X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oneida Cyclone install thread - lots of photos

Originally posted by altiplano View Post

Hey Kenneth.

If you don't want to source parts and make one yourself, I picked up one of these on an amazon sale:

https://www.amazon.ca/PSI-Woodworkin...psi+long+range

Works up to 3.5HP single phase, I've been using it for about a year and a half now and it works great, push button start/stop too if you can't find the remote.
    Thanks for the link. I was aware of this solution, but I'm inclined toward giving David's approach a try.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Just a quick tip about ordering from China on Aliexpress - I have ordered a tonne of stuff from them, but at first I was always having to wait a month or more. Then one day after many orders, I suddenly noticed that when you're placing the order the line that gives the shipping charge is actually a pull down menu; it defaults to the cheapest/slowest option, but if you click on it there are usually other shipping options to choose from. the "e-packet" option is usually pretty fast - about two weeks in my experience - and usually only costs $2-3. Once I paid the extra $10 and they shipped it DHL and i had it in a week. the odd man out is still canadian customs i who take forever - but bottom line, i was pleasantly surprised at the other shipping options available.

Comment

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
        With these requirements (and my engineering degree), I designed a small control box that I mounted next to the magnetic starter.

Oh oh. Now you've done it. You've just dropped down a few rungs among this crowd. We are an oppressed minority on this Forum.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Oh oh. Now you've done it. You've just dropped down a few rungs among this crowd. We are an oppressed minority on this Forum.
          I was waiting for you to chime in, Randy. I'll try to climb back up the rungs but the damage may already have been done

David

Comment

Originally posted by callee View Post
            Just a quick tip about ordering from China on Aliexpress - I have ordered a tonne of stuff from them, but at first I was always having to wait a month or more. Then one day after many orders, I suddenly noticed that when you're placing the order the line that gives the shipping charge is actually a pull down menu; it defaults to the cheapest/slowest option, but if you click on it there are usually other shipping options to choose from. the "e-packet" option is usually pretty fast - about two weeks in my experience - and usually only costs $2-3. Once I paid the extra $10 and they shipped it DHL and i had it in a week. the odd man out is still canadian customs i who take forever - but bottom line, i was pleasantly surprised at the other shipping options available.
            Ryan,
            Thanks for the tip on shipping with Aliexpress. I have only used them a couple of times and the shipping took forever. I will look for that shipping option the next time I place an order.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Kenneth View Post

Very generous offer, David! If you can spare the relays and a couple of switch stations that would be great. However, I don't mind ordering from China and waiting, as I have done for other projects I've done such as my dust bin sensor and lathe low voltage controls and tachometer.
              Kenneth,
              Let me take a look to see what I have on hand and I will get back to you.

Can you give me details on your dust bin sensor since I may want to add that in addition to my windows.

Thanks,
              David

Comment

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post

Kenneth,
                Let me take a look to see what I have on hand and I will get back to you.

Can you give me details on your dust bin sensor since I may want to add that in addition to my windows.

Thanks,
                David
                For the bin sensor, see my post

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....30#post2563730

and others in the thread started by Ben Rivel.

Comment

Here's an update on my progress with the cyclone install. I spent some time figuring out how I was going to connect to each machine and that allowed me to determine that I needed the fittings shown below

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1162589

You can see that I have quite a range including 7-7-6, 6-4-4, 6-5-3, among others. Although not shown, I also have my spiral pipe, 45 and 90 degree sweep elbows as well as a number of self cleaning blast gates from Lee Valley.

Before running any pipe, I decided to open up the port on my General 350 tablesaw from 4" to 5". A sawzall with a metal cutting blade worked well, but the end result is not pretty. Even so, I think it will work.

Name:	IMG_20180125_0759219.jpg
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1162587

The mainline from the cyclone takes a 7" pipe that is about 5' off the ground. You can see the wall bracket used to hold the pipe and you can also see a 7-7-6 fitting for my drum sander. I will get some photos when I add the blast gate and the 6" flex hose.

Name:	DSC_1058.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1162579

I extended the mainline at this same height past my window before adding a 45 degree elbow to transition to the ceiling. My window opening is just over 49" wide and I have used it in the past to bring in 4x8 sheets so I didn't want the pipe to be in the way.

Name:	DSC_1072.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1162584

You can see the next fitting which is also a 7-7-6 and it goes to my jointer, table saw and a 4" pipe that I can use with a flex hose when working at my bench or vacuuming the floor. My 8" jointer doesn't need a 6" port, but I would like to upgrade this machine in the future so I am planning ahead. I was hoping to only use flex hose on the machine side of each blast gate, but that would have placed the blast gate in an awkward position for the jointer. I don't think this short section will have any negative effects.

Name:	DSC_1080.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1162588

Name:	DSC_1068.jpg
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1162581

In case you are wondering, the 2.5" clear pipe is connected to my shop vac. I use it with my sander and my domino since I find the suction with a small hose to be better.

The photos below show the 5" connection to my table saw and the 4" pipe that terminates at a blast gate at the end of my outfeed table.

Name:	DSC_1065.jpg
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	1162582

Name:	DSC_1075.jpg
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1162585

Name:	DSC_1077.jpg
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	1162586

I used both screws and silicone to ensure an airtight seal between the spiral hose and the blast gate. I'd love to hear if anyone has a better way to connect blast gates. The rest of the joints are secured with 1 or 2 sheet metal screws and then foil tape.

Name:	DSC_1066.jpg
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	1162583

Cutting the spiral pipe has not been as quick as I had hoped. I thought I could use my jigsaw with a metal blade and do a plunge cut, but the blade just skipped around on the pipe. Next, I tried starting the cut with my hacksaw, but the kerf is a little narrow for my jigsaw blade. The solution I am using now is to start the cut with my hacksaw, widen the kerf with my sawzall and then insert my jigsaw blade and make the cut. How have others cut their spiral pipe? I'm thinking there must be an easier way.

Stay tuned for more updates as I connect in to more of the machinery.

David

Attached Files

Comment

I used a thin metal cutting disc on my5" angle grinder to cut spiral duct, then debarred with a file

Comment

A second vote for a Zip wheel on an angle grinder. Real quick , mark it out and you end up with a nice clean cut. For sealing your joints this sealer is the cats meow. Excuse the dust in the pic. It works exceptionally well on your tee's and other joints. It is available at most HVAC suppliers. You will have a nice system but I am afraid all those pipes on the floor are going to be a PITA when it comes to clean up . Use masking tape when applying the sealer to get a nicer looking application as the sealer will runClick image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1465.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1162649Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1466.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1162650
                      If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

I would suggest try to run all you pipes over head as much as possible and then drop where they are needed only (nothing running on the floor).
                        For table saw I drop to the right of it (right of fence) and then run it under the table to the back of tablesaw. All is under the extension table.
                        Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
                          I would suggest try to run all you pipes over head as much as possible and then drop where they are needed only (nothing running on the floor).
                          For table saw I drop to the right of it (right of fence) and then run it under the table to the back of tablesaw. All is under the extension table.
                          I agree. That's a tripping hazard.

I ordered parts to build a bin sensor off of eBay.
                          Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Originally posted by mreza View Post
                            Good point about not running pipe along the floor. In my case, the pipe you see on the floor will be covered by a table that I had to remove to do get to that area. Once the table is back in place, there will be no way to get through that area. All of my other runs will be overhead.

David

Comment

To cut the pipe I drill a 1/4" hole and then use a metal cutting blade in the jig saw...

Cheers, Don
                              Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
                              Product Photography
                              My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
                                A second vote for a Zip wheel on an angle grinder. Real quick , mark it out and you end up with a nice clean cut. For sealing your joints this sealer is the cats meow. Excuse the dust in the pic. It works exceptionally well on your tee's and other joints. It is available at most HVAC suppliers. You will have a nice system but I am afraid all those pipes on the floor are going to be a PITA when it comes to clean up . Use masking tape when applying the sealer to get a nicer looking application as the sealer will runClick image for larger version Name:	IMG_1465.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1162649Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1466.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	1162650
                                Brian,
                                Do you prefer the sealer over using foil tape?

I will check it out for my blast gates.
                                Thanks,
                                David

Comment

Working...
                                X