Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dust collection mod

hello again.
    having a small garage shop I am re thinking my dust collection.
    currently I have king industrial 3hp dual bag collector.
    I'm thinking of taking it apart
    install motor on the wall to a super sust deputy.
    then to a trash can and filter.
    or
    fenagling something for single bag.

thoughts...
    advise

thanks
    p
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: dust collection mod

Been thinking about much the same. Google “super dust deputy hacks &lots ideas, suggestions pop up.
    Mike

Comment

Search for “fun with blowers” and read my thread for some insight into your 3hp machine.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Originally posted by pmtottawa View Post
        hello again.
        having a small garage shop I am re thinking my dust collection.
        currently I have king industrial 3hp dual bag collector.
        I'm thinking of taking it apart
        install motor on the wall to a super sust deputy.
        then to a trash can and filter.
        or
        fenagling something for single bag.

thoughts...
        advise

thanks
        p
        There is a larger super dust deputy for 3hp dust collectors.i had the standard size sdd on a 2hp King,it did a good job of separation.you should look into canister filters.
        i have a couple different sizes of fiber barrels,you are welcome to your choice of one for your system..

Comment

I just made a stand for my set up, now that I have the ceiling height. A Thein collector on a Fiber barrel with a ShopVac plunged into it. I built the stand so it is mobile and smaller footprint. Still needs a little refining.
          Darrin

Timber Elegance
          My Etsy Store

Comment

randy --> based of your previous fun with blowers turning this to a single would diminish cfm slightly

essentially I'm trying to improve chips collection from my planer. current setup quite a bit alot of chips spew out without making it to the ducting and this is with all other blast gates closed. also thinking of building a plywood dust boot for it and place the exhaust hole closer to the planer.

my thinking is that single as opposed to double would have more flow in my ducts. though for a small garage dont see an issue. also the dual bag collector takes up valuable real estate in the garage

al> I'll take 1 barrel from you. also the SDD I'm thinking if getting is the one from busy bee.

Comment

randy --> based of your previous fun with blowers turning this to a single would diminish cfm slightly

essentially I'm trying to improve chips collection from my planer. current setup quite a bit alot of chips spew out without making it to the ducting and this is with all other blast gates closed. also thinking of building a plywood dust boot for it and place the exhaust hole closer to the planer.

my thinking is that single as opposed to double would have more flow in my ducts. though for a small garage dont see an issue. also the dual bag collector takes up valuable real estate in the garage

al> I'll take 1 barrel from you. also the SDD I'm thinking if getting is the one from busy bee.
              Yes based on my testing, restricting flow by going from two bags to one will result in the same performance as a 2 HP single bag unit. You could take some amp readings with one vs two bags and compare.
              Cheers
              Randy

Comment

Paolo,what diameter is your main and the branch to your planer? Going from 4" to 5" can give you significant gains.Also,reducing any flex between the machine and the branch can help a lot
                as far as restrictions,I don't doubt Randy's observations,but with your extremely tall ceiling height you could go with a large surface area filter that may give you as much or more air flow,than the twin bags.the real advantage of a separator is of coarse you will maintain the performance curve for a much longer time

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                  Paolo,what diameter is your main and the branch to your planer? Going from 4" to 5" can give you significant gains.Also,reducing any flex between the machine and the branch can help a lot
                  as far as restrictions,I don't doubt Randy's observations,but with your extremely tall ceiling height you could go with a large surface area filter that may give you as much or more air flow,than the twin bags.the real advantage of a separator is of coarse you will maintain the performance curve for a much longer time
                  Al speaks the truth. Good advice.
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

A clean pair of bags will of coarse stay cleaner longer as well

Comment

true.
                      just looking g at options.
                      1 I want to reduce the 2 bag footprint.
                      2 i think the dust collector i have now is adequate for my space my garage is 16 x 22. I have 4 inch runs to all machines on blast gates. with only one machine and blast gate at a time.
                      3. spec on the dust collector is a 3hp 2000 cfm with 12 inch impeller.
                      4. al mentionned getting a tall bag. I'll look into this as I do have 12 ft clgs. or might get a cannister filter.
                      with the SDD I could change it to a 2 stage and hoping for better performance and better cleanup.
                      6 I've seen some of the mods and reviews are fairly positive.
                      7. I know people will probably say to go with 5 or 6 inch runs but the fact is that I have 4 inch and that is what I have to work with.

so before investing in spending money I'd like to know if it's a doable idea or if there is anything else i should be looking at.

Comment

Don Kondra did exactly what you want to do. Search for his thread and have a read.
                        the_other_ken likes this.

Comment

well.
                          after all the posts I may be rethinking this.
                          1. from what I've read I'll probably lose cfm
                          2. if I do go this rout I will need to redo my duct runs as per billpentz excel sheet I have a ton of losses with my 4 inch runs. hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with 5 or 6 in from the get go.

I may en up doing it later this summer when I have a clearer picture of best way to run ducting as I do still like the idea of a SDD cyclone setup.

essentially i will need to replan my duct runs to minimize losses and provide better performance to the machines.

I still beleive the 3hp dust collector I do have is adequate for my space

p

Comment

well.
                            after all the posts I may be rethinking this.
                            1. from what I've read I'll probably lose cfm
                            2. if I do go this rout I will need to redo my duct runs as per billpentz excel sheet I have a ton of losses with my 4 inch runs. hindsight being 20/20 I should have gone with 5 or 6 in from the get go.

I may en up doing it later this summer when I have a clearer picture of best way to run ducting as I do still like the idea of a SDD cyclone setup.

essentially i will need to replan my duct runs to minimize losses and provide better performance to the machines.

I still beleive the 3hp dust collector I do have is adequate for my space

p
                            I agree that your current DC is adequate, provided you set up the rest of the system appropriately. I have a 2HP blower, SDD, and 5" metal main line, reducing to 4" flex near the machines. I find it adequate, and the SDD does an amazing job of keeping the filter clean by pre-separating most of the dust.

If you go from two bags to one, your system will not consume 3 HP any more, more like 2HP. If you choke it off even more by going with 4" duct, you may get performance not much better than a 1HP DC direct connected. If you get a more exotic filter with a surface area larger than a typical single cannister unit like I have, and run 5" pipe everywhere, you will get excellent performance from your blower. Even if you just went with the larger duct and used one pleated filter like mine, you will get the equivalent of a 2HP blower, which a lot of people have and find it acceptable for a garage shop. My arrangement does not take up any more floor space than the original dust collector.

Wally in Calgary likes this.
                            Cheers
                            Randy

Comment

Randy
                              much appreciated.
                              this time around I'll take my time and redesign my system
                              draw out the runs o minimize lengths and also upstage to 6 inch mains. drops will also be 6 inch and the the last section transition down to 4inch to the machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X