Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dust Collector Noise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dust Collector Noise

    My 2hp DC is driving me nuts. 84 db at 8' which perhaps doesn't compare too badly with your average DC I guess, but it's way too noisy for me. I see folks have built closets for these things (drywall on staggered offset studs, that kind of thing). My question: does anyone have any kind of measured data on how much difference that's made before I go to all that effort/expense? Was it truly worth it?

    I worry that the air exit hole one needs would let a lot of sound through. The smaller or more convoluted one makes that exit, the less air flow. Or do I worry needlessly?

    Placing the DC outside is not an option in my situation.

    Thanks for your help!
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Dust Collector Noise

    Originally posted by Greg Schlitt View Post
    My 2hp DC is driving me nuts. 84 db at 8' which perhaps doesn't compare too badly with your average DC I guess, but it's way too noisy for me. I see folks have built closets for these things (drywall on staggered offset studs, that kind of thing). My question: does anyone have any kind of measured data on how much difference that's made before I go to all that effort/expense? Was it truly worth it?

    I worry that the air exit hole one needs would let a lot of sound through. The smaller or more convoluted one makes that exit, the less air flow. Or do I worry needlessly?

    Placing the DC outside is not an option in my situation.

    Thanks for your help!
    I have no measured data, but a simple "sound closet" will drop the noise drastically.
    we built one for my buddies compressor years ago, and it was night & day difference. that was just a normal studded wall, not staggered, with a window (to see compressor gauges)

    stagger the studs, roxul insulation and I would think you'll be pleased with the results.
    [insert something witty here]

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Dust Collector Noise

      Some success, with data. Following Beakie I built a closet with staggered 2"x3" studs, drywall both sides and roxul insulation, with the same plan for the door. I was measuring 84 db before, now measuring around 65-67, so from "passing diesel truck" to "(noisy) dishwasher" according to some charts I've seen. Quite pleased, and I think I can probably make it a bit quieter with a bit more care.

      Of course when one is running machines, the machine noise will often be louder than the dust collector. But I like to run a sanding table for example (for the sake of my lungs) but at 87 db it was not bearable so I tended to turn the DC off. So both my lungs and ears are happy.

      Cheers, G.

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Dust Collector Noise

        I hope you wear some kind of hearing protection anyway.

        My DC is about 62dB out of factory, but I still can't fathom using it without ear muffs.
        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Dust Collector Noise

          Darius, what dust collector did you find that's 62db? That's amazingly quiet! I think I'll still be wearing ear protection at least when close by. Cheers, G;.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Dust Collector Noise

            I bought a 2HP PSI DC a few years ago.
            I tried to look for those on their website but they don't seem to carry those anymore.

            I bought mine after returning another DC with the noise rating in the upper 80's. It was way too loud and I just couldn't do this to my neighbors.
            In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Dust Collector Noise

              Greg, that is quite a reduction in noise level. How did you handle the return air? And did you suffer any reduction in suction?

              Tim

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Dust Collector Noise

                62 is amazingly quiet,I thought mine was great at 75,it will suck a ground hog right out of its hole,but that makes a bit more noise

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Dust Collector Noise

                  Greg,

                  I have been thinking of building some sort of enclosure, or perhaps installing sound-deadening panels, around my cyclone dust collector to bring down the noise level. However, one of the things that's holding me back - aside from trying to work it into my schedule (hey, I'm retired, what more can I say?!), is coming up with a design that accommodates my cyclone's Baldor 3hp motor, which generates a considerable amount of heat. I feel that if I enclose the motor (which really isn't the noise generator; it's the impeller that is causing the noise), I think that it may cause overheating problems.

                  I'd therefore like to see some photos of what yours looks like, and to hear how you've provided for adequate ventilation of the motor in your design.

                  Originally posted by Greg Schlitt View Post
                  Some success, with data. Following Beakie I built a closet with staggered 2"x3" studs, drywall both sides and roxul insulation, with the same plan for the door. I was measuring 84 db before, now measuring around 65-67, so from "passing diesel truck" to "(noisy) dishwasher" according to some charts I've seen. Quite pleased, and I think I can probably make it a bit quieter with a bit more care.

                  Of course when one is running machines, the machine noise will often be louder than the dust collector. But I like to run a sanding table for example (for the sake of my lungs) but at 87 db it was not bearable so I tended to turn the DC off. So both my lungs and ears are happy.

                  Cheers, G.
                  All the best,

                  Marty

                  President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

                  Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Dust Collector Noise

                    Hi Marty, thanks for dropping off the particle counter last Friday, sorry I wasn't home so we could have a visit.

                    If you make an enclosure that includes your filter, you will have to return air to the shop through a labyrinth or a pleated filter to reduce sound transmission.

                    The enclosure will have the airflow of your collector flowing through it, more than enough airflow for motor cooling.

                    If your motor has built in thermal protection, no modifications required, if the enclosure seems very hot (>40C) then you should relocate your magnetic starter to the interior of the enclosure so it's in the same environment as the motor...............Regards, Rod.
                    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 09-20-2016, 07:21 AM.
                    Work is the curse of the riding class.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Dust Collector Noise

                      Big Tim, I don't have the means to measure air flow, but from what I can tell, there's been no reduction. Bringing Rod and MartyfromKings in on the discussion, all I did was cut a hole in the enclosure, in a somewhat out of the way place: I didn't pass the air through a baffle or anything (although doing that might well help the sound reduction more, but also reduce flow). The cross-sectional area of my circular 5" DC intake is roughly 3.1*2.5*2.5 approx 20 squares inches. The exit hole I cut is 5 by 5 so that's 25 square inches. Air in = air out so I figure that's more than enough to exhaust the air.

                      And I agree with Rod, there's no concern about cooling because there's plenty of air flow through there: around 400 or 500 cfm passing through the enclosure, which is a lot more than the DC had just sitting there without an enclosure. If one were to run the DC with all the ports blocked then there could be a heat issue, yes. So don't do that!

                      I can try to post some pics but I'm afraid there's not much to see and it's nothing I'm proud of, appearance wise. The DC sits in a shop corner, so I added one wall and then another wall which pivots as a door to form a rectangular closet.


                      Staggered 2 by 3 studs between mounted between 2 by 4 plates on top and bottom, with Roxul sound insulation stuffed in. I did some caulking on joints with a sound insulation caulking but I'm not really sure that made a difference.

                      I bet I could drive the sound down another few db with sufficient effort but I'm not sure it's worth it.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Dust Collector Noise

                        Has anyone any experience with wrapping the fan enclosure, or any other parts of the dust collector with polyurethane foam to reduce noise?

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Dust Collector Noise

                          Thanks for that extra bit of info, Rod. Hopefully I'll get around to finding some slack time in the shop after the "annual Christmas gifts sprint" is over!

                          Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
                          Hi Marty, thanks for dropping off the particle counter last Friday, sorry I wasn't home so we could have a visit.

                          If you make an enclosure that includes your filter, you will have to return air to the shop through a labyrinth or a pleated filter to reduce sound transmission.

                          The enclosure will have the airflow of your collector flowing through it, more than enough airflow for motor cooling.

                          If your motor has built in thermal protection, no modifications required, if the enclosure seems very hot (>40C) then you should relocate your magnetic starter to the interior of the enclosure so it's in the same environment as the motor...............Regards, Rod.
                          All the best,

                          Marty

                          President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

                          Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Dust Collector Noise

                            I know that this is an old thread, however I still haven't got around to doing anything about my noisy DC.

                            I thought that Allan's idea has a lot of potential for success, but don't like the idea of applying polyurethane foam directly to the fan enclosure - which in my case at least - is the culprit. So, here's what I've come up with to work in Allan's idea: wrap cardboard around the outside wall of my unit, focussing primarily on the impeller which as I stated is where the majority of the noise from my unit emanates from. I was thinking that enough layers of cardboard to make up 1" of thickness. I'd add the cardboard to all surfaces: the circular wall, top and bottom. Then I'd spray about 6" of expanding foam insulation to the cardboard, which should pretty well get rid of most of the sound. That way I wouldn't have to worry about eating into any more of my shop, nor worrying about the heat from the 3hp Baldor motor causing any problems. Perhaps as important, if this approach doesn't work out, then it'd be a relatively easy to remove everything back down to the original surface, because the cardboard wouldn't stick to the unit. Have you ever hear anyone else coming up with this approach, and if so, any thoughts as to how it may or may not work?

                            
                            Originally posted by Allan Cusworth View Post
                            Has anyone any experience with wrapping the fan enclosure, or any other parts of the dust collector with polyurethane foam to reduce noise?
                            All the best,

                            Marty

                            President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: Dust Collector Noise

                              One of the advantages of a detached rural shop is you put the earmuffs on and ignore the noise, the disadvantage is if you get badly hurt nobody will hear you so you had best be able to dial 911 and deal with the bleeding alone. Between the RPC, DC and whatever machine I am using it is pretty noisy. When I had a basement shop I did a lot of work early in the morning if late at night with hand tools so the kids could sleep. The effort to make all the machine noise quiet enough so that ear protection is not required would be difficult and costly.
                              Erik

                              Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

                              Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X