Oneida Cyclone install thread - lots of photos

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oneida Cyclone install thread - lots of photos

I purchased an Oneida cyclone off Kijiji back in the summer and I finally have some time to start the installation. I plan on showing you my progress over the next few weeks in this thread. I hope you don't mind lots of photos

The cyclone is about 10 years old and has a 2HP Leeson motor with a 13.5" impeller. The unit came with the standard Oneida filter, but I decided to upgrade to a pair or Wynn Environmental pleated filters (13F230NANO) with a total surface area of 460 square feet. Here is a photo of one of the filters. Dick Wynn recommended I go with filters without the inner cage to make it easier to clean so I took his advice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13F230NANA.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1161284

I have a basement shop with a ceiling height of 89" so I don't have the height to connect the filters in series. Instead, I built a plenum box to attach to the output of the cyclone and hold both filters in parallel. The box is made from 3/4" and 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood and the joints are glued and taped with aluminum foil to ensure an air tight seal. I cut out the two filter holes with a router and a trammel and used T-nuts to allow me to attach and remove the filters without having to open the plenum. To help reduce turbulence within the box, I bent a piece of plywood around the curved forms shown in the first photo. I also stapled in place some scraps of carpet.

Name:	DSC_0889_cropped.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1161285

Name:	DSC_0893_cropped.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1161286

Name:	DSC_0896_cropped.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1161287

With the plenum box completed, it was time to work out the location for the cyclone and the filters. My biggest dust producer is a dual drum sander so I located the cyclone at that end of the shop. I built a bracket system and attached it to the wall to hold the motor and the impeller. With the help of a neighbour, we got the motor and impeller lifted into place and I breathed a sigh of relief when we let go and nothing came crashing down. I attached the plenum box to the motor housing with bolts and added a temporary 2x4 to hold up the far end. Next up, I will be ready to mount the filters and add a more permanent support for the plenum box.

Name:	DSC_0900.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1161288

Stay tuned for my next update coming soon.

David

Wally in Calgary and nnieman like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Oneida Cyclone install thread - lots of photos

Why the carpet in the filter box?

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
      Why the carpet in the filter box?

Nathan
      I'm thinking it will reduce noise a bit and it may also reduce air turbulence within the box. Ideally, I would have had some large pants wye fabricated to direct the output to both filters, but I think the box will work well.

Comment

More progress to report on the dust collector install. I bolted the Wynn filters to the plenum ensuring the rubber gaskets were evenly compressed around their perimeter. The final step with the plenum was to replace the temporary 2x4 support with a bracket attached to the wall. So far, the entire assembly seems quite sturdy.

Name:	DSC_1012.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	1161478

The Wynn filters are open at the bottom so I needed to build a dust cleanout for each filter. I wanted something with a window so I could see the amount of dust build-up. I had some 3mm thick acrylic on hand so I decided to try my luck at bending the acrylic into a circle. To start, I cut a pair of plywood disks - one to mount to the bottom of the filter and the other a little smaller for the bottom of the cleanout. I routed a 3/16" wide groove in the shape of a circle in each disk to hold the acrylic once it was bent and then headed up to the kitchen and pre-heated the oven to 300F. The acrylic was too long for our oven so I needed to use 2 pieces for each circle. Fortunately, I had more than enough acrylic since it took me a few tries to get the acrylic just soft enough to bend but not too soft that it collapses on itself. The end result is not that pretty but it contains more than enough silicone to ensure an air-tight seal.

Name:	DSC_0993.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1161475

I used 6 bolts to attach the cleanout box to the bottom of the filter. There are no mounting holes in the filter, but the metal cap at the bottom has a lip that I can tighten the bolts and washers against. The filters came with a thick rubber gasket that I used between the filter and the cleanout for a good seal.

Name:	DSC_0988.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	1161476

Next up, it was time to attach the cyclone to the bottom of the motor housing. The photo below shows how I built up the height of a wheeled dolly so I could slide the cyclone under the motor housing and attach the collar clamp. This step was a lot easier than I thought.

Name:	DSC_0903_cropped.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1161473

With the cyclone in place, I measured 25" between the bottom of the cyclone and the floor. With a bit of testing, I determined that I could get away with as little as 3.5" for the flex hose connection between the cyclone and the dust bin. Doing the math left me with 21.5" for the combination of the dust bin and the wheeled base. I wanted to maximize the height of the dust bin so I recessed the wheels into the base which meant I needed a 20.5" high dust bin. The fiber barrel that came with my collector was much higher than that so I cut it to height by rotating it over the spinning blade on my table saw (sorry, no picture of doing this step but it was easily done). I made the bottom of the dust bin from a piece of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood. Similar to the dust cleanouts, I got out my router trammel to rout a 1/4" groove in the plywood the same diameter as the dust barrel. I then recessed the corners of the base for the casters. The finished base is shown in the photos below. The dust barrel fits nicely in this groove so once I get it prepared, I can silicone it to the base.

Name:	DSC_0910.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1161479

Name:	DSC_0911.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1161480

Name:	DSC_0912.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1161481

More to come tomorrow as I finish the work on the barrel.

David
        Attached Files
        nnieman likes this.

Comment

Coming along nicely David.

I installed vibration isolators on mine to minimize noise in the living room......Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Rod - I'm interested to hear more about the vibration isolators. Do you have any photos you can share? Is this something I need to do before I get too far along or is it an easy retrofit?

Thanks,
            David

Comment

I've got that Oneida cyclone with the 2HP Leeson too - not very common with the Leeson motor...

I bought it a couple years ago and have the original Oneida filter still - it works great - but I'm very interested to hear how the double filter works for you. Glad to see Wynn shipping to Canada again.

I have mine suspended between ceiling joists on home made angle iron brackets and there aren't any significant vibration issues.

Good luck with the install.

Comment

Originally posted by altiplano View Post
                I've got that Oneida cyclone with the 2HP Leeson too - not very common with the Leeson motor...

I bought it a couple years ago and have the original Oneida filter still - it works great - but I'm very interested to hear how the double filter works for you. Glad to see Wynn shipping to Canada again.

I have mine suspended between ceiling joists on home made angle iron brackets and there aren't any significant vibration issues.

Good luck with the install.
                I don't know if Wynn is shipping to Canada. I ordered my filters into a receiving service in Buffalo and picked them up there.

I'll be posting airflow numbers as part of my install which may give you an idea of the performance with these filters.

David

Comment

Might be worth looking into a bin sensor of some sort with your setup, an overfilled bin will plug those filters in a very short time. Nothing worse than trying to clean those filters.

Comment

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
                    Might be worth looking into a bin sensor of some sort with your setup, an overfilled bin will plug those filters in a very short time. Nothing worse than trying to clean those filters.

Name:	Full filter.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	832.8 KB
ID:	1161580

This is what it looks like when your buddy fails to check the bin level and only notices the lack of airflow when the planer starts blowing swarf everywhere.

I have now ordered a sensor, a flashing beacon and a power supply and will be putting in a bin full alarm......Rod.

Comment

Good progress. Yes, put a bin sensor. You regret it if you don't.
                      As for vibration isolator, you can use some form of thick foam (like double layer of those pipe insulations you find in plumbing departments) between the cyclone body and the bracket it sits on.
                      Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

The groove I routed in the base fits the barrel perfectly so I should get a good seal when I add the silicone.

Name:	DSC_0908.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	1161655

Before doing that, I cut a window in the barrel to allow me to visually monitor the dust level. Since the barrel is made of fibre, I was able to cut the opening with a utility knife .

Name:	DSC_0913.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1161653

I cut a piece of 3mm acrylic larger than the window and bolted it to the inside of the barrel. Any gaps between the barrel and the acrylic were filled with silicone which was also used to seal the barrel to the base. I was able to do a cleaner job here than the silicone on the acrylic dust cleanouts.

Name:	DSC_0918.jpg
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	1161654

Rather than having to empty the barrel into a garbage bin or bag, I had previously ordered some clear garbage bags from amazon to fit inside the barrel. With the reduced height of the barrel, the bags easily fit with lots of overhang around the rim.

Name:	DSC_0922.jpg
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	1161651

There was one final step with the barrel - I needed something to prevent the garbage bag from being sucked into the cyclone. I checked with my local plastics supplier to see what they had that I could bend into a cylinder to keep the garbage bag in place. They had some clear PETG sheets that are thin and flexible that I could make a cylinder; the only problem was they only sold them in 4' x 8' sheets which was a lot more than I needed (both in size and $$). As an alternative, they had an offcut of HIPS (high impact polystyrene) that was close in size to what I needed but it was not clear. The price was right so I decided to give it a try. Forming the cylinder was easy (no oven required ) and I used bolts to fasten the two ends together. The only problem I had was that the cylinder distorted when I cut out the windows needed to see the dust level in the barrel. This was easily rectified by bolting on a couple of pieces of clear acrylic above and below the windows; this flattened out the HIPS enough to get back to a cylinder. I bolted on two handles to make it easy to remove the cylinder and I covered the bolt heads with masking tape so they won't get snagged when I pull it out from the garbage bag. If the masking tape doesn't last, I will look for a more permanent solution (perhaps more silicone or foil tape).

Name:	DSC_1025.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1161656

Name:	DSC_1026.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1161652

With this HIPS cylinder inside the barrel, the garbage bag should stay in place and I will be able to monitor the dust level with a quick glance. In the future, I may look into a bin level sensor since I don't want to fill both of my filters like shown in one of Rod's photos. However, I am hoping that the combination of the window in the dust bin and the acrylic cleanouts will make it easy enough to monitor the level and pull out the garbage bag before going too far.

Name:	DSC_1029.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	1161658

Name:	DSC_1034.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1161657

Next up will be the electrical connections...

David

Comment

Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
                          Rod - I'm interested to hear more about the vibration isolators. Do you have any photos you can share? Is this something I need to do before I get too far along or is it an easy retrofit?

Thanks,
                          David

Name:	Cyclone Isolators.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1161688

Hi, the isolators are on top of the angle. There was a low frequency rumble in the floor joists before I installed them, and the cyclone is directly below the living room..........Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	Full filter.jpg Views:	1 Size:	832.8 KB ID:	1161580

This is what it looks like when your buddy fails to check the bin level and only notices the lack of airflow when the planer starts blowing swarf everywhere.

I have now ordered a sensor, a flashing beacon and a power supply and will be putting in a bin full alarm......Rod.
                            I’ve done that and it isn’t any fun what comes after that picture.

I still haven’t bought a sensor, but I thought of using a little time delay relay. To cut the power to the coil in the mag starter a minute or so after the light starts flashing.
                            Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Great thread so far, thanks for posting!

I hate to say it after you did such a slick job on your pull out bin liner, but a small bleeder line from the main line to the bottom of the barrel works perfectly and does not involve any messing around with the liner when emptying. Something to consider.

Comment

Working...
                              X