DC Build with big rig filter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Build with big rig filter

Hey wanted to start a new thread on my "budget" dc build, as things come together, especially to share some research I've done.

I now have a Kraemer blower (E-21) with a 3hp emerson doerr motor. The bag filter wont fit in my basement as it requires 12'+ ceilings, probably higher. I also just got a oneida metal super dust deputy cyclone. And finally decided to do a big rig filter.

Why the big rig filter? After talking to a few people from the forums, as well as other threads, it became pretty clear that big rig filters are pretty darn close to dc filters, and are much cheaper. My workshop is sucking up way too much money and not generating any, as its a hobby shop, so cheaper is key! That lead me to which big rig filter should I choose?

The first thing I found useful is Napa/Wix and Filterfleet who also sells Napa/Wix list CFM for all of their big rig filters, so I went through one by one, every single filter made to find the highest flowing filter. That was a napa 6868, that flows an impressive 2229 cfm! This was head and shoulders the highest flowing filter, the next closest were a few in 1700 range, the vast majority were 700-1400 range. These are cellulose type filters, probably comparable to the 1 micron filters out there, good but not great. Next I started researching cross reference parts for that filter, K&N had a handy list of each maker's cross reference parts... that lead me to Donaldson. Donaldson makes a cellulose filter, but they also make a nano-fiber MERV 15 filter! DBA5102. Rated to 99.99% at 0.2-0.3 micron. Ultra-web is the same filter media that they use on their industrial woodworking cyclones. https://www.donaldson.com/content/da...ment-Parts.pdf
    Their site led me to a local dealer, whom a forum member already recommended as the best local/cheap big rig dealer, WINSLOW-GEROLAMY. Called them up, and its $149 delivered to my door or a local shop to pick up (probably taxes extra). Will be a week or two before arrival as Winslow gerolamy needs to hit a 2k min order before they get more stuff from Donaldson.
    Here is the overview of the DBA5102 https://catalog.donaldson.com/produc...866.1502820034
    Other makers like Napa put this as a 8-1/4" ID but this Donaldson is 3mm larger at 8.39" ID.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: DC Build with big rig filter

Matt did make a dc with two big filters. Seemed rock solid. Show some pics as it goes.
    Mike

Comment

Yep. Post # 144 video

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...-blower-for-dc
      Last edited by Matt Matt; 09-14-2017, 08:08 PM.
      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

That's an awesome thread especially the videos My build is nowhere near that, as it's off the shelf (+kijiji) components... was pretty excited to share my research as to the ultimate big rig filter to use though

Comment

Originally posted by maytagman View Post
          That's an awesome thread especially the videos My build is nowhere near that, as it's off the shelf (+kijiji) components... was pretty excited to share my research as to the ultimate big rig filter to use though
          Don't stop your documentation now. We like to see videos and pictures of the build. We're only here to bounce ideas off each other or improve on others situations and builds.
          nnieman likes this.
          For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
          Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Maytagman,

I'm following this thread too... I'm ready to build my 2hp HF dust collector soon. Super Dust Deputy should be here from KMS by next week.... I'm planning on doing one similiar to DIY Tyler on YouTube, but on wheels.

I looked at the UltraWeb info before coming across this thread... Their literature on it indicates that the nano coating is on the outside of the filter, if it is not on both sides of the pleated material, I am not sure if it will work. I want to design it with the air blowing from inside to outside on the filter.....

I have a email out to the "contact us" people at Donaldson. I also have a email out to the Maddocks group to quote me something similiar to Wynn's 35ba222nano filter....

Once the Super dust deputy arrives, I will start building....

Pete C.
            http://blog.pjbj.ca

Comment

Thanks, can't wait to see your build. Coating on outside would just mean it would choke off airflow faster, and require cleaning earlier. Dust still would get trapped by it. Hoping to have very little dust actually make it to the filter

Comment

dunno.... probably a lot of dust makes it to the filter... we know that we are filtering dirty air, compared to ambient... Donaldson has acknowledged my email.... will see if they come up with an answer.
                Pete C.

Comment

I was very supprised how little dust actually made it into my filter.

ive got an older Oneida industrial cyclone into a big rig filter and I have yet to find dust in it.
                  ive been using it for about 6 months.

nathan

Comment

I ended up ordering a filter from Maddocks group in Hamilton.... shipping is a killer, so I am going to take a couple hours off work in the afternoon when it's ready (3 weeks) and pick it up...

Donaldson never got back to me with any answers.

It's slightly bigger than the Wynn filter... 17.875" diameter, 26" tall... 400 pleats and 289sq ft of Nano Filter area.... Under $200cdn.
                    Pete C.

Comment

Got the donaldson filter today and it definitely appears to be coated on both sides.
                      petee_c likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by maytagman
                        Got the donaldson filter today and it definitely appears to be coated on both sides.
                        Nice. Can you measure the dimensions? Still no response from Donaldson about my questions....

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Pete C.

Comment

Pleats are about 2", just under 26" high... guestimating 350 pleats... probably putting it in the 250 sq-ft ballpark... 8, 1/4 ID opening. Going to adapt it to 8" hvac with a piece of plywood.

Comment

that will likely work pretty well.

this is what Maddocks is building for me...

17.875” outside diameter
                            11” inside diameter
                            400 pleats
                            26” long
                            Open/Open
                            Gasket both ends
                            No inner screen
                            Expanded metal outer screen
                            Nanofiber Media

2" pleats... total sq foot ends up to be about 290 of filter area....

I'd love to see a pic of it while you're building your system.
                            Pete C.

Comment

Working...
                            X