X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Static Electricty conductor wire cause clogging

• Thread Continues Below...

Re: Static Electricty conductor wire cause clogging

if I understand it, you're using pvc/plastic ducting?
    if so, would moving the wire to the outside of the pipe BUT adding some self tapping screws through the ducting so they poke out into the air stream? then attach the screws to the grounding wire.

no experience with it, just thinking outloud.
    [insert something witty here]

Comment

Beakie's suggestion is one of the methods. For a more definitive explanation of the situation have a look at Rod Cole's treatise on the subject. Anyway, the wire inside the pipe is the problem and needs to be removed.
      http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/...cles_221.shtml

billh

Comment

Thanks beakie and billh for your responses. I have read the article that billh referenced and it makes for very interesting reading, thanks for that. It seems I need to pay much more attention to emptying my dustbag and to stop being lazy and occasionally using the dust collector to do a quick cleanup around the planer where it can pickup a metalic object!

Comment

If said metal object has been on the floor for any length of time it is likely cooled enough that it won't start a fire.
          "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post
            if I understand it, you're using pvc/plastic ducting?
            if so, would moving the wire to the outside of the pipe BUT adding some self tapping screws through the ducting so they poke out into the air stream? then attach the screws to the grounding wire.

no experience with it, just thinking outloud.

Comment

Switch to metal ducting and increase the duct diameter, 4 inch is pretty small for a machine.....Regards, Rod
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I use 4" PVC ducting in my basement shop. The dust collector is an old CTC elcheapo unit. The ducting is not grounded anywhere.
                I use self-cleaning blast gates at every machine. I have never had any issue with static electricity.
                ????????????????,
                Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by big tim View Post
                  I use 4" PVC ducting in my basement shop. The dust collector is an old CTC elcheapo unit. The ducting is not grounded anywhere.
                  I use self-cleaning blast gates at every machine. I have never had any issue with static electricity.
                  ????????????????,
                  Cheers,

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Pietercape View Post
                    Thanks beakie and billh for your responses. I have read the article that billh referenced and it makes for very interesting reading, thanks for that. It seems I need to pay much more attention to emptying my dustbag and to stop being lazy and occasionally using the dust collector to do a quick cleanup around the planer where it can pickup a metalic object!
                    attach rare earth magnets to you floor attachment and they will pick up the metal objects for you. Jack posted something about that awhile ago.
                    Jerome
                    Canada's South Coast

Port Colborne On.
                    Every loaf of bread is a tragic tale of grains that could've become whiskey.......but didn't....

Comment

Many thanks to all who responded - I think I am going to follow the suggestions by beakie and Mike to place the conductor on the outside with self-tapping screws. Better safe than sorry.

Comment

Many years ago i was cutting a roll of plastic that was stretched over some abs pipe and just as I sliced it from underneath I got that shot Rod mentions right on the top of my head and it was a beauty. I jumped and at the same exact second sliced a 5 stitch cut in my thumb. The shock to my mellon was worse than the cut. Thanks for the memories Rod!
                        "Do it Right!"

Comment

I use 4 inch flexible plastic hose which I move from one appliance to another. It has a spring steel coil incorporated in it to hold it open. When I first started to use it I got some very unpleasant shocks on touching it. Solved the problem by loosely wrapping a copper wire around the outside, grounded to the fan unit. Never any internal dust collection problem.
                          Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn at Raven View Post
                            I use 4 inch flexible plastic hose which I move from one appliance to another. It has a spring steel coil incorporated in it to hold it open. When I first started to use it I got some very unpleasant shocks on touching it. Solved the problem by loosely wrapping a copper wire around the outside, grounded to the fan unit. Never any internal dust collection problem.
                            Glenn
                            Hi Glenn, the flex hose in my shop has the spiral wire grounded at the collector end, reduces static charge on the hose.....Rod.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                              If said metal object has been on the floor for any length of time it is likely cooled enough that it won't start a fire.
                              The issue is whether the spark is buried in a dust pile and left to smolder, eventually igniting into flames. The other hazard with metal objects is if they are small enough to be sucked into the DC, they can hit the impeller and create a spark.
                              Cheers
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X