Dust Collection for New Hobbyist?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust Collection for New Hobbyist?

As Brent indicated buy the Oneida, their business is dust collection that conforms to industry accepted test methods, so you get what's advertised.

My Oneida has 3% higher performance than claimed, when I tested several import collectors, they provided only 30 to 50% of claimed performance

I would never buy a dust collector that didn't come with a performance curve to show the static pressure at different air flow rates.

The other machines don't give you any performance curves, which let's you know that they don't want you to know, how poorly they perform.

I've had my Oneida cyclone for 15 years now, best investment I made................Regards, Rod.

P.S. If you look at the Oneida 1500 stationary cyclone which is also 1.5HP, you'll notice how much more airflow it has than the portable system. To collect dust from the table saw, you'll need 400 to 600CFM at the cabinet and about 200 above the blade. The portable doesn't have that capacity.
    Something to think about, as you don't want to be replacing your collector in a few years.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM.
    timberframe likes this.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I agree with the previous posts about buying proven quality. I have had Delta's 1.5HP portable for over 10 years and am still completely happy with it. A 1.5HP advertised rating from Oneida or Delta is a lot more honest, and likely more usable, than most other companies' 2HP ratings.

It's on wheels so it's easy to move near the tool. You can attach either a single 6" flex hose or two 4" hoses (using the Y adapter that came with it).

The only modification was to replace the top bag that came with it with a HEPA top bag (I use a heavy duty plastic bag for the bottom bag.

One of the things I love about it is that it's also a heckuva great air cleaner. I can cut stuff with my mitre saw and clean the air from high 4- to low 5-digit parts per million (ppm) readings down to 2-digit readings in a half hour or so.

​​​​​​...ken...
      Last edited by Ken in Regina; 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Get the Oneida.

I have a 2hp and it works great.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy their products again.

Comment

There's also this one for sale in the swap meet...............Rod

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...dust-collector
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
            There's also this one for sale in the swap meet...............Rod

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...dust-collector
            Yah, I saw this one. Looks good -- although it seems to me that the impeller being before the cyclones means that larger chunks (think planer etc) will be flying through it like a single stage. Any downside? Also, I assume all of the fine dust also ends up in the barrels? Could be a reasonable deal if HEPA filters could be found for it and not cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

So after all this research, a good family friend is donating me his Oneida Mini Gorilla Portable. It's the 220v model, but only 1.5HP, but heck I can't complain! This should hold me over nicely until I decide to upgrade.

Now the question is -- I think my plan is to keep this thing hooked up to my table saw and router table (which is in the wing of my table saw) the majority of the time and then swap over to the jointer or planer as needed. This means a relatively short run that will be in flex hose -- maybe 8 feet to the router table and then another 2-3 feet to the table saw.

Given the situation, does it make sense to reduce to 4" from the dust collector or try and run 5" to under the router table and then do 2 4" take offs for each tool? Anyone with a setup similar -- can you comment on how you have your blast gate(s) setup? It's all very tight under there

I have the Incra Cleansweep which has a built in blast gate, but I assume I'd want one to block the table saw off when i'm using the router..
              Last edited by mwarning; 09-13-2017, 09:35 AM.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I would keep 5" as much as possible, and when you do transition down, try to find tapered reducers.

Unless you use the router table often, why not use 1 flex hose total and move it when needed? in my shop (with current DC) I use the table saw, jointer & planer most of all. so I use 1 flex hose, and move it to the machine that needs it. any extra hose/duct only reduces the efficiency of the DC, especially if it's not even being used.
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Working...
                X