Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: table saw over blade dust colletion

Hey, Shawn,

Here's a few photos that'll explain the arrangement I have.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slider saw.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1161742

Name:	Above Blade Dust Collection 4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	337.6 KB
ID:	1161746Click image for larger version

Name:	Above Blade Dust Collection 3.jpg
Size:	279.0 KB
ID:	1161744Click image for larger version

Name:	Above Blade Dust Collection.jpg
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	1161745

Originally posted by Shawn_S View Post

Thanks Marty. What you say makes sense to me, thanks to my many hours over the years combing the internet for DC information. Just want to clarify one thing you said. You said you have a 2-1/2 for you above blade, what is that running from? What is your set up as it pertains to your table saw?
    Attached Files
    All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Thanks al.m.. and MartyFromKingston for the pictures, those help to give me ideas of what to start thinking about for piping. I think I may try a bit on an experiment over the weekend. I've got an open port from my 6" that is reduced to 4". I think I'll hook up some 4" hose and reduce that end to 2.5" and see what that is like. I know when just the 4" hose is hooked up it draws very very well, and that is with my table saw gate still open (off the same 6" line). So thinking "out loud" I know that a 4" above blade would be more than enough. Still curiosity is killing the cat, and just have to see what the 2.5 will be like.

Comment

Since we're doing pictures, here's how I did mine...

7" main run on the ceiling, to a 6" wye, reduced to a 4" blast gate and then 3" flex...

The 5" drop to the base of the saw comes earlier in the run, closer to the collector and then runs along the floor, you can see it in the background...

Name:	20180125_225006.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	1162075

Attached Files
        Shawn_S likes this.

Comment

I apologize for the hijack and also my ignorance but all these fancy overhead guards and dust collection look and work (fantastic I am sure) and I'm looking forward to building something similar myself soon but I have to ask..... this is great for ripping but do they have to be moved out of the way making them useless for crosscutting with a sled? Just curious.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike66 View Post
            I apologize for the hijack and also my ignorance but all these fancy overhead guards and dust collection look and work (fantastic I am sure) and I'm looking forward to building something similar myself soon but I have to ask..... this is great for ripping but do they have to be moved out of the way making them useless for crosscutting with a sled? Just curious.
            Mike
            Yes, they would need to be removed for most crosscut sled designs. Really depends on your work flow and the kind of work you do. I still do probably 98% of all my cross cutting at my mitre saw. So in my situation its really a non issue.

Comment

Hi, the issue with a splitter or riving knife mounted guard is that they can't be used for non through cuts.

I used the stock Euro guard with a 2 1/2" hose that attached to the 50mm (2 inch) port, dust collection is very good.

I also have an overarm guard that I use now, it allows non through cuts, same 2 1/2" hose.

Saw cabinet has a 120mm (5 inch) port.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	B3 004.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.53 MB ID:	1162245Click image for larger version  Name:	Completed Installation.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	1162246

Before I spent money on an aftermarket guard that only works for some operations, I would look at an overarm guard. The Excelsior swings completely out of the way by releasing one locking lever, very handing for changing cutters or measuring, or in my case converting to the shaper.......Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I would have to agree with Rod's comments about the limitations of above-blade dust collection guards that connect to the riving knife, especially if you're planning to use a crosscut sled a lot. I had one of the original Excalibur over-arm guards on my Unisaw and loved everything about it.

In my case, because I have a slider, and therefore have no need for using crosscut sleds, my system works very well for me. Even though it has to come off for non-through cuts... because the bulk of my sawing is through cuts.

Therefore, if I were in the OP's situation, I'd go for an overarm guard similar to that which Rod has.
                All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

This thread left a bug in my ear,I have ordered a shark guard with 4" ports that is compatible with my riving knife system,I believe I have the air flow ,and this will also give me the choice of anti kick back pawls when needed.
                  Shawn_S likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m..
                    This thread left a bug in my ear,I have ordered a shark guard with 4" ports that is compatible with my riving knife system,I believe I have the air flow ,and this will also give me the choice of anti kick back pawls when needed.
                    I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Lol I'm trying to decide between the living knife mount or the overhead mounting attachments.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was more or less happy with my splitter mounted sawstop guard,except airflow was choked down from 4" to 1.5" at the guard. Had a few instances of small cut offs chocking the airflow,shouldn't happen with a unrestricted 4" intake.
                      there are pros and cons to overhead vs riving knive mounted,I tried overhead,found it awkward and cumbersome,therefore was less likely to use it,but defiantly has a advantage in some setups,non through cuts may be one,but then again,in that senario under the table collection should be the focus,but that's less than desirable on my saw.
                      no clear answers,table saw dust collection is difficult to cover all the bases
                      Shawn_S and MartyFromKingston like this.

Comment

Working...
                      X