How do you keep the drum lid up when you empty you drum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you keep the drum lid up when you empty you drum

I finally got my Oneida set up,but when I was trying to get the drum under the lid I was having a heck of a time. How do you keep the lid up out of the way when emptying the drum? Pictures would be great
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How do you keep the drum lid up when you empty you drum

My clearvue is set up right in front of a wall, and the barrel lid hangs from the bottom of the cyclone on a 8" piece of flex hose. Between the collar on the top of the lid and the collar on the bottom of the cyclone, there's only about an inch of slack in there, i.e. i can life the lid up above the barrel about 1". That's enough to slide the barrel out, but your question is about how do I keep the lid floating 1" up in the air while I slide that barrel out, right? I just use two hands to lift the lid up, then slide my right hand around to the front and push back, jamming the back edge of the lid into the wall behind the unit. As long as my right hand maintains that pressure, I can easily keep it pinned up in place while my left hand slides the barrel out. Sliding the empty barrel back in again is simply the same process in reverse.

I initially though about mounting a little elbow bracket on the wall behind, the idea being I could lift the lid up and hook it onto the bracket and use that to make it easier for my right hand to hold that lid up, but I've found just pushing it into the wall works well enough.
    al.m.. likes this.

Comment

I do as callee says as well. Awkward I agree. Must innovate.
      Cheers
      Randy

Comment

Can you hang some bungee cords from above and hook on to some eyelets on the lid to hold the lid up? I do this to hold my Thein baffle up under my 1 HP dust collector when I remove the barrel.

Comment

I lift the front edge of the lid up maybe an inch so the drum clears my level sensor, then slide the bin out.

Installation is the reverse of that, no holding items required..........regards, Rod.
          Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

Originally posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
            I lift the front edge of the lid up maybe an inch so the drum clears my level sensor, then slide the bin out.

Installation is the reverse of that, no holding items required..........regards, Rod.
            I do the same with mine. Probably got 1"-2" of lid clearance with the large flex hose. Just enough to slide it out.
            sigpic
            hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

I find mine catches on the flange inside that's what is making it difficult.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
              Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

That's why I suggested the bungee cords and hooks.

Comment

My new to me cyclone comes with quick release levers that holds the lid up securely allowing me to pull out the bin very easily. Stays there until I release it back down and locks securely in place. Simple and effective.
                  Mike

Comment

Do you have a picture? Please.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Tried to find a web picture as I am not near the shop.Hopefully this will do.
                      You can see the clamp, 1 on each side, with the RED handle
                      Mike
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	KC6200C_HighRes.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	992.1 KB
ID:	1226289

Comment

If the lid is metal, a couple of magnets on bungees or string would do the trick too. Some old speaker magnets, or the ones you use to pick up nails off the floor would get you bonus points as then you would always know where it is.
                        More stuff of mine at:
                        http://watertoneworkshop.blogspot.ca/

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5...xPoVDV61AxUdUA

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post
                          Tried to find a web picture as I am not near the shop.Hopefully this will do.
                          You can see the clamp, 1 on each side, with the RED handle
                          Mike
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	KC6200C_HighRes.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	992.1 KB
ID:	1226289
                          Hey Mike how do you like that cyclone?
                          Cheers
                          Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

Hey Mike how do you like that cyclone?
                            So far, I can't stop smiling every time I turn it on!!
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Soak-N-Fused View Post

So far, I can't stop smiling every time I turn it on!!
                              Mike
                              How many HP?
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X