Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Karcher WD5/P - Possible alternative to Bosch, Fein, Festool Vacs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karcher WD5/P - Possible alternative to Bosch, Fein, Festool Vacs?

So I ordered one of these vacuums from Costco, and have had it for about a week now. I wasn't able find out a lot on the Internet before purchase, but decided to give it a whirl:

https://www.costco.ca/K%C3%A4rcher-W...100340415.html

It appears that Amazon and Home Depot also carry them at a higher price.

Let me preface this by saying that I have no experience with Festool vacs other than gazing at them longingly at Lee Valley. I'm very happy with the two Festool sanders I have, and based on that would like to get a CT26 eventually, but at 1/4 the price, I figured it was worth giving the Karcher a shot. Besides, Costco has a very good return policy if the quality is lacking.

That being said, so far I'm pretty impressed, especially at the price point. So far I've used it for some general cleanup and about an hour and a half of sanding. I also used it to vacuum the house for the hell of it as the accessories from our old Miele vac fit.

PROS:

The power tool takeoff works very well with sanders. It has a warning to put no more than a 6a load on it, so not sure if it could handle a mitre saw,etc.

Variable suction is great for sanding, and is varies enough from the low end to full power to be useful.

Filtration isn't HEPA rated but it seems to work well. It uses a fleece bag and automotive type paper filter. No visible dust is escaping. There is a tiny amount inside the canister which is only visible if wipe your fingers across the plastic. Filter is also accessible without opening up the canister.

Power-seems to have plenty

Quiet - in my opinion it is very quiet, can't hear it over the sander running in any case. Tested it with the db meter on my phone and it was 79 db at high power and around 69-70 at the lowest.

Filter Bags - relatively cheap, about $30 for 4 OEM bags, and $25 for 10 generic bags on Amazon. Large capacity, vacuum capacity is 25L and filter bag papers to take up most of the space in the canister.

Filter cleaning system- haven't seen a need to try it yet so can't comment. Imagine it would be useful if you weren' t using a bag.

Can be used for wet pickup.

Has a blower

Seems reasonably well built

Includes accessories- floor/wet pickup brush, crevice tool,rubber tool connector, 2x suction tubes

Long, heavy gauge power cord

CONS:

Wheels are a little small, it maneuvers well but gets hung up on the power cord

Suction tubes are kind of flimsy

Hose is kind of short and not anti-static.

As I've said I'm pretty happy with it so far. I can't imagine it compares to a CT26, but for someone on a budget it may be a good solution. If anyone has any questions fire away and I'll try to answer.

Cheers,

Andre
    stotto likes this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Karcher WD5/P - Possible alternative to Bosch, Fein, Festool Vacs?

Andre,

Thanx for the review. Being a bit of a vacuum nut ( Fein , Festool, Rigid, Shop Vac and Stanley vacuums all have a place in my tiny shop.) I'm always interested in other potential vacuums out there.

I'll check around to see if the Karcher vac is available any place other than costco in Edmonton.
    http://www.woodmonkey.ca

Comment

Re: Karcher WD5/P - Possible alternative to Bosch, Fein, Festool Vacs?

Interesting. HD price for me here in NS is $30 cheaper than costco (plus our membership has to be renewed, so that is another $50)

My Shopvac is getting old and I would love the auto on/off feature with a sander. I will have to keep this one in mind.

Does it fit a standard shopvac hose? or does it have some proprietary size/interface for the hose? I don't want to have to re do all the stuff I have set up for mine already.

Comment

Working...
      X