grounding a portable DC system?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grounding a portable DC system?

I've read some, and then some more and while I'm not sure which side of the debate I'm on, I'm curious how one would go about "grounding" a 2HP cyclone with a single 10ft length of 5" flex hose that gets attached to each tool on an as needed bases? I have a metal 6" to 5" reducer on the cyclone and then the clear flex hose. The other end feathers a Rockler quick connect fitting (some sort of plastic).
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: grounding a portable DC system?

I would not worry about it. When you have longer lengths of pvc ducting you can get static build up but that does not apply here.
    Rob

Comment

I Agree with rob.

I did some research when I did my system and found it examples of an issue in a smaller home shop type situation.

nathan

Comment

Hi, I had a static issue with short lengths of flexible hose.

When I would bend forward to pick up a piece of wood from the planer, I would receive a static discharge to my head, it was certainly disconcerting.

My first solution was to use 5 inch aluminum flex ducting, which was grounded by being connected to the collector.

Subsequently I changed hoses to a 5 inch polyurethane hose and the issue was resolved. I expect that the poly hose was slightly conductive, providing a path to ground for the static charge.

Once I experienced how flexible the polyurethane hose was, I replaced my other 5 inch flex hose.

Regards, Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
          Hi, I had a static issue with short lengths of flexible hose.

When I would bend forward to pick up a piece of wood from the planer, I would receive a static discharge to my head, it was certainly disconcerting.

My first solution was to use 5 inch aluminum flex ducting, which was grounded by being connected to the collector.

Subsequently I changed hoses to a 5 inch polyurethane hose and the issue was resolved. I expect that the poly hose was slightly conductive, providing a path to ground for the static charge.

Once I experienced how flexible the polyurethane hose was, I replaced my other 5 inch flex hose.

Regards, Rod.
          I had similar experiences with my old planer. The flexible hose from Lee Valley that I use has wire in it so I bared a bit of wire and stuck it under the hose clamp so that it touched the metal dust collection hood on my planer. By doing this the hose was grounded and I've never had an issue since.

I believe it is the PVC hose.
          Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

I have a 1 or 1.5 HP(don't remember which) CTC dustcollector and use 4" white rigid pvc ducting. The run to the bandsaw is about 8ft with 2 takeoffs connecting via 4" flexible to the bandsaw. The tablesaw run is about 18ft. plus about 6ft of 4" flexible hose. I use blastgates on both machines. This set-up has been in use for at least ten years. I have never had any problem with static. My shop is in the basement.
            Cheers,

Tim

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have a 20 foot PVC hose running to my machines from a 2HP DC. I never experienced any static discharge so I read these threads like I would read about alien life in a distant gallaxy.

an interesting read on "grounding" PVC hoses.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

I have about a 20ft flexible hose which I move from one tool to another as needed. Initially I would get a good jolt when handling the hose. I solved the problem by very loosely winding a copper wire along the hose , grounded to the dust collector. No more shocks!

Glenn

Comment

Working...
                X