Re: Oneida Cyclone install thread - lots of photos

I used two crazy karpets from wal-mart to make a liner. <$10
    nnieman likes this.
    Cheers
    Randy

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

i didnt want to make a hole in the body of cyclone but i suppose you can run the bleeder from side of the barrel to the lid as well instead of cyclone body.
      the main point is to equalize the pressure inside and outside the bag.
      Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Be careful the first couple of times you're jointing or planing, barrel fills quickly with light shavings and it's hard to stop in the middle of a large board.
        Brian @ Muir likes this.

Comment

Hey, Rod,

I've had the same thing happen with my cyclone and have been considering the purchase of a bin level sensor. I'm looking forward to hearing about your parts source and how things work out for their installation.

I'm a bit embarassed to tell you who the culprit was who caused the overload, though...

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

This is what it looks like when your buddy fails to check the bin level and only notices the lack of airflow when the planer starts blowing swarf everywhere.

I have now ordered a sensor, a flashing beacon and a power supply and will be putting in a bin full alarm......Rod.
          All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Hey, Ryan,

do you have a photo of the "bleeder line... " to clarify this for us?

Originally posted by callee View Post
            Great thread so far, thanks for posting!

I hate to say it after you did such a slick job on your pull out bin liner, but a small bleeder line from the main line to the bottom of the barrel works perfectly and does not involve any messing around with the liner when emptying. Something to consider.
            All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

Marty, you just need to run a tube from somehwere that is between the bag and barrel to where that is considered "inside" the bag (body of cyclone, or the lid where the 6" hose connects to lid). The issue with bags being sucked up is that when you install the bag, the air pressure between the bag and barrel is the air pressure outside; when you seal the lid and run the cyclone, the air pressure inside the cyclone body and barrel drops and hence the air pressure between the bag and barrel pushes the bag up.
              You just need to somehow balance the two air pressure by running a tube between the two chambers.
              Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                Hey, Ryan,

do you have a photo of the "bleeder line... " to clarify this for us?

Hey Marty, I'll do you one better, we've got a whole thread on it. There's a pic at the end. It really is an easy system, and makes emptying the bags really quick and easy. No muss no fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
                  I used two crazy karpets from wal-mart to make a liner. <$10
                  Randy,
                  That's twice what I paid for the piece of polystyrene but it is a great idea

David

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
                    Great thread so far, thanks for posting!

I hate to say it after you did such a slick job on your pull out bin liner, but a small bleeder line from the main line to the bottom of the barrel works perfectly and does not involve any messing around with the liner when emptying. Something to consider.
                    Ryan,
                    Thanks for the suggestion and the link to the thread on the bleeder line. If the insert becomes a pain, it's great to know that there is a simple solution.

David

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                      Be careful the first couple of times you're jointing or planing, barrel fills quickly with light shavings and it's hard to stop in the middle of a large board.
                      Hi John,
                      The volume of my new barrel is about the same as the volume of my old dust bin so I have a pretty good idea of how quickly it can fill up. You are right that planing can generate a lot of shavings in a short time.

My old dust collector was in a different room so it was not as convenient to monitor the dust level. I'm looking forward to firing up this new unit.

David

Comment

The cyclone did not come with any form of switch; the past owner turned the unit on and off by flipping the circuit breaker. This was not going to work for me since I wanted overload protection for the motor and I also wanted to add a way to control the motor from several places in the shop. A magnetic starter is the perfect solution for both of those requirements. As most of you know, a magnetic starter controls the power to the motor by closing and opening the contacts of a relay. The current draw required to open and close this relay is minimal even if the motor being controlled is large. To start the motor, a normally open switch is closed momentarily. To stop the motor, a normally closed switch is opened momentarily. It is possible to connect additional normally open switches in parallel and additional normally closed switches in series with the existing magnetic starter switches to start and stop the motor from different locations. In this case, low current wiring can be used to the remote switches, but each switch will still see the full voltage used to power the magnetic starter (120V or 240V).

For my setup, I wanted to be able to turn on and off the collector from several locations in my shop. More specifically, I wanted to be able to turn on the collector from one location and turn it off from another location. Additionally, I did not want to run 120V or 240V to each remote switch; instead, I wanted a lower voltage control. With these requirements (and my engineering degree), I designed a small control box that I mounted next to the magnetic starter. My plan is to connect a number of momentary switch pairs that I got from amazon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1036.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	360.4 KB
ID:	1162038

Name:	DSC_1061.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1162037

The circuitry in the control box is quite simple. I have two relays with contacts rated for 240V which are activated with 24V. One of the relays is wired as a normally open switch to power on the cyclone; the other relay is wired as a normally closed switch to shut down the cyclone. The connector on the front of the control box supplies the 24V to the remote switches which, when pressed, activate either the start relay or the stop relay. For those wondering, there is no harm in pressing both switches at the same time since the off switch takes priority. More details are shown in the rough circuit diagram below. I added a green and a red LED to the control box show when the ON and OFF relays are energized; these are not shown in the circuit diagram below.

Name:	ControlBox.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1162039

Now that I have power to the cyclone, I can finally give it a try and do some initial measurements for airflow. The main inlet is 7" in diameter so I connected a 10' section of spiral pipe and measured the airflow at the end. This unit draws a lot of air as shown by my anemometer. I measured a velocity of more than 8000 ft/min which is well over 2000 CFM. You can see the readings in the photos below. Keep in mind that my filters have not seen a particle of dust so they are never going to be this efficient again. Even so, I was impressed with the numbers.

Name:	DSC_0959.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1162040

Name:	DSC_0964.jpg
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1162043

As an additional test, I added a cheap 7" to 6" reducer (with a short taper) and then connected a 10' section of 6" flex hose. With this addition, the velocity dropped to 7800 ft/min which is about 1550 CFM. Still pretty good

Name:	DSC_0985.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	1162044

Name:	DSC_0980.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1162041

Name:	DSC_0978.jpg
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1162042

More to come as I start making connections to my machines...

David

Comment

Very much interested in details of your remote controls! Could you supply details (manufacturer, model, source,etc) of the relays and switches (amazon) that you used?
                          Thanks in advance.

I have the 2.5 hp Super Dust Gorilla with the Oneida remote. This is my second receiver, however, and the range is decreasing once
                          again so I expect it will need replacement again soon. This seems to be a common experience with this particular remote control...

Comment

Hi Kenneth,
                            I used to do a lot more hobby type electronic work back in the late 70's and 80's so I had a bunch of relays from then and used a pair in this project. I can look through my stash to see how many I have left and mail you a pair if you want.

The switches were from amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but the wording was confusing so I thought each switch had both a NO and a NC closed contact. It turned out that one of the switches is NO and the other NC but I needed both switches to be NO. I looked on aliexpress and found the switches I needed to replace the single NC switch in each of these stations. It took over a month to get these from China but the price was right. Depending on how many you need, I believe I have a few left that I can also send to you.

The 24V power supply was one I scrounged from my ever increasing box of old adapters, but you can also get something that would work from a local electronics store. When I look at my relay collection, I can see if I have an adapter that matches a relay and can also send this to you.

The box was one I had from years past.

I had to buy the terminal strip from a local electronic store.

Let me know if you are interested in more details since I would be glad to help.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth View Post
                              Very much interested in details of your remote controls! Could you supply details (manufacturer, model, source,etc) of the relays and switches (amazon) that you used?
                              Thanks in advance.

I have the 2.5 hp Super Dust Gorilla with the Oneida remote. This is my second receiver, however, and the range is decreasing once
                              again so I expect it will need replacement again soon. This seems to be a common experience with this particular remote control...
                              Hey Kenneth.

If you don't want to source parts and make one yourself, I picked up one of these on an amazon sale:

https://www.amazon.ca/PSI-Woodworkin...psi+long+range

Works up to 3.5HP single phase, I've been using it for about a year and a half now and it works great, push button start/stop too if you can't find the remote.

Comment

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
                                Hi Kenneth,
                                I used to do a lot more hobby type electronic work back in the late 70's and 80's so I had a bunch of relays from then and used a pair in this project. I can look through my stash to see how many I have left and mail you a pair if you want.

The switches were from amazon (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) but the wording was confusing so I thought each switch had both a NO and a NC closed contact. It turned out that one of the switches is NO and the other NC but I needed both switches to be NO. I looked on aliexpress and found the switches I needed to replace the single NC switch in each of these stations. It took over a month to get these from China but the price was right. Depending on how many you need, I believe I have a few left that I can also send to you.

The 24V power supply was one I scrounged from my ever increasing box of old adapters, but you can also get something that would work from a local electronics store. When I look at my relay collection, I can see if I have an adapter that matches a relay and can also send this to you.

The box was one I had from years past.

I had to buy the terminal strip from a local electronic store.

Let me know if you are interested in more details since I would be glad to help.

David
                                Very generous offer, David! If you can spare the relays and a couple of switch stations that would be great. However, I don't mind ordering from China and waiting, as I have done for other projects I've done such as my dust bin sensor and lathe low voltage controls and tachometer.

Comment

Working...
                                X