm' to the business end than the commercially avaliable units.a means of adjusting height,and a blade guard of lexan,might be ,the cat's a**

No need to adjust the height, that's as high as I need and I'll velcro on some brushes when I'm cutting thinner material.

Lexan blade guard ? What's that ?

Never had one before, he, he...

Cheers, Don

Leave a comment:

Working...
X