Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8ntractor
    replied
    thank you for the information. I ended up just putting the collector in the corner I will eventually run the pipe outside I am still debating weather to exhaust out side or move the whole thing outside. my shop is also not heated NS winters are not bad either.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I sense you're feeling less and less love. We can fix that too.

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    We don't get much snow here. Less and less every year too.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Maybe my neighbours and I can help with some moving expenses.

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    The collector isn't too loud.

More importantly, I do complimentary snow removal for all of my neighbours.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Are you in a remote area or do you have a quiet collector? I know my neighbours would scream blue murder if it were overused day after day and I wouldn't blame them.

Leave a comment:

• bender
    replied
    I put the whole dust collector outside when it's running. It's on wheeled base. No heat in the shop. Toronto's not so cold most of the year.

Leave a comment:

• Doug G
    replied
    It would be good if the OP came back and let us know how he ultimately resolved this. I think if he put a Thien baffle ahead of the DC inlet that would remove 90% or more of the wood chips and only the fine dust would be exhausted outside. One additional thing I would do is rather than taper the exhaust immediately, I would run the exhaust up at least a few feet at the full 20" diameter before tapering down to 4" or 6" out the wall. The reason for this is to reduce the air velocity so the dust can fall out of the airstream and fall back into the bottom bag. You could also leave the upper bag in place and build an enclosure outside the bag say 4" bigger diameter than the bag with a 6" vent off the top to the outside. If you did that you could experiment with and without the bag to see whether the bag makes a difference.

Leave a comment:

• 8ntractor
    replied
    Thank you for writing this thread I made the same assumptions and wanted to vent my dust collector outside into a barrel. I am debating moving the whole collector outside now after seeing the issues you had. The area where the dust collection would be is under a bedroom window maybe 10 ft away. My Shop is tiny < 200sq ft. and I have many machines. so getting rid of the dust collector or sticking it to the wall and running it outside make a lot of sense. I do not heat the shop. How did you end up?

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    LOL. You pretty much made yourself a upside down cyclone. That ramp is being used backwards now and the chips speed up in the cone and will just go straight out the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CEB64472-1944-4900-A5F4-41D2CD459CB2.jpeg
Views:	1281
Size:	805.6 KB
ID:	1171593
    Last edited by Matt Matt; 03-09-2018, 09:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Robert I
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dustcollectorinside_1952.JPG
Views:	1133
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1171585 It's really great to have all this brain power working on my problem. Thanks again. John I think you've described the situation well. The filter bag doesn't get sucked into the machine because it normally hangs by the top from a hook and it's clamped at the bottom. Rather than restrict things though, I'm really intrigued by the Thein idea which in theory would increase my collector's capacity. Matt requested photos so I'm attaching one of the outside with the reducer attached to where the filter bag normally hangs. The other shows the interior Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1957.JPG
Views:	1368
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1171584

Leave a comment:

• John Bartley
    replied
    Just a guess....

I wonder if the problem has to do with pressure and flow. When the filter bag is in place the inside of the filter gets coated with a thing that I think I is called a "cake"? The cake is effectively a restriction, which slows down the flow of air, allowing the larger chips to fall out of the circular air flow at the collector neck (cyclone?). When you remove that restriction and allow the air to flow unimpeded to the outside you change the nature of the "neck" at the collector and it becomes a venturi? and sucks all the material out of the collection bag. I am surprised that the collection bag did not get sucked up into the discharge pipe.

If I am correct, you could try reducing the end of the outlet pipe to a very small diameter (think "cone") and experiment to get the correct amount of restriction so that your venturi goes back to being a cyclone ...

There it is, incorrect terminology and all .... fire away !!
    Last edited by John Bartley; 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM. Reason: spelin ... agin!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Matt
    replied
    I thein type separator or barrel lid separator are pretty decent in the situations. A Cyclone separator is even better as it ramps up the speed of the fines and pulls them out of the airstream. Do you have any pictures of your set up and where were you originally collecting chips (bag or bucket)?

is the blower before or after the collection chip bag or container?

Leave a comment:

• Robert I
    replied
    I really appreciate the responses so far. Combustion heat and temperature are not part of the equation. The only heat is passive solar which is warmer than outdoors but still chilly on a cold day.

Regards,
    Robert I

Leave a comment:

• woodhack1
    replied
    I have a Thein separator and vent outside, it blows into a bush and you can barely tell any dust exits there at all. Inexpensive to build, and quite effective. That said, we have zero combustion devices in the house. If we had anything like a furnace or wood stove, I would not vent outside.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X