Dust Collection

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dust Collection

"I figured that in regards to the planer (no jointer) as I can do pretty well with the shop vac connected to it. Have you installed any weather stripping / gaskets beneath the bag clamps?"

In my experience leakage comes from the plastic bag not lying flat under the clamps. Often this is at the back side where you can't see when putting the bag on. i have never considered weather stripping - not sure how it would help around the clamps.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post

Is there a canister filter that is proper for the 404? I have asked Busy Bee a couple times and never gotten a confirmed response.

Thx
      Both the mini and regular HEPA work with the CX404 (as I was advised when I was in store a few weeks ago)

Comment

Originally posted by beachburl View Post
        I have the original one posted, and it is "adequate" at best.
        I wish I had gone bigger.

Noel
        Can you please clarify? Why would you wish you had gone bigger if it is adequate?

Comment

Originally posted by EMSbyDay View Post

Is there a canister filter that is proper for the 404? I have asked Busy Bee a couple times and never gotten a confirmed response.

Thx
          There is this one too but they don't have stock in many stores. It's only $145 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LaPedrera View Post

Can you please clarify? Why would you wish you had gone bigger if it is adequate?
            If I was going to eat a meal, I'd rather that it be 'fantastic' than 'barely adequate'
            beachburl likes this.

Comment

if interested I will be putting my 3hp dual bag king industrial DC up for sale in the next couple days. I'll post it as soon as I can to the garage and take pics.

Comment

I personally went from a shop vac, then to a 1.5 hp DC, then jumped up to the Bill Pentz 5 horsepower DC.

This is just one of the things woodworkers need to work through to find their happy place.

The Dewalt plainer should have its own built-in blower. When you upgrade from this particular machine, you will be looking into upgrading Power requirements and dust collection requirements. It is just the nature of the beast.

Most guys start out just like I did,... then they realise they need more. I realized I needed more (when my smoke detector started going off in my basement shop) when cutting MDF.

I'm not going to preach. Some days with the best dust collector, I still get dust on my floor.

Dust collection it Is a forever perfection.

Sure it is arguable what dust collection could be the best. So far in five years or so my collector seems out perform most manufacture DC units. But mine is no manufactured unit. So I watch things little more closely.
                Last edited by Matt Matt; 01-28-2019, 10:44 PM.
                For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Wally in Calgary View Post

There is this one too but they don't have stock in many stores. It's only $145 right now.
                  That is not a HEPA filter though, only 1 micron.

Comment

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

If I was going to eat a meal, I'd rather that it be 'fantastic' than 'barely adequate'
                    That does nothing to clarify the statement I inquired about.

Comment

That does nothing to clarify the statement I inquired about.
                      It would be if you were willing to apply it with the specific answers. I don't believe anyone has given you obscure Solutions. Can you please provide us with more of your shop layout and the situations? Dust collection is...as mentioned, is very specific to certain application.

Can you provide the full dust collection layout that you are considering implementing?

Sometimes very detailed pictures and setups are very helpful.

Are you in a basement shop, or a dedicated separate shop?
                      Last edited by Matt Matt; 01-29-2019, 12:01 AM.
                      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
                      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

Sometimes it does an almost satisfactory job, but most of the time I have to sweep up and vacuum up turning chips and dust with my shopvac.
                        Maybe my standards are too high, or maybe I didn't set it up correctly.

It's like a dishwasher getting most of the dirt off, a disinfectant removing most of the germs, or a planer knife being almost flat.

Hope this clarifies.

Noel
                        "Being so impressed with the beauty of nature, I never cease to be amazed at how the
                        'touch of the human hand' can transform it into another kind of beauty that is so uniquely human.
                        "
                        John Snow, Outdoorsman and Retired Teacher

Comment

That is not a HEPA filter though, only 1 micron.
                          That answer was for EMS who wanted to know what filters would fit his 404.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Matt View Post
                            It would be if you were willing to apply it with the specific answers. I don't believe anyone has given you obscure Solutions. Can you please provide us with more of your shop layout and the situations? Dust collection is...as mentioned, is very specific to certain application.

Can you provide the full dust collection layout that you are considering implementing?

Sometimes very detailed pictures and setups are very helpful.

Are you in a basement shop, or a dedicated separate shop?
                            I was merely going by the definition of adequate - satisfactory or acceptable in quality or quantity. Perhaps something else was meant by the quotation marks - which is why I asked for clarification.

No layout - just a dust collection device to move from machine to machine (table saw and planer).

Just a room (approximately 120 feet square)

Comment

That answer was for EMS who wanted to know what filters would fit his 404.
                              Given that the original thread was for HEPA filtration, I was mere ensuring that he was aware that canister you linked to is not HEPA filtration.

Comment

Both the mini and regular HEPA work with the CX404 (as I was advised when I was in store a few weeks ago)

I will look into both of these options come spring time when I can use my garage again. Thank you both.
                                Wally in Calgary likes this.

Comment

Working...
                                X