Square Dust Collection Bin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square Dust Collection Bin?

I'm just starting to set up a new clearvue DC. I have a height issue in that the minimum height for the clearvue is 96", and I have 98". That will fit, but the minimum set up is based on a 27" high collection barrel. That's almost half of my current barrel. I really don't want to have to empty my barrel twice as often, so I want to find a way to keep the same capacity with only 27" of height. My plan had been to just make a rectangular bin out of some ply. Foam gasket around the top for a good seal, I thought I'd be all set.

However, reading through the CV installation manual, it says that it's important for the collection barrel to be round. It doesn't say what their reasoning is for that however.

Googling, I find a couple people who've had the same question as me, but I haven't found a real definitive answer.

So does anyone here know anything definitive? Why would the collection bin have to be round? What would be the harm of a rectangular bin? And would you have any other suggestions for getting the capacity I want with only 27" of height?

Thanks!
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Square Dust Collection Bin?

I had a square bin with a canvas liner bag that snapped in place,had a drawstring on top,that loaded trough a side door on my original super dust deputy,I threory it would be about the same, it worked

Comment

I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work,
      You could call them and ask maybe??

nathan

Comment

My Torit cyclone sits on a square box for the past 16 years and worked fine. A 2 ft tall box would be a PITA if you plane much lumber. Mine is 24 x24 and 5 ft and that is hardly big enough.

Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

Ryan... I think the problem is that the angle of repose for sawdust, that which it settles at when freely dropped, is not very flat. Thus a cone of sawdust 27" high will not be very wide at its base, unless a disturbing force is applied. Can extra headroom be found between the ceiling joists, or is a stand-alone D.C. addition out of the question? For a professional's shop I believe that the 27" height would be a non-starter. JMO, Roy
          Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

Round is just for efficiency displacement within the barrel. There is still a small vortex in the barrel which throws the collected and builds up the sides first evenly. My opinion a square might slow down the vortex a bit.

I use a 60 gallon plastic semi transparent pale with the top 1/3 cut off to fit my homemade lid.I have a little LED light shining through the lid through a piece of plexiglass that shows me how full it is. I have a little LED light shining through the lid through a piece of plexiglass that shows me how full it is. In a heavy planing (in 2 hours) I can have that 40 gallon drum so heavy I can’t lift it. I do have a segmented head which makes little tiny chips.

I do hope to one day replace the barrel with the airlock I bought from Brian.
            Last edited by Matt Matt; 07-09-2018, 09:00 PM.
            For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
            Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Want a bin sensor Matt?

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Round bins are for collecting chips from circular saws, square bins are for chips from hollow chisel mortisers.
              Don Burch, carbonBased and DGB_WAT like this.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Working...
              X