X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• al.m..
    started a topic An extension of venting dust collector

An extension of venting dust collector

Did not want to hijack the other post about venting the dust collector outside,and frankly,I don't want to vent mine,but the idea of moving it outside did come up.
    So on the theme or relocating the dust collector out of the shop,I assume the filter would need to remain in the shop to recover the heated air. I also assume the dc would need to be protected from the elements .i.e.,a roof and walls. If this "outside closet" was not heated,would there be any issues such as condensation ,or issues for the motor operating in extreme temperatures?
    If the filter was in the " closet,and a provision for make up air to travel between the shop and the dc enclosure,how well would noise be reduced?

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by nnieman View Post
    Iíve been in a few commercial shops that just blow the dust outside into a box or dump trailer.
    No make up air.

As long as your shop isnít airtight Iím not sure how big of a deal it is.

Nathan
    hey man,I live in a bubble,worried it may implode,lol

Leave a comment:

• nnieman
    replied
    Iíve been in a few commercial shops that just blow the dust outside into a box or dump trailer.
    No make up air.

As long as your shop isnít airtight Iím not sure how big of a deal it is.

Nathan

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what's the split does. Is it a Choice between filtered retur air in the shop(winter) or un filtered air directly outside( summer)?
    Exactly.

Summer or possibly just mild temperature days... but that's still a good part of the year.
    Reduce filter wear and improve performance when running direct vent outside.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by beakie View Post

that what I see, and I like the idea.

my neighbours however, may not appreciate my 9pm or later work sessions.
    may be on my short list for a solution to gain floor space and reduce noise. Could be easy to forget to check the drum!

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    so you have a plan to relocate yours? What type of system do you have? If it's a nagger type set up ,the filter wall would help a lot I would think.
    My shop has a second story,and it's not well utilized,I have been thinking of moving the cyclone upstairs,with a pipe dropping down through the ceiling to the collection drum,but that only gives me partial space gain and noise reduction.
    no plan in forseeable future, more a "wish" one day down the road.

I have a cyclone, in it's own closet with Roxul safe & sound. I wanted the DC outside, but time & resources ($$ and winter weather) forced me in this direction.

It is a bit quieter, and since it's walled I lost the floorspace but gained a bit of wall space.
    with 2" space above the motor I can just squeeze a 55gal drum under the lid and the flex hose is so compresses it seals perfectly.

the noise isn't that much lower, as the filter is not in the closet so much noise travels out that way, and noise still travels along the duct work too

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    I'm not entirely sure I understand what's the split does. Is it a Choice between filtered retur air in the shop(winter) or un filtered air directly outside( summer)?
    that what I see, and I like the idea.

my neighbours however, may not appreciate my 9pm or later work sessions.

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by altiplano View Post
    I saw this install, which although I disliked some of the corners they cut, I thought they had a good idea with return air that split so you could either vent back into the shop or vent direct outside...

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    [QUOTE=al.m..;n1212031]
    so you have a plan to relocate yours? What type of system do you have? If it's a bager type set up ,the filter wall would help a lot I would think.
    My shop has a second story,and it's not well utilized,I have been thinking of moving the cyclone upstairs,with a pipe dropping down through the ceiling to the collection drum,but that only gives me partial space gain and noise reduction.
    This also has me thinking,what I'd the cyclone was upstairs,and the barrel was outside? The only downside I immediately see is a couple elbows may mean a potential for clogs

Leave a comment:

• altiplano
    replied
    I saw this install, which although I disliked some of the corners they cut, I thought they had a good idea with return air that split so you could either vent back into the shop or vent direct outside...

Leave a comment:

• al.m..
    replied
    Originally posted by beakie View Post
    in my own DC thread I remember someone saying that the motor would essentially be A ok.
    I'm sure a little shelter wouldn't hurt it, but for the most part they are "weatherproof" as part of their construction (TEFC more so than open obviously)

to kill noise, my original idea was to vent the filter into a/the room outside the shop, but then add furnace ductwork to fit furnace filters between the room & the shop. added benefit of extra filtration on return air.
    I figure I'd add some simple "baffles" consisting of hanging carpeting, to reduce noise, but allow air movement.
    so you have a plan to relocate yours? What type of system do you have? If it's a nagger type set up ,the filter wall would help a lot I would think.

Leave a comment:

• beakie
    replied
    in my own DC thread I remember someone saying that the motor would essentially be A ok.
    I'm sure a little shelter wouldn't hurt it, but for the most part they are "weatherproof" as part of their construction (TEFC more so than open obviously)

to kill noise, my original idea was to vent the filter into a/the room outside the shop, but then add furnace ductwork to fit furnace filters between the room & the shop. added benefit of extra filtration on return air.
    I figure I'd add some simple "baffles" consisting of hanging carpeting, to reduce noise, but allow air movement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X