X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mikey6417
    started a topic Air cleaner filter sizes

Air cleaner filter sizes

Hi all! Been searching around the forums but haven't be able to find this out. Are filter sizes for air cleaners all standard or are they different from each unit's brand? I'm buying a used General International air cleaner and would like to get replacement filters for it.

• Les@Brownsville
    replied
    Duststop. Fit perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• mikey6417
    replied
    Originally posted by Les@Brownsville View Post
    I have the general international and I buy the pleated duststop brand 12x24x1 at home hardware.
    how was the fit, what brand was it? I've tried a few and majority has been slightly too big. I got desperate with one and just crammed it in to make it fit until I found one that was close to fitting.

Leave a comment:

• Les@Brownsville
    replied
    I have the general international and I buy the pleated duststop brand 12x24x1 at home hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne - Oakville
    replied
    Originally posted by mikey6417 View Post

Hey Wayne, the part number on the Normand site is not going to be the same as what you'll find in the GI manual as that's their part number. I have the the same air cleaner as yours GI 10-550 M1 and bought both the pocketed and pleated filters from Normand and they both fit perfectly.

cheers, Mike
    Great. I assumed as much. Mine is 12 x 24 x 12, whereas the Normand one is 24 x 12 x 10. I assume the difference then is in the depth, and I suppose a 2" difference will not be an issue.

I'll order one tomorrow.

Thanks. ...Wayne

Leave a comment:

• mikey6417
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne - Oakville View Post
    mikey6417:

Thanks for the info.

Did you buy the cleaner and do you have it at home? If so, can you tell me what the model number is? I would really like to buy the pocketed filter (sure looks like mine), but the Normand part number is different from what I have in my GI 10-550 M1 manual.

Thanks. ...Wayne
    Hey Wayne, the part number on the Normand site is not going to be the same as what you'll find in the GI manual as that's their part number. I have the the same air cleaner as yours GI 10-550 M1 and bought both the pocketed and pleated filters from Normand and they both fit perfectly.

cheers, Mike

Leave a comment:

• Wayne - Oakville
    replied
    mikey6417:

Thanks for the info.

Did you buy the cleaner and do you have it at home? If so, can you tell me what the model number is? I would really like to buy the pocketed filter (sure looks like mine), but the Normand part number is different from what I have in my GI 10-550 M1 manual.

Thanks. ...Wayne

Leave a comment:

• mikey6417
    replied
    **UPDATE** so I finally found a supplier for the filters (both the pleated and the pocketed filter). Normand Woodworking (https://www.normand.ca/en/)

if anyone is looking here are the links to the filter, fast shipping as well, arrived the next day.

pocketed filter - https://www.normand.ca/en/1-micron-i...ion-82012.html
    pleated filter - https://www.normand.ca/en/5-micron-o...ion-82011.html
    electrostatic filter - https://www.normand.ca/en/5-micron-e...ion-82013.html

I may upgrade to the electrostatic filter down the road so I can wash the filter ever so often.

thanks to everyone who provided input on this! great community!

Leave a comment:

• gojaysgo2013
    replied
    Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post

I just ran out and looked and 24x12x1 is the right size, but if I remember right all I could find was the crappiest filters at Home Depot in that size. I did find the next size up (can't read the size on the side of the Filtrete filter from the door of the garage, so not sure) that was exactly the size of the front of the filter unit, hence my idea of building a new 'pocket' with angle iron on the front of the unit to slide the next size up into.

The pocket filters should be pretty robust, I think you were supposed to just clean them instead of replacing them.

John
    why not cut the filter to size and hot glue the cardboard channel in place?

Leave a comment:

• Dean
    replied
    I use the electrostatic 3M filters on my GI air cleaner and find them to be a very tight fit but I assume that means less dust will creep around the edges. I've never had to clean the inner filter and have only found the slightest trace of dust on the after 5+ years.

Leave a comment:

• Jacques Gagnon
    replied
    ...for additional info:

the King KW-141 outside filter measures 23 3/8 x 11 5/8 x 7/8, while the inner (3 pockets) model KW-142 measures 23 1/2 x 11 1/2 x 1 ( plus 1/4 foam pad).

Depending on the machine they may fit and could provide you with additional options.

good luck,

J.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne - Oakville
    replied
    I have a GI 10-550 M1 air cleaner, and the front filter is 12 x 24 x 1 (see exact dimensions below). I haven't changed the filter for several years, but if I recall correctly, either the standard furnace filter wouldn't quite fit into the enclosure or possibly there were just no quality filters available. At the time, Ashland had a small store in Burlington, and although they were going to order one, they just pulled one out of a Delta air cleaner that was hanging from the ceiling. So if you can find a Delta filter, it may fit (or possibly some of the other makes). The replacement one is a metal mesh filter, and when I see it getting a bit dark in colour from dust, I just run the brush of my shop vac over the front and it cleans right up (I'm sure I could pull it out and hose it down from the other side).

I think I've cleaned the pocket filter once with a vac. They are quite expensive. I'll have to check my manual, but there is a possibility that they can be washed (although I don't think I'd want to). NOTE: I just checked the manual which states: "THE INNER 3 BAGS FILTER CAN NOT BE CLEANED, IT IS DISPOSABLE AND MUST BE REPLACED". I pulled mine out, and I was able to vac a bit of the front edges, but it's not possible to give it any sort of thorough cleaning.

I just checked the measurements of my front filter. It's 23-7/16 x 11-5/16 x 9/16. The frame would allow an additional 1/16" in width; nothing in depth; but would take up to 1" thick.

Original part numbers are: 3 BAGS TYPE INNER FILTER 10550-30; OUTER PLEATED FILTER 10550-31.

...Wayne
    Last edited by Wayne - Oakville; 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mikey6417
    replied
    Originally posted by John in Calgary View Post

I just ran out and looked and 24x12x1 is the right size, but if I remember right all I could find was the crappiest filters at Home Depot in that size. I did find the next size up (can't read the size on the side of the Filtrete filter from the door of the garage, so not sure) that was exactly the size of the front of the filter unit, hence my idea of building a new 'pocket' with angle iron on the front of the unit to slide the next size up into.

The pocket filters should be pretty robust, I think you were supposed to just clean them instead of replacing them.

John
    i'll give the pocket filter a clean and go from there. As for the other filter I was able to find a place that sells the electrostatic filters i the sized that I mentioned. I'm gonna give that a go and see if it's any good at cleaning the finer particles in the air. fingers crossed!

thanks everyone who have chimed in on this! appreciate your input!

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    I have two furnace filters and the pocket filters on mine. The first filter gets replaced often and the rest stay pretty clean. I put a wooden frame on mine and the outside filter hangs on two finishing nails. Turn it on and the air pressure sucks it in tight, Never moves. Buy the cheapest filter you can find for the outside one.

Leave a comment:

• John in Calgary
    replied
    Originally posted by mikey6417 View Post
    so I found the size, it's 24"x12"x1" which believe I can get the size at a homedepot or lowes. Now the question, is there anything different with these filter from the regular furnace filters? Can I just simply buy a furnace filter of that size and call it a day?

Also, does anyone know where I can find the 3 pocket filters?

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X