Band saw dust collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw dust collection

Now that my14" rockwell saw runs I will be using it alot and I want dust collection for it. I have seen a few delta type saws where they cut a hole in the bottom guard and attach a hose to it. This is fine but rather destructive and ugly imho, why does nobody seem to collect dust right under the table as the blade enters the lower guard? I could easily rivet a piece of steel angle to the back part of the lower guard and attach a hose connection right there beside the lower guides...is there a reason the hole in the lower guard is what people do instead of this?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Band saw dust collection

B/S....I think you will find that the more advanced DC systems on bandsaws have dust collection from both locations you mention. I have used a shop vac set up as you describe for under-table dust collection, I estimate that it gets about 75% of the sawdust generated, which has been good enough for me to avoid doing anything else. I run a 25 year old Busy Bee 14” bandsaw, which I expect would behave similarly to yours, Roy
    Are you solving the problem, or becoming part of it?

Comment

I think I have the same bandsaw (Rockwell 28-200?) and before that I had an Asian copy. I think the dust port in the lower door on this style band saw is doomed to be useless. I think it might be effective with the welded steel (Euro style) frame where you have a reasonably well sealed lower cabinet but with the Delta/Rockwell cast frame style that is not the case. Here are a couple of pictures of what I have on my saw now. Not completely satisfied with the results but it's a start. I hook it up to my shop vac. I epoxied a bolt to the underside of the table to attach this collection port so no permanent damage to the saw if I decide to remove it. . It was inspired by a Youtube video by Rob Cosman, suggest you look up and watch his video. It's a work in progress, I'm also looking at some temporary cardboard deflectors to concentrate the suction around the blade. I'd be interested to see what you or others come up with.

Comment

This is what I have on my 14” bandsaw, if you look at the lower door you can see all the dust on it, I just put it back onto the saw, as I usually run it without the door on the saw.

Trying to get all the saw dust just doesn’t work, as the speed of the wood particles are too high for the airflow of a vacuum cleaner to deflect it all into the dust collection opening.

So rather than fighting a loosing battle with that, I chose to remove the door, I’m fine with that

Click image for larger version

Name:	bandsaw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1211175

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

I watched the video by Rob Cosman and I am going to copy his method, it looks easy elegant and effective. Thanks

Comment

Love to see the pics if you do. As I said was inspired by Rob's idea but I found the guides on the Rockwell are closer to the bottom of the table than his saw (I think it was a General) so couldn't figure out how to copy his idea directly.

Comment

My IMC bandsaw has a dust collection outlet in essentially the same location as in Leo's photo. Connected to the dust collector it works fairly well in gathering the majority of the particle and dust.

Comment

Leo and Glenn, are your connections connected to a shop vac or dust collector? Any opinion on which is more effective?

Comment

My Powermatic has a tube similar to others. Been considering some variation of the attached photo

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                    Leo and Glenn, are your connections connected to a shop vac or dust collector? Any opinion on which is more effective?
                    No dust collector here Doug, just a large shop vac, it does collect quit a bit of the saw dust, but then I still have to remove the rest of it out of the bottom, so no door no dust.

Have fun and take care
                    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

Mine is connected to the dust collector. Probably a bit more effective with greater air flow..

Comment

Working...
                      X