Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oneida woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Oneida woes

    this is part question,part blabbering.
    had some sanding to do,as usual,put on my filter mask,opened up a blast gate above me,turned on the dc and started sanding. After a short time I realized I was in a cloud of dust,very little draw above. Fiddled with the other blast gates one by one ,no better anywhere else. So I pulled the bowl off the filter,very little dust. Had been cutting and routering mdf,thought I should clean the filter,it's been awhile.some dust,but not that bad. Right or wrong I started the dc without the filter,no noticeable difference.then I thought,the main duct must be obstructed,pulled it apart right at the cyclone,all looked good.started it up,not the greatest suction there! Thought I should check the impeller. Got a ratchet,climbed up and started to pop off the motor plate(gee,these bolts are easy to take out.) propped up the motor plate,all looks good. Tightened it back down,and decided to tape the seam between the top of the cyclone and the motor plate. Start it up,good thing the cats not near,wow what a difference. I guess it must have lost its seal at the motor plate.
    now,put it all back together,can't get a good seal at the top of the filter,never really have liked the way it's put together there,heads of carriage bolts in the seal,silly j hooks. Anyone got a better retrofit that is easier,like maybe a band type seal like at the drum?
    Last edited by al.m..; 03-19-2018, 07:13 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: Oneida woes

    Al - Can you post a photo of the problem area? I am having a hard time visualizing the area.

    David

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: Oneida woes

      Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
      Al - Can you post a photo of the problem area? I am having a hard time visualizing the area.

      David
      are you referring to the motor plate issue I solved,or the filter attachment I dislike?

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: Oneida woes

        Al - I was referring to your question about a better retrofit in your last sentence.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: Oneida woes

          Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1173469 Took this from the web,different model than mine,but same filter mount system.See the j hooks with the knobs? There are four of them,the j catches a channel in the end of the filter,you tighten up the knobs. One problem,no knuckle room,and you must be careful to tighten the four in a bit by bit sequence to get even pressure. Bigger issue,see the studs sticking up? They are carriage bolts (there are several,maybe 8?)that hold on the metal plate to the plenum, when you tighten the j bolts,the heads or the carriage bolts leave a imprint in the gasket of the filter. The gasket has a memory,and does not always return to the same place. Now I have several dimple patterns in the filter gasket and it will not seal
          Last edited by al.m..; 03-19-2018, 08:49 PM. Reason: Add picture

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: Oneida woes

            For second, I thought you were complaining about the high-pressure side or low pressure side leaking around the fan/pump. Now I see your complaint. Using MDF many of the particles are as light as air. Most of them can travel through to the filter. If the filter does not have a good ceil on both sides, you will have leaks.
            Last edited by Matt Matt; 03-19-2018, 09:08 PM.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: Oneida woes

              Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
              For second, I thought you were complaining about the high-pressure side or low pressure side leaking around the fan/pump. Now I see your complaint. Using MDF many of the particles are as light as air. Most of them can travel through to the filter. If the filter does not have a good ceil on both sides, you will have leaks.
              originally it seemed the lack of cfm was due to a leak on the suction side,where the motor plate bolts to the top of the cyclone.that was a easy fix,tighten up the bolts,add some tape,was trying to give a heads up to other cyclone owners,sudden loss of suction may be due to just this.im guessing the bolts simply backed off with the passage of time.
              the filter mount is a secondary annoyance that reared its ugly head in the coarse of trouble shooting the original issue

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: Oneida woes

                Interesting, on my Oneida the filter is held on by a single threaded rod that goes up the center interior of the filter.

                A knob on the flat bar at the bottom of the filter is used to compress the filter gasket against the cyclone exhaust elbow.........Rod.
                Work is the curse of the riding class.

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: Oneida woes

                  Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                  originally it seemed the lack of cfm was due to a leak on the suction side,where the motor plate bolts to the top of the cyclone.that was a easy fix,tighten up the bolts,add some tape,was trying to give a heads up to other cyclone owners,sudden loss of suction may be due to just this.im guessing the bolts simply backed off with the passage of time.
                  the filter mount is a secondary annoyance that reared its ugly head in the coarse of trouble shooting the original issue
                  The bolts on many parts of my cyclone needed regular tightening every few weeks for months as the gasket material slowly compressed. I agree the filter securing method is pretty hokey, but it does work, and if you're good about regularly blasting out the filter, you never really have to take it off.
                  Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                  http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: Oneida woes

                    Originally posted by timberframe View Post

                    The bolts on many parts of my cyclone needed regular tightening every few weeks for months as the gasket material slowly compressed.
                    Won't a lock washer help with that?

                    Noel
                    "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                    'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                    "
                    John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: Oneida woes

                      Originally posted by beachburl View Post

                      Won't a lock washer help with that?

                      Noel
                      The nuts weren't actually winding their way down-thread, they were staying put, but the material was slowly compressing leaving more space between the bolt head and nut, thus loosening them a bit.
                      Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club.

                      http://www.youtube.com/c/DovetailTimberworks

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: Oneida woes

                        I took the "silencer" out tonight,was able to seal it up with out much trouble,and no noticeable difference in noise level.Is there any issue running it this way I'm not thinking of?

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: Oneida woes

                          After reading this I decided i should go check all the nuts and bolts on my Oneida that's just over a year old, sure enough most bolts were loose and needed an extra turn or 2.
                          Thanks for the warning Al
                          As for the silencer, there is nothing detrimental I can think of to removing it but I am by no means an expert.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: Oneida woes

                            al,

                            I removed my "silencer" years ago as I wanted to increase the filter area (the silencer blocks a good part of the filter, doesn't it?) and came to the same conclusion regarding noise reduction being nil to speak of. It's been off for a few years now with no degradation in anything.

                            Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                            I took the "silencer" out tonight,was able to seal it up with out much trouble,and no noticeable difference in noise level.Is there any issue running it this way I'm not thinking of?
                            All the best,

                            Marty

                            President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

                            Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X