Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: dust collection mod

one last thing.
    I hear alot not to use the std BORG HVAC piping for concerns on collapse.
    should I just go ahead and use 6 inch drain pipe and be done with it.
    dont want to go through this to skimp on ducting and have issues.

I'll also go get the SDD at busy bee as it's on special at the moment and begin planning this thing.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

I have the 2hp and went to a pleated filter and had already made my own separator. It works just fine for all my machines and runs through 4" al the way. There is very little flex used. It isn't fancy but it works.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	dc1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1220608

Name:	dc2.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1220609

Comment

Originally posted by pmtottawa View Post
        one last thing.
        I hear alot not to use the std BORG HVAC piping for concerns on collapse.
        should I just go ahead and use 6 inch drain pipe and be done with it.
        dont want to go through this to skimp on ducting and have issues.

I'll also go get the SDD at busy bee as it's on special at the moment and begin planning this thing.
        I have the heavier gauge HVAC stuff from Home depot in 5". It holds up fine, though at 6" it might be more prone to collapse. Some have expressed concern about 6" ducting actually being too large and the resulting air velocity too low. This can produce a lot of dust drop out in the system, especially around corners and such. 5" might be the sweet spot for your blower.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

HI Paolo,I have the heavier gauge hvac stuff from home depo in my system,no problem and I have a lot more cfm than you will achieve. Even if either of us did have enough umph to oil can the ducts ,the entire duct system would need to be closed off to do that.i personally would not worry

Comment

awesome

I'll get the HD stuff then

I'll just be sure to get the right gauge material.

Comment

well home depot has 4 inch and 6 inch metal ducts
              where can I get 5 inch as that is the size I want for my main runs

Comment

I don't know if anyone remembers the old "ShopNotes" magazine. It was published by the same outfit as WoodSmith but ShopNotes stopped 20-25yrs ago. They published a cyclone dust collector project that I built and found quite impressive.
                Some here might find the dust bag they designed to go with the cyclone of interest. It was a large stand alone box with a wood frame box covered with a light duty canvas. I built mine to be 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep and a height of 6 ft. It lifted off of a base that doubled as a place for dust to drop into. You just tapped the sides occasionally and the dust dropped into the base, lift the canvas top off and empty the base filled with dust outside the shop.
                I mention this because that dust collection box could be custom built by anyone to fit anywhere out of the way.
                Dumb old me thought it was a great thing to have until I could afford a commercially built one which I did. So I took apart my home built model and set up my new one and found it to be no more effective, probably less effective.
                Anyway, you should keep in mind that you can build your own custom fit dust bag.

Comment

Originally posted by pmtottawa View Post
                  well home depot has 4 inch and 6 inch metal ducts
                  where can I get 5 inch as that is the size I want for my main runs

Name:	IMG_0749.JPG
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1220885
                  Cheers
                  Randy

Comment

IIRC I paid $4/ft. for 5" spiral, just saying

Cheers, Don
                    Don Kondra - Furniture Designer/Maker
                    Product Photography
                    My Acreage Bird Photographs

Comment

Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly or the experts, such as Pentz are all wrong, everything I've ever read on the subject of filter membrane material clearly states there is absolutely no possible way that light duty canvas can act as a safe filter membrane. Remember, the requirement is for stopping those smallest of dust particles (.1 to .5 micron) from exiting the filter membrane... and the porousity of the material you're suggesting is too large to do the job. Period.

The article you cited was written many years before proper research was conducted, and certainly before Pentz published his findings. So, please, please, let's not be recommending such dangerous filter material without first having the facts in place.

Sorry for coming out so strongly on this issue, but if followed, such recommendations will prove hazardous to ones health. I am certain that was never your wish.

Originally posted by ehender2 View Post
                      I don't know if anyone remembers the old "ShopNotes" magazine. It was published by the same outfit as WoodSmith but ShopNotes stopped 20-25yrs ago. They published a cyclone dust collector project that I built and found quite impressive.
                      Some here might find the dust bag they designed to go with the cyclone of interest. It was a large stand alone box with a wood frame box covered with a light duty canvas. I built mine to be 36 inches wide by 18 inches deep and a height of 6 ft. It lifted off of a base that doubled as a place for dust to drop into. You just tapped the sides occasionally and the dust dropped into the base, lift the canvas top off and empty the base filled with dust outside the shop.
                      I mention this because that dust collection box could be custom built by anyone to fit anywhere out of the way.
                      Dumb old me thought it was a great thing to have until I could afford a commercially built one which I did. So I took apart my home built model and set up my new one and found it to be no more effective, probably less effective.
                      Anyway, you should keep in mind that you can build your own custom fit dust bag.
                      All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Comment

If in doubt, and you should be, I'm still in favour of a personal Respirator. Check out 3M or North.
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

Today, 06:16 AM
                          Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly or the experts, such as Pentz are all wrong, everything I've ever read on the subject of filter membrane material clearly states there is absolutely no possible way that light duty canvas can act as a safe filter membrane. Remember, the requirement is for stopping those smallest of dust particles (.1 to .5 micron) from exiting the filter membrane... and the porousity of the material you're suggesting is too large to do the job. Period.

The article you cited was written many years before proper research was conducted, and certainly before Pentz published his findings. So, please, please, let's not be recommending such dangerous filter material without first having the facts in place.

Sorry for coming out so strongly on this issue, but if followed, such recommendations will prove hazardous to ones health. I am certain that was never your wish.

Originally posted by ehender2 View Post
                          All the best,

Marty

President of Kingston Wood Artisans https://kwoodartca.wordpress.com/

Proud member of the Wadkin Blockhead Club

Thanks Marty...good info...is the material you suggest available? If so it could be used in place of canvas.

Ed

Comment

alrighty... final stage...
                            based on my current collector... a 3hp dual bag 2000 cfm and turning it into a 2 stage.
                            should I go with 5 or 6 inch main trunk.
                            drops will all be the same size and only the final short section reduce to 4inch to the machines.
                            will 5 inch be adequate. I think so.
                            but want onto do it right and not be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                            X