2hp DC motor gave up the ghost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2hp DC motor gave up the ghost?

I have a 10yr old 2hp "Powersonic" (KMS brand, I think) DC that will no longer start, just winds up for a few seconds and then trips the house (20amp) breaker. The impeller spins freely, no noise from bearings etc, nothing else visible is wrong. (ps I did check the breaker, it's fine)

Question: is it likely to be even worth it to get the motor repaired? Or is this one of those situations where it's just as well to buy a new, or rebuilt one?

If the latter (silly question, I'm no mechanic) do most such motors have a standard mount and dimensions? Or does buying a new motor mean reconfiguring the whole DC to accept the new motor? If I have to reconfigure everything, its probably just worth my while to buy a whole new DC.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: 2hp DC motor gave up the ghost?

The only repairs that are economically viable are changing the capacitor & the centrifugal start switch, and that's if you DIY. The capacitor is easy, the switch requires motor disassembly. If you have to pay a shop to do the switch, it probably isn't worth it.

For a replacement motor you need the same frame & shaft size in order for it to just bolt on. The old motor is probably a standard frame configuration.

Comment

There is usually a little bump on the side of Single phase motors (sometimes two or three). Make sure all power is disconnected. There should be a removable cover and underneath capacitor/s. The capacitor is probably burnt out under that cover. Be careful these things hold a charge that can be dangerous.
      For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
      Sir Isaac Newton.

Comment

On the motor plate there is a box called frame. The frame size indicates shaft diameter and height as well as mounting configuration so any motor with that frame size should interchange.
        Rob

Comment

Ok, thanks for the advice so far. I took the covers off the capacitors. They were both wrapped in little plastic baggies, which I removed in one case. I noticed that one of the two wires to the top of the capacitor was broken off the top of the capacitor. Being careful to avoid contact with the capacitor (possible residual voltage?) I jimmied it back on, and tried to start up. Startup was ok! So: problem solved, sort of. Two issues remain:

(1) I noticed that when starting up there was a momentary arc at the top of the capacitor. Is this normal? Is that what the plastic bag was for, to contain that/prevent dust from getting into that region?

(2) The wire was (supposed to be) permanently attached to the top of the capacitor, I believe, see pic. Is it wise to try to solder that back on? The alternative is to buy a new capacitor, and I suppose new leads. Is it easy to get inside the motor to attach those at the other end?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190507_095424.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	1236144

Thanks again!

Greg

Comment

The arc is caused by a bad connection.

I would replace the capacitor rather than solder the wire back on. You're likely to damage the seal around the post by soldering........Rod.
            Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

1. Nope, not normal. The connection is not good. It's probably best to just replace the capacitor; they're not expensive.

2. No, don't try to solder to the old capacitor. The new one will have 1/4" quick connect terminals in it. So you'll need to get some matching terminals to crimp on the wires. Use a proper crimp tool. Don't be tempted to just squish it tight with pliers.

Comment

i have soldered wires back onto capacitors quite a few times.
                a good really hot iron and do it quickly!
                use proper resin core solder NOT plumber's paste and solder
                my shop is a beaver lodge
                steve, sarnia, ont

1940's Craftmaster Lathe

https://www.facebook.com/artistryinwoodca/

Comment

Originally posted by stevem View Post
                  i have soldered wires back onto capacitors quite a few times.
                  a good really hot iron and do it quickly!
                  use proper resin core solder NOT plumber's paste and solder
                  Yes, it certainly is doable, but for someone not experienced in the art, best to just use the connectors.

Comment

Working...
                  X