Shark guard arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark guard arrived

i now have a shark guard on my saw. My saw is a craftex cx 200 with quick change riving knive. This version of the shark guard is mounted on a riving knive,that comes with the guard and is a direct fit on my saw. It follows the blade. I opted for the 4" port and have it ducted directly overhead with four inch "ridged" flex hose from Lee valley. I have a five inch port below the table,with a 3 hp Oneida pulling the air.I have added a pattern of hole to a zero clearance insert I posted about a few weeks ago. I cut a bunch of mdf as a test for the system,with cuts that were both Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1171023Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1171024 thin and wider ones. In the past I found thin cuts were the most challenging for dust control with dust spilling out to the side if the thin cut.i have found this set up works very well,better than anything I have tried previously,including the thin cuts. The only place for inprovement is at the end of the cut,when dust still kicks towards the operator( as the blade exits the work) I am not too concerned as this is a huge improvement from the stock set up,but am thinking a moustache type set up some here have promoted would further improve the results at the end of a cut.Visability and safety are also enhanced,
    Wally in Calgary, Frank D. and 2 others like this.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shark guard arrived

Looks good Al.

Once you have overhead dust collection you wonder why you didn't do it years ago......................Rod.
    Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Love my Shark Guard. After you've used it for a week or two, double check all the screws that hold the side plates on are still tight, If any are loose add some locktite and snug them back down.

Mine was built with fixed height splitter plates (mine came with two plates), so I have to be careful that the splitter I'm using is tall enough so the material being cut passes underneath the guard attachment point, its the only problem I've run into with mine so far.

John
      Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Al,

I took a good long hard look at "whiskering" my blade guard. After trying out a friend's saw who'd added them to his guard, I decided the obstructed view wasn't worth the additional dust collection improvement.
        All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
          Al,

I took a good long hard look at "whiskering" my blade guard. After trying out a friend's saw who'd added them to his guard, I decided the obstructed view wasn't worth the additional dust collection improvement.
          my gut feeling is I would end up thinking the same. The visual is very important to me,even if out of my perrifial I want to be able to see the blade.I am moving some serious volume of air both above and below,and the amount escaping is minimal,this is the best table saw dust collection I have personally experianced

Comment

Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post
            Love my Shark Guard. After you've used it for a week or two, double check all the screws that hold the side plates on are still tight, If any are loose add some locktite and snug them back down.

Mine was built with fixed height splitter plates (mine came with two plates), so I have to be careful that the splitter I'm using is tall enough so the material being cut passes underneath the guard attachment point, its the only problem I've run into with mine so far.

John
            thanks for the tip John

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
              Looks good Al.

Once you have overhead dust collection you wonder why you didn't do it years ago......................Rod.
              thanks Rod. I have had above the table collection in the past.up to now I have been using a sawstop guard I modified to fit my saw,and although it worked reasonably well,the intake was just over a inch or so,dramatically restricting airflow,and the porting of the air through the spine of the guard had a hoot of plugging ,and only disassembly of the guard would unplug it. It also had wings on each side designed to keep the gap between the guard and table closed,but had a tendancy to wander into the blade.I also had borrowed a a Excalibur over arm guard from a fine gentleman on the forum here to try,found it awkward.
              The shark guard seems to be a good fit for me

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                my gut feeling is I would end up thinking the same. The visual is very important to me,even if out of my perrifial I want to be able to see the blade.I am moving some serious volume of air both above and below,and the amount escaping is minimal,this is the best table saw dust collection I have personally experianced
                I am in the same boat visual wise, however if I ever decide to order some of the whisker stuff I figure I can use it on the other 3 sides of the overhead guard I have.
                [insert something witty here]

Comment

Tom,

If you do that, the 3 broomed sides will hold the bottom of your guard higher than the "open" side. I think that may actually degrade your collection capability rather than improve it.

Originally posted by beakie View Post

I am in the same boat visual wise, however if I ever decide to order some of the whisker stuff I figure I can use it on the other 3 sides of the overhead guard I have.
                  Last edited by MartyFromKingston; 03-08-2018, 01:01 PM.
                  All the best,

Marty

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Hi Guys.
                    I have done some R&D with strip brushes and they do not work very well on this type of guard.
                    They would work much better with an overarm guard where you position it's height above the material being cut.
                    The Shark Guard travels up and over the top of material. At the end of the cut, it moves back down, but not completely. A brush strip or mustache would be good here if it swung down to the table. No way to do that that will not get in the way when feeding. It will just have the last little bit of a cut flung forward.

One tip that will help with dust collection is to lower the riving knife until the rear of the guard is almost touching the material you are cutting. For splitter versions, using the right splitter helps.
                    If cleaning up an edge, you can attach a shield to the left side of the guard to support the guard at the material height. Use a spring clamp or something lightweight.
                    Transparent if possible. This will block off the dust flying out on that type of cut and allow it to go up the dust chute.
                    Hope this helps.
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by Leeway View Post
                      Hi Guys.
                      I have done some R&D with strip brushes and they do not work very well on this type of guard.
                      They would work much better with an overarm guard where you position it's height above the material being cut.
                      The Shark Guard travels up and over the top of material. At the end of the cut, it moves back down, but not completely. A brush strip or mustache would be good here if it swung down to the table. No way to do that that will not get in the way when feeding. It will just have the last little bit of a cut flung forward.

One tip that will help with dust collection is to lower the riving knife until the rear of the guard is almost touching the material you are cutting. For splitter versions, using the right splitter helps.
                      If cleaning up an edge, you can attach a shield to the left side of the guard to support the guard at the material height. Use a spring clamp or something lightweight.
                      Transparent if possible. This will block off the dust flying out on that type of cut and allow it to go up the dust chute.
                      Hope this helps.
                      Thanks for the input. I an pleased with dust collection,even when cleaning a edge with my set up,it really does work very well. I only mentioned a bit of dust at the end of the cut because,well it's the only noticeable dust there is!Thats hard to beat,and I'm pleased .
                      perhaps a moustache at the front of the guard might help,maybe not,for now I'm inclined to leave well enough to alone and get a few miles on this set up as a true test,and mainly it's the perforated insert that will be under scutiny

Comment

I've put a couple projects behind me since installing the Sharkguard,and for most operations it works very well. Not sure if a saw stash is worth the extra expense and reduced visibility for the limited times it might help.
                        overall I'm pleased

Comment

Working...
                        X