Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d printed dust collection adapter

Hi,

I recently bought a hammer A3-31 and the dust collection port on it is 120mm. I've asked a friend to 3D print an adapter from 120mm to 4 inches. It turned out pretty well.I thought you guys would be interested in seeing it:

INB4 grumpy old man saying "but it's designed for 120mm you should use 5 inch instead!!!": I'd rather try a $5 adapter for hose I already have instead of spending $100 on 5 inch hose. I don't want to debate hose size and price, this is just a post to show off this adapter.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I hope you enjoy!
    thawey likes this.
    I should also mention—and it absolutely pains me to say this—that there are crazy people who agree with what you have to say. I’m not saying you’re crazy. I’m saying they’re crazy. But you’re both saying the same thing.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: 3d printed dust collection adapter

Cool stuff, but be aware that the efficiency of dust/chip removal will suffer a little. Not a deal breaker but there is definitely a noticeable difference.
    I have exactly the same machine but I used a HVAC reducer to be able to use my 4" hose. With your post this gives me a new idea to get an adapter 3d printed, but I need one that splits 6" into one 4" and one 5". The 5" will be for the hammer.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion

Comment

Pretty slick, thanks for posting. What exactly is the material?

Comment

Not sure what the material is, PLA maybe?

Here's another picture of it on my machine. Unfortunately, I ripped my dust collector bag and I haven't been able to test the chip collection yet.

I should also mention—and it absolutely pains me to say this—that there are crazy people who agree with what you have to say. I’m not saying you’re crazy. I’m saying they’re crazy. But you’re both saying the same thing.

Comment

A practical use of a 3d printer? are you even allowed to do that ;) ?

Comment

Now that I started looking into it, I have a bunch of ideas... Look at this model:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13069

Good idea but I think I can do a little bit better.

Next I'm thinking about doing something about my miter saw dust collection.

There's a bunch of models online, you don't have to know how to do this. There's some online editors and a plugin for sketchup.

Comment

Another note on 3d printers - some public libraries in Ontario offer 3d printing as a service. There are various pricing schemes for this, most just the cost recovery.

Comment

Cool, I'll have to look it up.

Comment

Curious,what is the knob on the right,below the scale,mine does not have that

Comment

Have you any idea what the cost was for printing off this item?

Incidentally, I simply turn such adapters off on my lathe... but I've got to admit, this is so much more hi-tech!
                    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Al, it's to lock the planer height adjustment.

Marty, it was less than $5 in material. Apparently, this material as a shelf life so my friend said I didn't have to worry about cost. I couldn't pick the color though. The first one was pink but it didn't fit right.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                        Curious,what is the knob on the right,below the scale,mine does not have that
                        Hi, it's the planer table elevation lock.............Regards, Rod.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Hi, it's the planer table elevation lock.............Regards, Rod.
                          had a brain fart,of coarse mine has the same lock

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                            Have you any idea what the cost was for printing off this item?

Incidentally, I simply turn such adapters off on my lathe... but I've got to admit, this is so much more hi-tech!
                            If you try a public library then you'll find out that some libraries charge $0. Others charge a small nominal fee of $1.00 and up for an object of certain weight and then additional incremental charge for each additional unit of weight.

Comment

Shapeways is another option to find guys to 3d print things. The library sure is a good idea for those of you that live in large centers.

You should ask your friend how long it took to print. Unless he has a large industrial machine I bet that took 3 - 4hrs to print. 3D printers are mainly for prototypes because they are slow. We have a Makerbot and we printed out some molds for some small parts I was making. Those took 7hrs to print on reasonably low resolution. They were not fine enough so I got a quote from an industrial supplier, and they wanted almost $2k to 3d print 4 molds.
                              Last edited by Brad805; 10-19-2017, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X