Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Setting up the dust collector outside the shop? Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up the dust collector outside the shop? Thoughts?

What would be the down side to setting up my dust collector outside the shop?

I am thinking an attached lean to type building on the side of my garage.

Pros:
    Quieter inside the shop
    Less mess inside the shop (when emptying the drum)
    Slightly more floor space inside the shop - okay not much but every little bit helps - roughly 2 feet by 2 feet
    Better airflow because I don't need a filter - just dump it into a 50 gallon drum

Cons:
    Blasting out the warm air - not sure if that's an issue because I have radiant heat
    Noisy to my neighbors - I can use roxul insulation to make it fairly quiet.
    Have to spend money to build the lean to - I am pretty sure I can build several lean tos with the amount of lumber I have around here

Thoughts?

I feel like I am overlooking something.

I remember beakie was thinking about doing this but I cant find the thread about it.

Nathan
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Setting up the dust collector outside the shop? Thoughts?

I had thought about this years ago myself. The sound issue bothering the neighbors was one potential issue, but it was mostly the loss of heat or air conditioned air that was the biggest deterrent. My main shop is basically my completely converted house garage that is part of my house and for which I ran ducting to along with a cold air return.
    Kevin

Comment

There are certainly benefits to going outside, no noise, no space and if your using a cyclone and collection barrel, you can exhaust straight from your fan outlet, no need for bags or filters. If the cyclone works well you will only be exhausting small amounts of very fine dust. Thats a big plus. And yes exhausting from the fan outlet instead of filters will increase the amount of air your system will move.

But there are a few big cons to, I don't think having radiant heat will save you. You will have to reheat every cubic foot of warm air that you exhaust.If your heating is sized close to what you require, reheating 600 cfm when running the DC for any amount of time is going to drop the shop temp pretty quick when its -20 outside. A negative press damper is a must it will open when you turn on the DC and close when you turn it off. Most of the ones I have seen don't seal very well when closed. The shop I built in the Ottawa area had an exhaust fan, it had an built in outlet damper, I built an box around the fan motor and put a sliding door in dadoes on the inside, to seal the unit against drafts when not in use. This will work on a negative press. damper as well to give you a better seal from the elements when the DC is not in use.
      Last edited by Carlosinthesticks; 09-20-2019, 08:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost in the Woods View Post
        I had thought about this years ago myself. The sound issue bothering the neighbors was one potential issue, but it was mostly the loss of heat or air conditioned air that was the biggest deterrent. My main shop is basically my completely converted house garage that is part of my house and for which I ran ducting to along with a cold air return.
        Please accept that I am only asking for clarity. Your garage has been converted to become part of your house. Overhead door has been removed etc. You are heating and exchanging air with your house furnace. Is that correct?
        "Do it Right!"

Comment

It is standard to put them outside in the country. You then run your return air back into the building as you will have a huge amount to make up if you do not. The filter bags on the return are high on the wall so do not take much room. You can also juist blow everything outside into a shed with screened vents in the non heating season.
          Rob

Comment

Noise is really a non issue. If you insulate the shed it becomes the same as your shop walls. The issue is air exchange and the creation of a vacuum.
            "Do it Right!"

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post
              It is standard to put them outside in the country. You then run your return air back into the building as you will have a huge amount to make up if you do not. The filter bags on the return are high on the wall so do not take much room. You can also juist blow everything outside into a shed with screened vents in the non heating season.
              Rob
              I suggest you try either one of those ideas and report back to us as to the cleanliness, space savings and maintenance of such methods as well as the effect on DC air movement.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post

I suggest you try either one of those ideas and report back to us as to the cleanliness, space savings and maintenance of such methods as well as the effect on DC air movement.
                Both methods work great in my personal experience. The initial problem when I built the wall bracket for the blower over the cyclone ( thirty odd years ago) was some resonance on the building because it was lagged straight into the wall. The great thing about outside is people can come and get shavings any time day or night without disturbing the owner.
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post

Please accept that I am only asking for clarity. Your garage has been converted to become part of your house. Overhead door has been removed etc. You are heating and exchanging air with your house furnace. Is that correct?
                  Yes. But you can't get a car in there any any longer even if you hauled out all the shop equipment. The garage door is still there, but there is a raised floor that is 6 inches high with storage, electrical, and ducting all incorporated into the raised floor.

All was designed that should I move, it can easily be resealed as it was before after the floor has been removed also back to being a car garage as it was before. Removing the floor and resealing everything is probably a day's work.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

Both methods work great in my personal experience. The initial problem when I built the wall bracket for the blower over the cyclone ( thirty odd years ago) was some resonance on the building because it was lagged straight into the wall. The great thing about outside is people can come and get shavings any time day or night without disturbing the owner.
                    Rob
                    Thats all fine and dandy, I applaud your generosity. But were the same people thankful that you were covering the neighborhood with wood dust in a cloud coming from your screened shed, and did you like constantly cleaning those screens to maintain any kind of suction in your system.

Comment

one of the only reasons I did NOT follow through was the layout of my shop.
                      I would have liked to put the "dust shed" on either side, but the roof lines were too low.
                      The back side would have been ideal, but moving my propane tanks, lines to the house, lines into the shop, etc etc, were going to cost time & $$.

Knowing wherr you are, and your situation I'd say your "CONS" are non issues.

Blasting out the warm air - not sure if that's an issue because I have radiant heat.
                      If using a shed, it would be simple to add a filter return air. Doesn't have to return all shop air, but some would be nice. Also helps move air around the shop, improving ambient air filtering.

Noisy to my neighbors - I can use roxul insulation to make it fairly quiet.
                      I
                      t shouldn't be any noisier in a shed, than it is in the shop now. 2x6 top & bottom with staggered 2x4 walls, Roxul in between... it's not going to be loud at all. Any exhausted air vents would be where loud noise would exit, so aim those away from neighbours.

Have to spend money to build the lean to - I am pretty sure I can build several lean tos with the amount of lumber I have around here​​​​​​
                      $$, maybe a few hundred IF you have to start from scratch. But it doesn't have to be extravagent, dirt floor/patio stones maybe.
                      [insert something witty here]

Comment

I was kinda leaning towards skipping the cyclone and just using the blower.

I am not sure how much heat I would lose with the radiant heater.
                        i can open the garage door to take the snow blower out or bring material in without the heater turning on.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
                          I was kinda leaning towards skipping the cyclone and just using the blower.

I am not sure how much heat I would lose with the radiant heater.
                          i can open the garage door to take the snow blower out or bring material in without the heater turning on.

Nathan
                          you're in a much better place for heat retention than I am.

I would think you are going to be ok, however you will need air coming in from somewhere... so if not returning from shed that means cold air (winter) is coming from outside.

condensation may then be an issue.
                          nnieman likes this.
                          [insert something witty here]

Comment

What would be better?

Hanging my cyclone outside?
                            But without a filter (I might have to have return air in winter)

Or

just a blower?
                            Most commercial shops I’ve been in just blew the chips into a dump trailer.

I could use that big Poitras blower to blow everything into a 50 gallon drum

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
                              What would be better?

Hanging my cyclone outside?
                              But without a filter (I might have to have return air in winter)

Or

just a blower?
                              Most commercial shops I’ve been in just blew the chips into a dump trailer.

I could use that big Poitras blower to blow everything into a 50 gallon drum

Nathan
                              You cannot blow anything into a barrel because every cubic foot that gets blown in will come blasting right back out. You can hang a cyclone on the output side of the blower to separate most of the material out the bottom while the wind and air will come out the top. This would mean all the material would have to go through the blower. You cannot suck air through a cyclone that is not sealed onto something.
                              Rob
                              nnieman likes this.

Comment

Working...
                              X