Small dust collector piping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small dust collector piping

Hey all, I just have a question about piping.

I just have a small 1h craftex dust collector, I am in the process of redoing my shop layout and am planning on properly ducting the collector.
    I plan on getting the Oneida deputy to help.
    I know the larger the main line is the better, I had wanted to to 2 main branches at the collector both 6 inch main with 4 inch drops.
    But my collector only had 4 inch intake.
    So my question is will it harm efficiency if I use a reducer right at the collector and continue with the 6” idea or am I better off just doing the 4” all the way through ?

Tools I plan on using it for are -
    1 branch has router and mitre saw
    2nd branch has unisaw, planer, jointer, and a small table top downdraft sanding box. And I would like to have a 2.5 inch hose hanging at sanding/assembly table that I can use to just vacuum up any other stuff from things like jigsaw, biscuit joiner, drills and such.

Thanks
    Colin
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Small dust collector piping

The larger main reduces resistance, but it is only a benefit if you have the CFM required to keep enough FPM to move the dust. Too slow and it won't capture or carry the dust very well.

I would not use any 6" with that collector. I would not reduce at the collector's inlet, use 4" all the way. I would not plan an elaborate run with multiple drops either, try to simplify it... Really I
    ​​​think you would see the best results with a single run/hose moved machine to machine...

The dust deputy will increase resistance in your system aswell, but it's convenient... I'd see how well a basic run does before you add it.
    gojaysgo2013 and nnieman like this.

Comment

Hi Colin, unfortunately that size of collector is too small to use ducting with, especially if youre considering adding a cyclone.

As has been posted above, 6 duct is far too large for that machine.

That collector is best used as a mobile unit with very short lengths of hose......Regards, Rod
      gojaysgo2013 likes this.
      Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I have a 1hp dust collector and have about 18 feet of 4 duct, with a drop at each end and a 8 foot flexible hose. As long as I only use one drop on one machine at a time it works fine. I also have a home made drop drum. This has worked for better than twenty years. I also run an air cleaner on the ceiling. After twenty years there is very little dust on my shelves, but I will admit its time to blow it out.
        John
        If you learn from your mistakes, then I'm getting a fantastic education.

Comment

I had a 1hp dust collector at one point and I can tell you from experience, it's just plain not powerful enough to do what you want to do. Those things only work reasonably well if you keep your hose as short and as straight as possible. Less than 10 feet of 4" flex hose, but the shorter the better just to provide some perspective. For for a piped in system like you're describing, depending on how long you want your pipes to be and how many bends and elbows you have, you're going to need at least 2hp, maybe 3hp.

Any discussion about dust collection really needs to start with stating what you want to achieve though. For example, do you just want to have less chips to sweep up at the end of the day? Or are you trying to improve your air quality to the point that you don't need to wear a respirator while you're working? Those two goals have very different solutions.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the comeback.
            All I do right now is have a 10’ piece of flex hose and I move it around from tool to tool.
            The problem I’m having is I hook it up to the tablesaw and then need to make a quick cut on the mitre saw and then back to the table saw so I just leave it... all those “quick cuts” add up and I end up having to sweep a lot.
            I’d love to fire up the dust collector in the morning and just leave it running, and all I have to do is open a blast gate and have at er.

At the end of the day yes all I’m really going for is a cleaner shop, air quality is important too but I have 3 garage doors across the front that I open up and windows in the back so in the summer it’s more like working in a pavilion then a shop.

I’ll try and put together a sketch with some dimensions later today to show you guys my plan. I guess a bigger dust collector is my next investment 😔

Thanks
            Colin

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Keep an eye on kijiji - if youre really patient you can get a 2hp unit for as little as $100 around the GTA. $200-300 comes up pretty frequently. As long as the bags arent ripped and the motor sounds alright when it starts up, there really isnt all that much to go wrong with them. Sometimes you can even get 3hp at that price. If youre in a 3 car garage I think Id go for the 3hp and the 6 pipes youre thinking of.

Comment

Working...
              X