Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on a compact dust collection system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice on a compact dust collection system.

Hello Everyone,

Spring cleanup time and... my shopvac won't turn on I've been using it for dust collection for a few years now and it works okay, but I'm looking to get something to replace it that will work much better. 99% of my time is spent wood turning and I use an Airshield pro as my main protection. Anyway, my biggest issue is space. The shop is an 8X12, and I've got around 17"X22" clear for the system (wall mount is fine). Height wise there is around 6', 5" of clearance as I have an ambient collector currently hanging above my shopvac. I'm hoping the new system will do a better job with the finer dust and had planned to either store, or sell the ambient collector after getting something new.

I saw these things last time I was at KMS, but was told they are rubbish:

http://www.kingcanada.com/detail/dus...5?cid=35&mid=7

KMS wise, this is about the only one I have space for (still a touch too deep thought):

http://www.kingcanada.com/detail/dus...0?cid=35&mid=7

So under $500CAD, super compact, and as quiet as possible in that price range. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The Rockler wall hanging collector looks to be perfect, but I need it within a few days (and their shipping is insane!), so something local would be ideal (Calgary Alberta).

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Boy_Narf; 03-23-2018, 08:11 PM.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Need some advice on a compact dust collection system.

Your right the smaller single use ones are junk. The bigger one would be better if your using it to just do turning for sure.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Space really is an issue. I need something extremely compact for this workshop.

Comment

alright decided I'll probably just get a shopvac with a hepa filter.

Comment

Originally posted by Boy_Narf View Post
          alright decided I'll probably just get a shopvac with a hepa filter.
          That’s probably your best bet.
          Consider stepping up to a Bosch, fein or even a festool made for dust extraction.

I have a $100 rigid with a hepa filter but it’s loud as hell compared to a festool.
          Also I’m fairly sceptical of their hepa filters, but I honestly don’t know.

Nathan
          eilliac likes this.

Comment

Would go for festool for sure but the bags are just too expensive. I was thinking about the 6.5 hp ridgid myself. I'll have to do some noise investigation.

Comment

Would go for festool for sure but the bags are just too expensive. I was thinking about the 6.5 hp ridgid myself. I'll have to do some noise investigation.
              Check out fien and Bosch on Amazon.
              Definitely a step above rigid, they’re designed for dust extraction not general use.

Nathan
              eilliac likes this.

Comment

We are planning a move in the next 6 months, so I think I'll get the Ridgid with a hepa for now and once we're in a larger space I'll worry about a proper dust extractor. Still my old shop vac was over 10 years old so regardless of what I buy it should have more power and be a touch quieter.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll be back in 6 months

Comment

Looks like Fein bags are $7-9 each in a 5 pack... Cheaper than Festool bags at least. If I bought a new Vac today I'd get a Fein.

I have a CT26 though and have been very happy with it. It takes a lot use and a lot of dust to fill up a bag.

I'm just hobby use on handheld tools mostly - sanding/router/tracksaw/domino - and I fill it to the max and still get very good performance before changing it out.
                  ​​

Comment

Consider a Thein seperator before the Shopvac with a bag inside... keeps suction high and the bags can be reused by vacuuming them out... through the Thein

Comment

So I picked up the 6.5 HP vac from HD. WAY more powerful than my last one, and I can't see any dust blowing out of the back. Happy for now. Once I move into a bigger shop I'll be getting a proper system.
                      nnieman likes this.

Comment

Working...
                      X