X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Felder RL 140 vs. Clear Vue CV1800

Originally posted by Frank D. View Post
    Thanks to all of you for your feedback,

It has been very helpful. I will do my homework and get the ducting right. I went with the Felder in the end, since I ordered some other stuff from them they gave me a better price. Beyond the effectiveness of the filters, space was also a consideration. They have already given me a hand with the design of the DC system.
    Frank,
    how has the RL140 been in use? (I've read reviews of some shops using the larger dust extractors, and otherwise just a scattering of reports on the RL125/RL140 size)

Matt

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

3 year old thread, Member since 2012 and post #1. Wow! lol
      "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        3 year old thread, Member since 2012 and post #1. Wow! lol
        C'mon Rusty, nothing to contribute, then welcome someone by talking about them as if they're not in the room. Sheesh. How does the saying go, if you've got nothing good to say...
        Brian @ Muir and Matt Matt like this.
        Frank
        SPCHT

Comment

Originally posted by mdhills View Post

Frank,
          how has the RL140 been in use? (I've read reviews of some shops using the larger dust extractors, and otherwise just a scattering of reports on the RL125/RL140 size)

Matt
          Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum (as a contributor)! Sorry for not getting back to your PM...things have been hectic for me these past few days and it slipped from my aging brain.

I've been really happy with the RL140. As you mentioned in your PM it's nice and quiet (relatively speaking...), you can still have a conversation in the shop while it's running. I had a few issues with the bag getting sucked up into the filter at first, but I realized that i wasn't pushing the bin in far enough so the little tube that provides negative pressure to keep the bag down wasn't sitting over the hole. Now it's fine. It really works smoothly, the filter is easy to clean and bags are a cinch to take out. I try not to let them get too full though because if I don't need sawdust to compost or mulch with I have to empty it into garbage bins (I reuse the bags...I'm still on my first bag). My setup isn't too big, I'm going to expand it this fall, but for now I mostly run my planer/jointer with flex pipe, and I have a short run of 5" pipe for my tablesaw, and that's about it. It sucks up a storm for its size, although I've never had a big cyclone. I'm really happy with it. And the fact that I can easily move it around has been handier than I thought too.
          Frank
          SPCHT

Comment

C'mon Rusty, nothing to contribute, then welcome someone by talking about them as if they're not in the room. Sheesh. How does the saying go, if you've got nothing good to say...
            I think itís fair and fair. Everybody enjoys relevant experience with DC. Personal reviews of Manufactured DCís should hold a forefront. Weather good, bad or ugly. I can say I have nothing wrong with mine and it works as expected. But I did not purchase, or have expectations of purchase.

I think you could give a good solid review now. But somebody dragging this thread up could be a spammer... or a legit purchaser. This is where personal reviews are a diamond in the rough

letís see if poster ever responds....
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Frank, glad to hear that you're happy with the Felder RL.

A couple of things to remember are that the RL's are tested as a complete unit for dust emissions, unlike any of the NA collectors in the hobby market.

I have an Oneida cyclone and am happy with it however it has design where the filtration is on the positive pressure side of the device, so a leak releases the fine dust into the shop air.

I had that occur once when I bumped the filter and then found that the air quality in the shop was very poor. The filter gasket had lost seal, it was simple to tighten the fasteners however it did demonstrate the vulnerability and importance of the filter air tightness.

Regards, Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Frank obviously you didn't see the "lol" at the end of my comment. I wasn't being critical I was sorta amazed and found it comical,,,,but thanks for your conscience anyway.

Now we can wait to hear from the OP as to whether he felt offended. I assure you that was not my intention.
                "Do it Right!"

Comment

I've been really happy with the RL140.
                  Good to hear, particularly after a few years of use
                  I've been searching for reviews of dust collectors, and I was interested to see you land on the RL140 after the mix of responses to your original query -- concerns over cleaning the filter had me somewhat discouraged and leaning towards the cyclones, which were generally cheaper and took less floor space (at least until you build a closet to knock the noise level down).

The 140 size had also been the one I was looking at (compact footprint), but it seemed to be less common than the 160 or 125 and had fewer reviews.

For your tablesaw, are you running collection on both top and bottom? How is dust in the air during cutting?

Matt

Comment

As I mentioned the filter is easy to clean, but just to be clear, I haven't taken the filter out. I don't think I'll need to; the rep said i wouldn't, and there's a video review of an RL160 I remember watching at some point where the guy says he's had it for six years and only uses the built-in brushes to clean the filter. Those brushes are well-designed. I also remember reading another review where the guy said he takes the filter out on a regular basis to blow it clean, but this is risky (potential damage from pressurized air) and unnecessary IMO.

I think that people with a commercial shop go for the 160 because of the 6" ducting and the double bins, and then the hobbyists or people with a small shop (limited space and budget) go for the entry-level 125, which leaves the 140 as a less popular option. I was going to go for the 125, but the rep strongly recommended the 140 for the extra air flow and he also gave me a price to support his recommendation (he was offering me both a almost the same price, a $100 difference).

For my tablesaw I've been running bottom only. I'm reconfiguring my shop (moving everything upstairs, onto the mezzanine of my 2-storey garage; I thought I'd like the extra space, but I don't like working on two floors), and when I set up the machines again I'll definitely add some pipe to the blade guard. There's always that little bit of dust that the bottom port just can't pick up. I also think I'll use the RL as a portable unit, so not much straight pipe running everywhere, if any. It's fairly easy to move around and I'm not a fan of ducting running everywhere.
                    Matt Matt likes this.
                    Frank
                    SPCHT

Comment

I personally think the Clearview does a fairly decent job. They do have room to improve. My dust collector proves it. I am easily over 200 empties and I have not seen any lost in suction. And I have not cleaned the filters ever in five years. But I have not done dialysis on the air either. Iíll pull the filters tomorrow, and Iíve had a ton of MDF cuts and pine sanding.
                      Last edited by Matt Matt; 07-20-2019, 11:37 PM.
                      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
                        I personally think the Clearview does a fairly decent job. They do have room to improve. My dust collector proves it. I am easily over 200 empties and I have not seen any lost in suction. And I have not cleaned the filters ever in five years. But I have not done dialysis on the air either. Iíll pull the filters tomorrow, and Iíve had a ton of MDF cuts and pine sanding.
                        If it ain't broke.....

Don

Comment

Working...
                        X