Phil Thien Dust cyclone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Thien Dust cyclone

I just wanted to share an experience I had with a Thien dust cyclone barrel thingy. I was going to buy a used like new dust deputy for 100 but missed it on Kijiji. I found a blue barrel with the narrow ends on the shore and used some plywood that was cut out when I replaced a window and screwed wood blocks for spacer and use carpet padding I pulled out of the house when we put hardwood floors down and a left over 2 inch abs elbow cut the holes with a sabre saw I did not measure anything, with the wrong barrel wrong spacer wrong plywood wrong opening the carpet pad holds the hoses in and the thing still works amazing. I have the 30 gal barrel over 1l2 full of sanding dust and saw dust and wood chips and the shop vac is empty.can you imagine how good it would work if I spent more than 10 minutes making it. http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm thank you Phil. I am thinking about gettting a dust collector because the sanding dust is extreme if I do I will spend more time on the lid and make it correctly.
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Phil Thien Dust cyclone

We love pics
    If a man speaks in the forest, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong

Comment

put a drywall (yellow, 1 micron) bag in the shopvac and a HEPA Cleanstream in place of the paper filter, and you're set for life

so little gets into the bag that you can vacuum it out once a year and keep re-using it until the motor dies.... all while maintaining max suction

Comment

dont laugh too hard -- Here are some pics I did start out cleaning up the finest sanding dust from the disc sander and I did notice when taking the pictures that the filter on the wet dry vac has dust on it. but I have to say that I think it would be worth the few dollars to purchase the correct flanges and use better plywood to build it correctly the crappy prototype impressed me.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yup, they work great. I have 3 in my shop, 1 on the shopvac, 1 on the 2HP dust collector, and a "push" one for my dewalt 735 planer.

Comment

thanks davidzedlee. I will look into the bag. and the hepa filter

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7187.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	1177806Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7180.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	1177805 i have 4 different vacs that all use the same size hose, so i can use any one to clean out the others THROUGH the Thein, so all the filters and bags stay close to max performance

Comment

I know this is an old post but somehow I missed the last post. thanks Dave for the bag advice I added the bag to the shop vac and it really helped a lot. I bought a dust collector for the bigger machines and use the shop vac almost exclusively for the ros.

Comment

Working...
                X