X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torit Model 19 DC

I'm current deciding whether to purchase this DC
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/ba...tor/1233065699

Does anyone have any experience, knowledge regarding the name or a collector like this?

I can't find any tech specs regarding impeller sizing, fans curves, etc. as it seems the model 19 isn't made anymore.
    What I can find related to the current model above or below it (16 & 20) both suffice for my needs.
    Only issue are a large dent in the body, which I feel I can fix easily enough, and it has a bag filter for now.
    I have a vfd to run it sitting on a shelf, and with a bit of work can fit a cartridge filter too.

We agreed on a lower price, and I should be able to plumb this for much less than I was originally expecting after taking to Welbeck re:new Oneida.

what I do know is from the ad;
    2hp 3ph 3600rpm
    impeller is approx 13" (owner trying to measure through a hole)
    6" intake
    8" exhaust
    9' 4" tall but I can shorten the base to fit in my shop and use a smaller barrel

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	1097107Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1097106

Attached Files
    [insert something witty here]
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Torit Model 19 DC

Nice unit. Are you sure the dent is not a result of internal suction and too thin of metal skin?
    Erik

Canada's Island Paradise - Prince Edward Island

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

I'm not sure of that at all, however research leads me to believe these are normally industrial units, so I'd think they should be strong enough.
      Also, the dent is at the welded seam (one of my small concerns, may crack when repairing, but I can deal with that) so it wouldn't be easy to dent via suction.

Comment

well I brought this home today.

guy explained he got this from his father in law who was a fine furniture maker. he got it and a few other tools, with the idea to restore them for him. then his FIL retired so this is one of the tools he has no use for.

the dent shouldn't be tough to repair, all else looks very good.
        the base was for a 55gal drum, but it can easily be made shorter (holes for dif heights) which will allow it to work inside the shop until future plans place it elsewhere.
        it came with a drum lid/cover with 6" inlet and foam lined to help seal, so now I need to find one, but will go for 35gal or there abouts.
        the impeller is only 13" diameter, but it looks like there is room for slightly larger if the need ever rises.

will get some pics later once I'm able to get into shop, had just enough time to offload, take apart and blow old dust out of it before my curfew.
        Last edited by beakie; 02-05-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

That's great, should be a real upgrade for you.

Let me know the size of the barrel, there's a bunch of plastic ones behind my father in laws shed (I think he's forgot about them lol).

Nathan

Comment

I have a Torit Donaldson . They are a true industrial supplier and have been around for a long time. I bought mine used . They are also used in the metal industry for fine dust . Very heavy metal and yours was probably dropped. Mine works great.

Brian
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

So glad you picked this up Tom! I called about it when it first went up and ultimately decided that I couldn't fit it into my basement. I think it will work really well for you although you will likely have to replace that filter bag with some sort of pleated filter with better entrapment.

Nice get!

Sean

Comment

I realize that everyone likes pleated filters but there are an abundance of filter material that works very well. You don't just find them buying DC's that are destined for the hobbyist market. I have never seen a commercial shop that uses pleated filters and they are monitored for air quality.

Brian
                If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

thanks all

I'll have to talk to previous owner, I could have sworn the ad said 240v 3phase, however it is 575v.
                  I am going to see if the motor/impeller from my current DC will swap over, atleast the motor and keep this impeller.

Sean, do you recall the add saying 575v?

I'll run the bag for now,it should be well seasoned, and it is huge so lots of surface area.

Nathan, I'll find out the diameter and maybe take you up on that offer.

Brian, I agree they are industrial grade, this brute is heavy, everything about it is heavy.

Won't get anytime until Thursday now, paying job, what a hassle.

Comment

Tom, I would put the word out for an autotransformer, they are out there. I would not attempt to swap out the impeller.
                    Erik

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
                      Tom, I would put the word out for an autotransformer, they are out there. I would not attempt to swap out the impeller.
                      why is that Erik?

I would like to keep this impeller as it's larger than my other DC's.
                      I haven't looked at them to compare, no idea if even possible.

Comment

The design is of a DC takes into account the capacity of the motor and the design airflow, etc. Swapping out parts could lead to a situation where the airflow is too much that the motor draws too many amps, or else the impeller doesn't move enough air and the cyclone is inefficient. There is nothing wrong with 600v 3 phase as long as it is permissible in your situation. I have a detached shop and run some 600v machines from my RPC using and autotransformer without any issue, and you can use a transformer just as easily with a VFD.
                        Erik

Comment

Originally posted by ErikM View Post
                          . I have a detached shop and run some 600v machines from my RPC using and autotransformer without any issue, and you can use a transformer just as easily with a VFD.
                          It is possible to put a transformer on the output of a vfd but they should be engineered as an ensemble. I run most of my 600v machines on 600v vfds fed from a single phase transformer, no problem.
                          Rob

Comment

jgarrett forsberg Jack calls it 3 Phase nirvana Tom. Get yourself set up with 3PH, 600V and a whole new world of opportunities to empty your wallet - I mean machines emerges.
                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

Comment

my 12/14" table saw is already on a vfd, but 240v.

vfd & 208-240v 3ph I can do, this 575v is a whole new animal for me.

at what point does one build an RPC to support multiple 3ph machines opposed to countless vfds?
                              I know vfds can still be usefull w/rpc, speed control and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X