A below the table dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A below the table dust collection

To expand on the above the table collection discussion,below the table is also important,and thinking a little outside the box,has anyone tried,or thought about perforation of zero clearance inserts? We all know zero clearance inserts are necasarry to reduce chipping,etc,but reduce airflow at the blade. Would perforating the insert with a series of holes help? I know if the workpiece completely covers the holes,it would not help,but in some cases that my above the blade collection is hampered is when the workpiece is not very wide,the above the blade guard only covers half the work,dust escapes on the other side of the blade.in this case ,could a perforation of the zero clearance insert take over?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: A below the table dust collection

I've seen newer bandsaw with such a design.

the table insert has many holes which I'm sure if for dust collection.

certainly it couldn't hurt, especially when the ZCI's are DIY.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

No need to do that.

If you don't cover up the holes in your base where the blade adjustment handles protrude, you should have more than enough airflow to enable your dust collection to work effectively. At least that was the case with my Unisaw and its zero-clearance inserts that I had for years.
      smallerstick likes this.
      All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

The idea works on the router table,just wondering

Comment

Any ore dialogue on this? I can't help but think,a mod like this would channel airflow directly past the blade,pulling dust in its path,and emptying the gullets as it moves From top of the table to the base of the saw.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
            Any ore dialogue on this? I can't help but think,a mod like this would channel airflow directly past the blade,pulling dust in its path,and emptying the gullets as it moves From top of the table to the base of the saw.
            all you can do is try

fire up a few mdf diy inserts, drill a few holes and give it a go.

I like the idea, and need to make some zci's... but I'm slow and it could me a while.
            [insert something witty here]

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

To expand on the above the table collection discussion,below the table is also important,and thinking a little outside the box,has anyone tried,or thought about perforation of zero clearance inserts? We all know zero clearance inserts are necasarry to reduce chipping,etc,but reduce airflow at the blade. Would perforating the insert with a series of holes help? I know if the workpiece completely covers the holes,it would not help,but in some cases that my above the blade collection is hampered is when the workpiece is not very wide,the above the blade guard only covers half the work,dust escapes on the other side of the blade.in this case ,could a perforation of the zero clearance insert take over?
              Hi, That would be extremely unlikely as you would never get enough airflow or velocity to capture the dust.

Increasing the flow at your overhead hood will help however..........Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Hi, That would be extremely unlikely as you would never get enough airflow or velocity to capture the dust.

Increasing the flow at your overhead hood will help however..........Rod.
                I have ordered a shark guard wit 4" intake,that should be a improvement in the overhead collection. For the heck of it,I ran the d c with the insert removed,the cfm according to my guessometer is dramatically less at the insert than it is at the 5" port at the base of the saw,I'm assuming it is due to the volume of the cabinet

Comment

I built my router table with DC built into the fence as well as under the table. There is enough airflow under the table as is to eliminate all dust and almost all chips (there are always a couple left in the back corners) in the router cavity. I should also point out the that DC port on the fence is of the behind-the-bit style, not the above-the-bit style, and that probably matters.

The inserts are not perforated. In fact, I try to choose the insert that gives me the tightest clearance to the bit. Not to prevent airflow, but to keep the piece from diving around the bit.

The DC might have something to do with dust-free routing. It's a Clearvue CV-MAX, 8" duct mains, 6" drop to the router table, split to two 4" hoses (one to the fence, one to the router cavity). It is overkill when I'm just using the router table, but airflow is never an issue.
                  Mark Kornell, Kornell Wood Design

Comment

I drilled a series of 1/2 or 3/4 inch holes in my inserts on both sides of the blade. Really helps!

Comment

Working...
                    X