Best Source for ClearVue 1800?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Source for ClearVue 1800?

I've been nursing a pipe dream all morning ever since John JMK mentioned how he had upgraded his DC to a Clearvue 1800. I've noticed an annoying regularity in how whatever John JMK does, I seem to end up doing it a few years later! But despite all the upgrades I've made, I'm just not satisfied with the performance of the craftex/super dust deputy set up I have now. It would probably be fine for a smaller shop, but I think I just have too much ducting to too many machines. So when John mentioned his Clearvue this morning, I googled it and started reading all about it. I'm pretty twitterpated on it at the moment, but I'm wondering what the best source would be in Canada? Ontario specifically?

I notice Stockroom supply says it can order them in, but I'm not sure the price is competitive and the shipping would be a few hundred extra.

Any good tips?

Thanks!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Best Source for ClearVue 1800?

My only tip would be to look at what Oneida offers in the same catagory as welbecks was very good to deal with for me,I see it as a Ford Chevy thing,so went with the people who were easiest to deal with

Comment

I would keep my eye open for a used Oneida as they do come up once and a while. I have a Torit cyclone that I paid $75 for, good heavy commercial unit.
      have never seen a Clearview used for sale.

Brian

If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

There is a system in Cambridge on kijji,cyclone and ducting look good,I'd replace the bags with a Wynn or comparable filter,asking 1250(good starting point considering the price of ducts)

Comment

Ryan,

When you're ready to sell off your old DC, ensure you let us know here first. Many of our members with smaller sized shops are interested in taking their first plunge into dust collection, and your "old" unit is likely more than capable of satisfying their requirements.
          All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
          - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Well Ryan I got rid of the Clearvue in 2013 and went to a Felder RL160. Thats another story and has its own set of problems. The problem with cyclones and a fulltime woodworking is that you have to have a fairly large bin if you are doing a lot of jointing and planing. This is a problem for many with standard 8' ceilings. This bin should be minimum 55 Gal. IMHO and also have some sort of level indicator. The indicator should be set low enough in the bin to allow you enough time to finish any started board. I personally got into trouble doing oversized pieces like 14" x 12' x 8/4. A couple of pieces and the bin is full. Once the bin on a cyclone is filled it dumps into your filters and plugs them. Once you have had to clean the filters you will understand.

First place I would make sure it will work in your situation. I contact would Clearvue so you know what it costs and how much shipping is from them. I know you are very close to your money and that may save you some. It was a pleasure in 2008 dealing with Ed Morgano, I don't believe Ed is connected to them anymore but they carry on with his attitude. Shipping back then was approx. $250.00 USD without filters. The 2 filters were custom made in Hamilton for under $200.00 for the pair, the next set were made like the current Wynn and 2 of them cost $225.00 for the pair.

As for Oneida I personally won't deal with him because of the strife they caused Bill Pentz. There was info out there at one time that indicated that they took some of Bill's advice and altered their cone design later in the 2000's to be more efficient with no compensation. Many have them and are happy and don't know any history or care. If you go that route stick with the newer higher HP models with full cones and good flow curves.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by John JMK View Post
              Well Ryan I got rid of the Clearvue in 2013 and went to a Felder RL160. Thats another story and has its own set of problems. The problem with cyclones and a fulltime woodworking is that you have to have a fairly large bin if you are doing a lot of jointing and planing. This is a problem for many with standard 8' ceilings. This bin should be minimum 55 Gal. IMHO and also have some sort of level indicator. The indicator should be set low enough in the bin to allow you enough time to finish any started board. I personally got into trouble doing oversized pieces like 14" x 12' x 8/4. A couple of pieces and the bin is full. Once the bin on a cyclone is filled it dumps into your filters and plugs them. Once you have had to clean the filters you will understand.

First place I would make sure it will work in your situation. I contact would Clearvue so you know what it costs and how much shipping is from them. I know you are very close to your money and that may save you some. It was a pleasure in 2008 dealing with Ed Morgano, I don't believe Ed is connected to them anymore but they carry on with his attitude. Shipping back then was approx. $250.00 USD without filters. The 2 filters were custom made in Hamilton for under $200.00 for the pair, the next set were made like the current Wynn and 2 of them cost $225.00 for the pair.

As for Oneida I personally won't deal with him because of the strife they caused Bill Pentz. There was info out there at one time that indicated that they took some of Bill's advice and altered their cone design later in the 2000's to be more efficient with no compensation. Many have them and are happy and don't know any history or care. If you go that route stick with the newer higher HP models with full cones and good flow curves.

You upgraded again to a felder already?! Geeze John, I wish you'd checked with me first!!

I agree with you on the 55 gallon barrel - that's what I have now and it's barely enough. One of the things I like about my current set up is that the old craftex DC is still intact (I just ran a flex line up to the SDD) with it's collection bag on the bottom (with a filter on the top). So if the barrel does fill up without me noticing (or, more often, the fine shavings from all the basswood I plane bottleneck and clog up the SDD rather than falling into the barrel), the shavings just start filling up the old collection bag. I probably have to empty it every two months or so.

I'm still thinking a lot about the clearvue, I have to double check the measurements but I think I'm about 5" shy of being able to fit it with a 55 gallon drum. I've seen a lot of guys though with squat little square roll-out bins. Using only a bit more floor space, you could save a lot of height and probably still easily fit one or two hundred gallons. A nice square bin like that would be easy enough to make. Worth thinking about in any case.

Can you tell me though, what made you get rid of the clearvue? Can you comment on its performance generally?
              thanks!

Comment

i have the cv1800 but i would get the cv-max to best utilize the motor. the 15" impeller is only using about 4 out of 5hp motor has.
                Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

The main reason was the small bin, the RL has 2 bins connected on a roll out carriage, total capacity 400 Liters. Roll out the carriage, tie the bags, put in new bags, roll back and lock. It doesn't matter to the filters if the bins are over filled, excess just spills over on the floor and has to cleaned up. Much easier and faster then cleaning filters. The RL also pulls roughly 200 more CFM then the Clearvue with seasoned filters, has a good honest curve on the spec sheets and is reasonably quiet. If I can find my old test sheet that has the actual cfm and velocity numbers done with a professional grade 4" anemometer, I'll post it to you.

The Clearvue CV1800 IMHO has the best bang for the buck in todays market. The specs for CFM are not over blown like most manufactures. I have a friend that got the CV1800 MAX and his main complaint was the cost of the 8" main ducting requirement and not much better performance unless you want to work with multiple gates open. He figures it cost him at least $750.00 in ducting to setup. The main trick with the cyclone is to take the 6" ducting right to the machine, increase the machine opening if possible or step down at the machine. Also get there blast gates if you can they are a full 6" unlike most aftermarket units.

Comment

Over the Christmas holidays I bought a CV1800. I had it shipped to Kinek in Niagara Falls NY. Kinek was about $45 and tax was about $260 when I crossed. I would do it again. Very easy to do everything. I also used the Stumpy Nubs discount code to save a little bit too.

Comment

Working...
                    X