Shop vac/dust deputy/Dewalt Random Orbit Sander Adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop vac/dust deputy/Dewalt Random Orbit Sander Adventure

One of my current projects is refinishing a dining table.

Stripper wasn't working very well so I decided to resort to sanding. Not something you want to do with refinishing unless absolutely necessary.

My Makita palm sander was doing a respectable job but the dust was a pain.

Did some on line shopping and found a Shop Vac brand (Ultra) from CT with the highest rating (195 cfm) and picked up a Dust Deputy from Lee Valley.

Purchased a single speed Dewalt ROS and then the fun started trying to put it all together.

None of the big box stores stock the hose and universal quick connect for the sander. Found this out on Saturday of the Easter weekend, sigh...

Ended up buying a Shop Vac eight foot 1 1/4" hose, popped off the dust bag on the sander and turned a wood connector for the hose.

I tried it first with the long straight section on the hose and found it too unwieldy so I shortened it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dewalt adaptor.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	468.5 KB
ID:	1176838

On the other end, it was too big to fit the dust deputy inlet but I finally came across a cardboard center from a roll of something (?) that was the perfect size, I hot glued it onto the end and we're good to go

The shop vac came with fairly large outriggers for the casters so I decided to go with a cart for a smaller footprint and not attach the pail to the shop vac.

Before I added the Dust Deputy I used the Shop Vac on it's own to clean up around the lathe after turning the connector. The paper filter was almost completely covered with dog/cat hair and saturated with fine dust. Cleaned that with an air hose and added the Dust Deputy.

I've sanded two of the leaves of the table with the unit so far, there's only about a 1/4" of dust in the pail but on a sunny day I can't see any dust in the air and the paper filter in the Shop Vac looks brand new !

I shouldn't need to empty the bin on the shop vac so I think I'll attach it directly to the cart and add a controller so when I turn on the sander the shop vac starts automatically.

Name:	ROS set up.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	589.4 KB
ID:	1176839

Cheers, Don

beachburl and nnieman like this.
    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
    Product Photography
    My Acreage Bird Photographs
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Shop vac/dust deputy/Dewalt Random Orbit Sander Adventure

Very nice Don. Thanks for the details. I know what you mean about the connections. My Dewalt ROS has a flat discharge to the filter. That will be fun to fit up. Thinking about a piece of rubber hose with a bigger hose clamp. Kind of like a rad hose idea. I need to do something like that the dust in my shop right now is crazy.
    https://www.facebook.com/gregsreinventions2016/

Comment

Check out Rockler. They sell a set of flexible fittings to fit a lot of different tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck Albertan View Post
        Check out Rockler. They sell a set of flexible fittings to fit a lot of different tools.
        BlackRock Tools ($22) and Atlas Machinery ($30) both have the connector in stock, plus $16 shipping and taxes

No hose though....

Cheers, Don

Redneck Albertan likes this.
        Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
        Product Photography
        My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

I was lucky that my hoses fit right onto the dust deputy, and my neighbours daughter had a shop vac that was left sitting full with water and then burned the motor out, I scavenged the hose from it.

The shop vac I bought years ago at HD while on sale, it has a shoulder that I used the set the contraption on with the pail and the Dust Deputy, it works well and it has a small footprint.

Name:	Dust deputy.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	1176904

Have fun and take care
          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Here's my setup. I picked up a Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum for free on Craigslist. It had a damaged hose and was plugged with dog hair and carpet scraps but has a cyclone and HEPA filter. Once cleaned out it works like new (it was almost new when the previous owners gave up on it) I mounted it on an old base from a shop vac and cobbled together a longer hose from some sump pump hose and some plastic pipe scraps and added the hose support from scrap 2x4" . Works great with my Bosch ROS or palm router.
            carbonBased likes this.

Comment

I've had some luck finding suitable connectors in the plumbing isle of the local orange borg - mainly I've used the flexible rubber connectors that are used for connecting different waste pipe materials together.

For my PC orbital sander I found the Richardson drywall sander kit hose and adapter fit very well, but the hose sucks (its quite stiff and will pull my sander off the bench if the orange LV shop vac hose starts to walk away on me).

John
              Shut up, wretched cricket of doom...

Comment

Smarty pants.

Name:	IMG-0371.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	1176991
                Cheers
                Randy

Comment

Looks a bit top heavy, Leo, but I imagine it works like a charm!

Originally posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
                  I was lucky that my hoses fit right onto the dust deputy, and my neighbours daughter had a shop vac that was left sitting full with water and then burned the motor out, I scavenged the hose from it.

The shop vac I bought years ago at HD while on sale, it has a shoulder that I used the set the contraption on with the pail and the Dust Deputy, it works well and it has a small footprint.

]
                  All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                  - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Doug,

I like how you've got it set up.

I still need to fabricate some sort of over-arm to bring the hose over my bench while sanding instead of coming from the floor.

Name:	Shop Vac Cart.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	1177022

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                    Here's my setup. I picked up a Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum for free on Craigslist. It had a damaged hose and was plugged with dog hair and carpet scraps but has a cyclone and HEPA filter. Once cleaned out it works like new (it was almost new when the previous owners gave up on it) I mounted it on an old base from a shop vac and cobbled together a longer hose from some sump pump hose and some plastic pipe scraps and added the hose support from scrap 2x4" . Works great with my Bosch ROS or palm router.
                    All the best,

Marty

- Instagram: @apexwoodworks
                    - facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Apex-Woodwo...0243458908979/

Secretary of Kingston Wood Artisans Inc. https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Master Mistake Fixer (because I've made them all... at least once)

Comment

Most places like Home Hardware and Rona sell hose adaptors made by Shop Vac. Not sure if it is what is needed, but they are cheap and may be worth a try.

Name:	026282906878.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1177048
                      More stuff of mine at:
                      http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post
                        I've had some luck finding suitable connectors in the plumbing isle of the local orange borg - mainly I've used the flexible rubber connectors that are used for connecting different waste pipe materials together.

For my PC orbital sander I found the Richardson drywall sander kit hose and adapter fit very well, but the hose sucks (its quite stiff and will pull my sander off the bench if the orange LV shop vac hose starts to walk away on me).

John
                        Those rubber connectors are Fernco's.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                          Looks a bit top heavy, Leo, but I imagine it works like a charm!

It might look that way Marty, but I’ve never had it tip over, really, the plastic pail and the Dust Deputy are pretty light in weight, anyway if it would tend to tip, a heavier rock or cement block would take care of that, have not needed that though.

The Dust Deputy does a nice job of taking the dust out of the airstream and the vacuum’s filter stays clean like forever it seems.

Have fun and take care
                          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFromKingston View Post
                            Doug,

I like how you've got it set up.

I still need to fabricate some sort of over-arm to bring the hose over my bench while sanding instead of coming from the floor.

Name:	Shop Vac Cart.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	459.7 KB
ID:	1177022

Thanks Marty, the only issue with it is it's easy to tip. If you look closely you'll see I've added a weight from a barbell to the base. If I were doing it again I'd make the base a little wider but I was using what I had. Another approach to consider is to hang a hook from the ceiling to support the hose.

Comment

Hi. Yes dust deputy is a great little item. I used to use one with my old Craftsmen shopvac which had adjustable cfm which was nice as I could turn it down to use sanders...it had too much suction at full power. Here is a picture of the cart I used to use before I got the CT36 and Onieda dust cobra. I put a tool rest on the top so I could put my tracksaw, router, or sander down behind me so I didn't trip over the hoses....lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1786.JPG Views:	1 Size:	94.1 KB ID:	1177102

Last edited by gnlman; 04-06-2018, 12:23 PM. Reason: Can't seem to get this pic the right way......ooops....

Comment

Working...
                              X