Have to set up a new dust collector system

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to set up a new dust collector system

I have all the line gates that I think I need but they are aluminum or whit emetal or something. I was thinking to use white pvc for the main piping. I know where the dust collector will sit. Close to the over head door in a corner on the wall that will be my RAS and Mitersaw cabinets. I will need 2 runs for the mitersaw and RAS then one for the table saw and one for my SCM machine. I think it should be pretty easy to do and want everything to be run overhead and keep the blast gates at close to the collector as possible. There are 2 openings on the collector I think 4" I have to check that to make sure but I think the other option is one 6". I think 2 4" will be better for me. Its 1.5 hp unit a no name so I am under no illusions that this will perform mediocre at best for me. That being said there isnt a lot of line needed to get to everything. Longest line unless I set one up for a future router table that would be maybe 15' plus the rise and drop to the router table. The RAS would be maybe 12' the table saw would be maybe 10' including the riser and fall to the saw.

The station for the RAS and SCMS will be sort of designed like Jaw Bates station. I like the amount of sotrage it has and the versatility I will need for mine.

Any suggestions on designing this would be helpfull. I have metal elbows but I think that would be a pita to match up to the PVC. Unless there is an easy way to connect the 2. I have a card that gives me $500 off at lowes. So that is where I am thinking to get everything. Not sure if there is a minimum you have to buy but what the heck. I need to get this set up sooner rather than later.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Have to set up a new dust collector system

Darn it can someone move this to the dust collector area please? I forgot there was such a section.

Comment

Why do you want your gates close to the collector?

I have 2 main runs with drop downs that split (Y) fittings to blast gates to machines.

2 table saws & shaper on one drop down.

jointer & planer in another.

The other run is router & power sanders.

I vote use a 5" main with 4" drop downs.

You might want 5" to the scm machine, I'm finding 4" run to my 16" planer is okay, not great.

Nathan

Comment

Ok the blast gates are all 4" though. I suppose your right put the blast gates close to the machines and open as needed. Thanks for the tips. Im seeing now the pipe run to the blast gates should be 6" them couple them down to 4". That is a great plan glad I thought of it LOL
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

I had a 1.5 hp unit and performance with just 10' of 4" hose was disappointing...

I would do everything you can to simplify your duct layout as much as possible.
          I wouldn't use the 4" split at the machine itself, rather run a single main line (6") and branch from that.

regarding gate placement:
          Close to the collector = better performance, less loss/leakage potential
          Close to the machine = more convenient (maybe)

Comment

That was my thinking having a stack of blast gates close to the collector but I see the wisdom in using 6" pipe as far as I can.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

With a 6" main you may not have enough velocity to keep the chips moving, I would suggest going with 5" all the way including collection hoods at source...

Cheers, Don
              Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
              Product Photography
              My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

Greg, I would do the entire run in snaplock pipe.

In my system, some of the gates are at the collector as I have 2 main machines, a saw/shaper with 2 gates and a jointer/planer with one. The gates are just above the on/off push button station.

I also have a gate at each of the floor sweeps, the bandsaw, lathe and drill press.

For a small collector I would use 5" pipe and hose and change the ports on my tools to 5 inch if possible................Regards, Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Ok thanks. Appreciate the input.

Comment

Working...
                  X