Dust Collection for Hand-held Powertools

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection for Hand-held Powertools

I am in the midst of writing a presentation on the topic of Dust & Chip Management. As I began to delve into the topic more deeply, it struck me as interesting that smaller machines (routers, belt & disc sanders) are generally more challenging, from a dust management perspective, than large, stationary machines.

Okay, so thanks for the revellation, Marty, right?! But hold on, as I want to share a few insights into what I'm doing about it in my own shop...

Sanders

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_113690.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	1157048
    Belt Sanders. As a few of you may be aware, I recently "buried my venerable Elu 3" X 21" belt sander and was asking here about prospective replacements for it. I settled on a Triton TA1200BS, from Busy Bee Tools, which they retail for $209.99. The machine comes with an incorporated dust blower and a dust collection bag that connects to that port with a bayonet-style connector. I of course wanted to connect it directly to my shop vac (a Fein HVAC... but more about that in a separate thread) as I've found from my previous belt sanders with bags, that they work reasonable well on flat surfaces, but poorly elsewhere. Then, you have tyo empty the bag, which unless you're sucking it out with a shap vac, can be quite messy. Then, of course, there's the additional time needed to pull out the vacuum cleaner, remove the bag and get on with things. So, collecting dust directly into the shop vac as sanding is going along is obviously the most efficient way to go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Belt Sander Modified Unplugged.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	1157049
    (Photo showing bayonet-style connector disconnected)

The flex hose that came with my Fein, which interestingly enough has the same end as the considerably more expensive shop vacs by Festool, wouldn't mate with the sander's bayonet-style connection. So I decided to use the connector that was incorporated into the sander's dust bag, as it'd fit like a glove. After removing the connector and sawing away the excess plastic from the inside of the connector (it's there for holding the bag's wire frame in position so the bag stays out of the way), I realized that although it may be possible to connect that hose, I felt the hose may be just a bit too stiff to work well enough with the sander. After all, the idea of hand-held tools is to have enough flexibility and freedom of movement to efficiently operate the machine. So I dug through my spart parts bin and came up with a somewhat smaller hose I was given a long time ago... and that I'd never used. With a very simple modification using some electrical tape, I successfully mated the modified bayonet-style connector to the end of the hose. It operates perfectly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_113689.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	1157047
    (Metabo ROS on left; Triton BS on right)

Random-Orbit Disc Sander (ROS). My Matabo ROS was able to connect directly to the Fein's flex hose perfectly, so that solution was easy enough. Incidentally, I've had that sander for the past 8 years or so, and always connected it to my dust collector with a Festool hose, which as stated above, has the same connector as the Fein's.

Routers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Router.JPG Views:	1 Size:	515.7 KB ID:	1157050
    Now this is where things get interesting. Until such time as Festool came out with their routers that had separate above and below base collection ports, routers were absolutely terrible spewers of dust and small chips. Now they're only a bit bad... but nothing is perfect it seems.

Again, one of the connectors that came with the Fein shop vac hose mates perfectly, so I'm in business with my Festool router. I understand that Rockler markets a set of router-specific adapters, which I'll have to try out on my Bosch routers...

Last edited by MartyFromKingston; 12-30-2017, 11:45 AM.
    rhscdn and beachburl like this.
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dust Collection for Hand-held Powertools

Great write Marty!

Im at the point where Iím upping my fine dust collection.
    i just bought the Bosch version of your metabo sander (hasnít arrived yet).

How did you find the dust collection with the belt sander? As good as the metabo ?

Iíve never bothered with my router, Iíd rather wear a dust mask than buy a $800 router.

I find the router makes chips more than fine dust but I got into a stash of reclaimed mahogany last year that did not agree with my sinuses.

Nathan
    Last edited by nnieman; 12-30-2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Or use this

https://www.oneida-air.com/inventory...m_no=AXH000001
      nnieman likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
        Thatís a lot cheaper than a festool router!

Have you tried it?

Nathan

Comment

One of the more reasonably priced self contained units. I have seen these units at trade shows in use and they are very effective.

http://www.sandmanproducts.com/docum...Series2016.pdf
          If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post

Thatís a lot cheaper than a festool router!

Have you tried it?

Nathan
            Not sure if it works but appears well built. Leave it in the shop and the box collects dust real well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1157118
            mikeddd, Wally in Calgary and 2 others like this.
            If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
              One of the more reasonably priced self contained units. I have seen these units at trade shows in use and they are very effective.

http://www.sandmanproducts.com/docum...Series2016.pdf
              Only problem with those units Brian, is that for those of us space challenged, they have a fairly large footprint. I'd probably have to stand outside to use it inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post

Not sure if it works but appears well built. Leave it in the shop and the box collects dust real well. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1436.JPG
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1157118
                Crack that puppy open and let 'er rip. We're waiting for a hands on review.

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
                  Great write Marty!

Im at the point where Iím upping my fine dust collection.
                  i just bought the Bosch version of your metabo sander (hasnít arrived yet).

How did you find the dust collection with the belt sander? As good as the metabo ?

Iíve never bothered with my router, Iíd rather wear a dust mask than buy a $800 router.

I find the router makes chips more than fine dust but I got into a stash of reclaimed mahogany last year that did not agree with my sinuses.

Nathan
                  Hey, Nathan,

The dust collection on the Triton BS is superior to that of the Elu it replaced, but isn't nearly as good as the Metabo ROS. But let's face it, we're talking apples and oranges, as the ROS draws the dust up through the holes in the sanding medium, whereas the belt sander's attempting to pick it up where it's thrown off the back of the drive wheel. Different technologies...

All the best,

Marty

Comment

Thanks Marty!

I find I tend to use my belt sander less and less. Iím using my ros more and more.
                    Is your metabo a 6Ē or 5Ē pad?

Whats your impressions of the festool router?
                    im very curious, i have yet to see one in person.

Nathan

Comment

Sorry for the delay in getting a response back to you Nathan. Busy, busy!! My Metabo has the 6" pad.

I'm not crazy about my Festool EQ 1400 router (http://www.leevalley.com/en/Festool/...at=5,105,68341), due primarily to the location of the depth locking knob. In use it's very easy to loosen it, because it's also used as a handle. It is also a bit top-heavy feeling, perhaps because the base is a bit too small for its height as far as I'm concerned. I have two Bosch routers, BTW, and enjoy using them better than the Festool...
                      All the best,

Marty

Comment

I donít know about Bosch or Fein shop vacs, but my Craftsman pulling through a ClearVue mini cv cyclone will collapse a 20 litre wine bucket when connected to either ROS that I have. The flow is very low which can cause heat damage to the motor and the sanding task will not be as efficient. My Triton router has a decent dust port. I prefer to connect to my cyclone.

Comment

Working...
                        X