Dust Collector Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust Collector Noise

I hear you (though not literally...) Erik! My intention is not to completely reduce the machine noise, as that'd be nearly impossible, but to bring it down a significant notch. Any my DC is a huge component of that.
    All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
    - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

So is the noise you guys are worried about a neighbour thing ? Sure if you just turn on your inside DC it will be noisy but it is only on when you are standing inches away from the machine that is the reason for the DC in the first place so you should have muffs on anyway ???? What am i missing here ?

Comment

Sam,

I don't need to worry about my neighbours hearing anything from my shop, as we have an ICF and no shop noise can be heard outside our home. I always wear hearing protection whenever I'm running any machine in my shop.

What I want to do is make it quieter for my spouse; even though we had sound-deadening foam sprayed in the ceiling of my shop, some noise does get through. And I'd like to reduce the noise volume as much as possible. Happy wife, happy life!!

But here's an interesting point: since having replaced my Powermatic 15" planer with a vintage Bursgreen 18" planer last year, the planing noise dramatically lessened. I guess the much heavier castings and obviously better quality bearings and drive mechanism are the reason for this... but that's still the most noisy pair of machines in the shop.

Originally posted by RV Sam View Post
        So is the noise you guys are worried about a neighbour thing ? Sure if you just turn on your inside DC it will be noisy but it is only on when you are standing inches away from the machine that is the reason for the DC in the first place so you should have muffs on anyway ???? What am i missing here ?
        All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @schlossermarty
        - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Got ya. The frequency also has a lot to do with it from what i understand. Roger that on the planer, some are like jet engines. That has a lot to do with the knifes also. Also have something on your bench all the time for the Boss and she will hear less, lol.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	plenum-exhaust-silencer.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	1168890 I wonder if you could make a silencer/muffler to install inline, sort of like a central vac muffler. It's just a plastic tube with a foam lining and it really cuts the noise of the Vac. My 3hp Oneida has a muffler sock that hangs inside the top of the filter to lessen noise. I see Oneida sells silencers. Diagram from Oneida.

Click image for larger version  Name:	exhaust-silencer-cutaway-diagram.png Views:	1 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	1168888
            Last edited by Bryan @ Woodstock; 02-25-2018, 07:43 AM.
            sigpic
            hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

Hi, when I ran my Oneida cyclone with an internal filter, the turbulence of the exhaust air contributed to the noise.

I installed the Oneida silencer and it reduced the noise by just over 3 dBA..................Regards, Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Some great ideas here guys. Thanks I will be using some of these to knock the noise level down on my compresor and dust collection too. Thanks a bunch.
                https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                  I know that this is an old thread, however I still haven't got around to doing anything about my noisy DC.

I thought that Allan's idea has a lot of potential for success, but don't like the idea of applying polyurethane foam directly to the fan enclosure - which in my case at least - is the culprit. So, here's what I've come up with to work in Allan's idea: wrap cardboard around the outside wall of my unit, focussing primarily on the impeller which as I stated is where the majority of the noise from my unit emanates from. I was thinking that enough layers of cardboard to make up 1" of thickness. I'd add the cardboard to all surfaces: the circular wall, top and bottom. Then I'd spray about 6" of expanding foam insulation to the cardboard, which should pretty well get rid of most of the sound. That way I wouldn't have to worry about eating into any more of my shop, nor worrying about the heat from the 3hp Baldor motor causing any problems. Perhaps as important, if this approach doesn't work out, then it'd be a relatively easy to remove everything back down to the original surface, because the cardboard wouldn't stick to the unit. Have you ever hear anyone else coming up with this approach, and if so, any thoughts as to how it may or may not work?

Wrapping in cardboard seems cumbersome compared to using plastic bags, filled in situ?
                  Rob

Comment

Working...
                  X