Dose this sound right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dose this sound right

I finally got my 5HP Onida cyclone hooked up. It was a used unit when I got it, I'm not sure it sounds right, to me it sounds like the motor is vibrating while it has power. I could be just paranoid. If it is an issue how do I fix?
    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by Jerome; 03-17-2019, 09:49 AM.
    Jerome
    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Dose this sound right

Definitely sounds like there is an unwanted vibration there? Can you fee any vibration on the unit? Is anything loose? Any bolts or screws not tight?

Maybe some rubber between the cyclone hanger and the wall and/or the cyclone and the hanger itself might help?

Comment

It's not hanging on the wall it has a stand. I can't feel anything vibrating
      Jerome
      Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
      Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Maybe check the fan blades to see if there's any accumulation of dust/debris that might be throwing it off balance a bit? I have to clean the blades of my cheapy little Busybee collector after every use because planer chips wrap around the fan blades.
        scooby074 likes this.

Comment

I don't have the best hearing,but almost sounds like a hockey card in the spokes sound.i thing I would have a second look at clearances etc

Comment

Have you ever checked the fan itself? Damaged blade? Out of balance?

Comment

The blade is clean I just put the unit together. I will check to see if I can see if something is inside the unit.
              Jerome
              Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

There is nothing inside, the fan turns freely, it makes the sound without the ductwork attached, taking the filters off makes no difference. What I can't figure out is why it make the sound only with the power on as soon as it is turned off the sound stops. I would think if it was the bearings it would continue until the rotation stops.
                Jerome
                Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

Hmmm so no rubbing inside the fan cowling? any play in the motor shaft? if you had a piece of round stock to match the motor you could mount blade on bench and check for balance, but if it ran fine when you bought it, that might be a stretch....I'd check the motor out.

Comment

Check out what on the motor? It is brand new.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

It sounds to me like a blade may be loose on your impeller. Have you taken the top of the unit back off to check your impeller or did you just look inside the inlet?
                      When you power up, the centrifugal force may be moving one of the blades slightly outwards so it rubs on your cyclone housing. Look at the inside of your cyclone housing itself to see if there is a rub-spot.

Comment

I plan on taking the motor and fan off not an easy job so it will be during the week hopefully it will be an easy fix.
                        Jerome
                        Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.

Comment

I rigged a chainfall hanging from my ceiling to dismantle mine. It is not an easy job to do, but work smart, not too hard.

Comment

Typically I'd start with checking for any rubbing by the motor fan on the housing.

Comment

Aside from the usual suspects... checking if the motor fan is rubbing on the motor housing, etc.

You are running this wide open at max load, with very little SP. I'd be interested if you get the sound when the unit is doing less work. ie. restricted airflow from ducting / blast gates closed /etc. If no sound it might isolate your problem? Or might be no problem then!

​​​​​You say the motor is brand new? Was this originally a 5hp unit?

Maybe you're getting some flex under load or even blade stall at max airflow if that's possible on a cyclone impeller...

My Oneida looks like that, more or less, but doesn't sound like that... (2HP Leeson motor)...

​​​​​​​Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X