Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harbor Freight 2hp DC on it's way. Next step in DC journey.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight 2hp DC on it's way. Next step in DC journey.

I've got a modest size shop in my basement. It measures about 23x11' with almost 8' ceilings plus a bulkhead that runs 3/4 of the way down one of the walls. It's got mostly kijiii based equipment in it. Craftsman Cast Iron Contractor Saw, busybee jointer, Toolex 1hp? (7amp/110v) DC. The store bought stuff is a Ryobi thickness planer, Makita SCMS on a Ridgid stand, and a really cheap benchtop drill press.

The Toolex DC was a kijiji find from some guy in Cambridge. I bought it maybe 5-10yrs ago. Came with an extra tall bag, but the suction has been not up to snuff for my TS. Filter likely clogged. I can't read the stamped model number on it, but the motor was made in Jan 1997. Entirely single stage setup. I was using the black contractor bags from HD on the bottom for dust collection, that worked pretty well. I've only emptied it 3x since buying it. It is portable with a 10' 4" hose, and I only hook it up to the planer and tablesaw. (Tisk Tisk - I've never used the Jointer yet - but I got it from a guy with a nice house in Oakville, with really nice hardwood pieces his wife had said he made).

Anyways did some research on the Thien baffle, the black plastic oneida super duty cyclone and Wynn filters, and watched a ton of diy setups on YouTube.

I've been in contact by email with Maddock's in Hamilton who makes filters. They responded to my general question email in a couple days, and now I have a phone contact as well.

I originally inquired about a filter to fit my Toolex DC, but actually taking measurements on it, it is a fairly small unit. The blower and dust bag and filter bag holders are all one unit, The diameter of the rings where the bags clamp to is only 11". The blower is really close, and there is only about 1.5" of clearance between the filter ring and the (capacitor?) blob on the side of the motor. I would have had to make a extension to that ring to get one with decent media depth.

I sent a couple of emails to my inlaws who are rv'ing/snowbirding in Florida for March. My FIL loves HF, so he went to check out the DC for me. I also included March's 20% off coupon which they can print out in the RV. I was worried that the box wold be too unwieldly, and told him not to worry about it if too big. He said he could fit it in the back of the Acadia (suv) that they tow behind the RV. Looking at an unboxing video, I was worried that the box may be to much for my mid 70's in laws. Anyways, short story - got email back that they picked up the DC. Hopefully the coupon goes with it, and I can get it for under $220cdn out the door. I have 2 20amp 110v circuits in my shop, so it should run no problem. Run the DC on one circuit, and run the tool on the other one. Lights are on a separate circuit.

I'll update this thread as progress moves along.

nnieman likes this.
    Pete C.
    http://blog.pjbj.ca
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Harbor Freight 2hp DC on it's way. Next step in DC journey.

Micro update.

2 hp arrived on the weekend from my in-laws who got back from Florida. Cost me $230cdn plus some smoked bacon meatloaf as delivery fee.

Unpacked it in the driveway and brought the pieces in the house.

I will be turning it into a 2 stage collector off the bat. Looking at peoples contraptions on the website.

My shop is approximately 22x11'.thinking about having it on wheels, but mostly parked in the middle of the 22' wall.

I plugged the blower in and turned it on for about 20 seconds. Impressive amount of wind. Would have been a big headache if it was dead on arrival.

Pic of smoked meatloaf.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

nnieman and Wally in Calgary like this.
    Pete C.

Comment

It is not often that you open up a Dust Collection thread, only to be treated to a picture of meatloaf.

Looks good.
      Wally in Calgary likes this.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
        It is not often that you open up a Dust Collection thread, only to be treated to a picture of meatloaf.

Looks good.
        Was a first for me.
        Now I'm hungry

Comment

If you get your filter from Maddocks be sure to specify inside out air flow.

​​​​​​From my conversations with them it sounds like it's typically the other way around... I'm not sure how much of a difference, if any, it makes, maybe depends on the material... nano/spunbond/etc...

Comment

Nana Filter ordered from Maddocks... 3 week delivery time. Driving 1.5h to Hamilton to pick it up, as shipping was quoted at $120

Trying to figure out what size container to use with the Super Dust Deputy. There's an old rubbermaid garbage can in the rafters of the garage... Diameter of 17-18" and 22" tall.....

How sturdy does the dust collection bin have to be? 20-30 gallon barrels on kijiji want about the same price as a new garbage can and don't appear open on Saturday....

Pete C.

Comment

Originally posted by petee_c View Post
              Nana Filter ordered from Maddocks... 3 week delivery time. Driving 1.5h to Hamilton to pick it up, as shipping was quoted at $120

Trying to figure out what size container to use with the Super Dust Deputy. There's an old rubbermaid garbage can in the rafters of the garage... Diameter of 17-18" and 22" tall.....

How sturdy does the dust collection bin have to be? 20-30 gallon barrels on kijiji want about the same price as a new garbage can and don't appear open on Saturday....
              i doubt the Rubbermaid wil do,will most likely be collapsed during use,I recommend a fiber barrel of 35 to 55 gallons n size.

Bobmezz likes this.

Comment

Oops... I didn't see this til now. I ended up buying a Rubbermaid brute garbage can at hd. 32 gallons... Thicker than the normal Rubbermaid...

Pete C.

Comment

I've gone to the Oneida site and a lot of customer pictures have the Rubbermaid brute as the bin under their super dust deputy...

Anyways worked on it for about 2 hrs on Saturday.... Got a not very good circle cutting jig made up and an inner disc for the trash can....

Taped a 20x20" furnace filter to an old box fan I rescued from the cottage to use as an air cleaner...

Pete C.

Comment

Where do I get cheap 5" pipe /ductwork, or should I go 4"?

Pete C.

Comment

Bardon
                      https://www.bardonsupplies.com/en/serviceoutlets/
                      26 ga hvac piping. Avoid T's and a few other things that are good for hvac but bad for DC.
                      If you want to go the PVC route Bardon is also your best bet.
                      Get blastgates and fittings from lee valley, brettwood, busybee, etc.

Comment

Anyone else have any other suggestions - Bardon's doesn't have stores in the Kitchener/Waterloo area.....

I'm also considering the pros and cons of building a DC system vs keeping it portable with flex hose in my modest size shop. I'm currently working in a 24' x 11' (approximate)

Other than my SCMS, most other tools I have to move into a working position.

-benchtop planer on mobile cart with outfeed wings
                        -Jobmate benchtop drill press (Xmas present)
                        - no good router table setup. It sits on the floor presently
                        -tablesaw on mobile stand - workbench gets rolled into place as outfeed table (after I clear the junk off it)
                        - 14" bandsaw on mobile stand - no dust collection yet - just got it.
                        Last edited by petee_c; 10-04-2017, 08:12 AM.
                        Pete C.

Comment

if everything is mobile, I would leave the DC somewhat stationary and have as large a flex hose as possible to attach to whichever machine is being used. maybe hard duct to a few flex hose connections along one wall, still as large as possible.

while I had wanted properly laid out ducts and blast gates, etc years ago, I am just getting around to it now.
                          Now my shop is "complete" machine wise and what I have will be stationary instead of rolling into place as I did years ago. I would have had to redo everything a few times over if I had used duct work before. As it was my old single stage DC & flex hose was "enough" to keep a single stationary machine clean, but would not have worked trying to hook each machine up.
                          [insert something witty here]

Comment

I have plans to build my DC system mounted to a cart with swivel casters.... The foot print of the DC would be the same for me whether it's attached to the wall, or on wheels. Like everything else in my shop.... on wheels likely makes the most sense...
                            Pete C.

Comment

If you don't have a Bardon find the equivalent HVAC/Plumbing supplier. The local contractors have to buy from somewhere. If you're going 5"+ and/or want 26 gauge big box stores wont help much.

Comment

Working...
                              X