Cyclone outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclone outside?

playing with the idea of building a small lean to on the outside of my shop to house my cyclone.the addition would be un heated,with two ducts leading inside the shop,one for the mains,and one for the filter so no warm air would be blown outside.Thought I could also tee off the filer duct ,with a couple blast gates so in warm weather the filter could be by passed .
    Heres what's being debated in my head. The cyclone is a Oneida v3000, the plastic version.would the freezing temps in the winter cause it to become brittle and possiably break is a large enough piece of wood went thought the system? Also,could the warm air passing through the cold cyclone cause condensation issues leading to damp shavings causing clogs or sticking to the cyclone affecting performance?
    if so,plan b would be to allow the addition to be heated,but that would not be as effective in reducing noise
    am I thinking too hard?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Cyclone outside?

I am not sure what you hope to gain from such an installation, a little space maybe, Some noise if you install the blower on the cyclone outside. But the reason most people I have read about go outside is for increased suction from there DC, a much cleaner shop environment with out the need for a ceiling mounted air filter, (bags, and to a lesser degree pleated filter will put some fines back into the shop and reduce the DC capacity). You will achieve some of those benefits by venting outside with your gates when warm. But circulating back inside you are not gaining anything beyond a bit of noise and space and you are greatly increasing the work and expense. You can go with a proper heat exchanger that will recover close to 50% of the heat you are exhausting, but you are adding significant expense. Exhausting to the outside is great and the way I wood go in a warmer clime. But up here, any way you look at, it can cost a lot more for a good system.

Comment

Originally posted by Carlosinthesticks View Post
      I am not sure what you hope to gain from such an installation, a little space maybe, Some noise if you install the blower on the cyclone outside. But the reason most people I have read about go outside is for increased suction from there DC, a much cleaner shop environment with out the need for a ceiling mounted air filter, (bags, and to a lesser degree pleated filter will put some fines back into the shop and reduce the DC capacity). You will achieve some of those benefits by venting outside with your gates when warm. But circulating back inside you are not gaining anything beyond a bit of noise and space and you are greatly increasing the work and expense. You can go with a proper heat exchanger that will recover close to 50% of the heat you are exhausting, but you are adding significant expense. Exhausting to the outside is great and the way I wood go in a warmer clime. But up here, any way you look at, it can cost a lot more for a good system.
      what I hope to gain is a small amount of space,it's not much,but in my small shop,it will mean a longer board thought the jointer planer.
      also hope to reduce the noise levels,and in the summer,no worries about cleaning the filter.
      i have what I consider a good system,a 3hp Oneida cyclone with a hepa filter,so I am not worried fines will be blown back into the shop.

Comment

The plastic getting brittle in the winter would not be a problem once the system had run for a couple of minutes as the warm air from the shop would warm it up . In my shop while spraying in the winter I have a couple of good exhaust fans that I have to open the man door when spraying. I can spray for a couple of minutes and not lose a lot of heat but much longer and I need to make up warm air. In the summer those fans are on all the time for fresh air but in the winter I turn it off every time I hang up the gun. I like your idea but I would return the air back to the shop. I have seen similar set ups and the warm air is piped back into the shop into a good quality filter bag hung horizontally from the ceiling
        Brian
        If your dreams don't scare you, you are not dreaming big enough

Comment

It sounds like your happy with the system you got. And putting the cyclone outside will save you the space you want. Coming back inside will reduce your suction a little and you will get some heat loss circulating through a cold cyclone but that may be acceptable for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian @ Muir View Post
            The plastic getting brittle in the winter would not be a problem once the system had run for a couple of minutes as the warm air from the shop would warm it up . In my shop while spraying in the winter I have a couple of good exhaust fans that I have to open the man door when spraying. I can spray for a couple of minutes and not lose a lot of heat but much longer and I need to make up warm air. In the summer those fans are on all the time for fresh air but in the winter I turn it off every time I hang up the gun. I like your idea but I would return the air back to the shop. I have seen similar set ups and the warm air is piped back into the shop into a good quality filter bag hung horizontally from the ceiling
            Brian
            good point about the warm air running trough the cycle warming it up.i do plan on returning the warm air into the shop in the colder months.

Comment

I don't see a problem with it.

You could put a wye and blast gates to choose inside vent or direct outside vent. Or just switch it over every fall/spring.

I think issue of condensation with warm air inside the collector should be minimal, particularly with all the airflow it would get picked back up by the air once it's all up to temp.

​​​

Comment

I contacted Oneida with the same question,thier reply was they do not recommend such a installation because the grease in the motor was not intended for cold temperatures and could cause motor bearing failure over time,especially if the unit was not run every day for at least one hour.

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post
                  I contacted Oneida with the same question,thier reply was they do not recommend such a installation because the grease in the motor was not intended for cold temperatures and could cause motor bearing failure over time,especially if the unit was not run every day for at least one hour.
                  HaHaHa!

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

HaHaHa!
                    You don't buy that Rob? I'm guessing it's just a lets void the warrenty clause

Comment

Originally posted by al.m.. View Post

You don't buy that Rob? I'm guessing it's just a lets void the warrenty clause
                      look outside of all the highschools, wood working shops, etc. motors are often left exposed to the elements without concern.

add to that yours would be protected from weather, I'd say it's safe.
                      [insert something witty here]

Comment

Originally posted by beakie View Post

look outside of all the highschools, wood working shops, etc. motors are often left exposed to the elements without concern.

add to that yours would be protected from weather, I'd say it's safe.
                        ya Tom,I've seen many cases,such as compressors and dust vacumes in un heated areas or hung on outside walls in industry.
                        the plastic question was what I really wanted them to comment on

Comment

That’s too funny that we both posted the same question on the same day!

I was kinda leaning towards skipping the cyclone and just using the blower.

Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by nnieman View Post
                            That’s too funny that we both posted the same question on the same day!

I was kinda leaning towards skipping the cyclone and just using the blower.

Nathan
                            That works great but you will need to leave a window open so you don't suck in through cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by iamtooler View Post

That works great but you will need to leave a window open so you don't suck in through cracks.
                              I’m not sure what you mean

Nathan

Comment

Working...
                              X