Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small diy dust collector for minimal use

Hi all,

I've seen people use box fans and furnace filters to make diy dust collectors.

I was thinking of doing something a little different. Given I have no experience in these, I figured I'd ask if anyone here could see any potential issues with what I'm proposing.

I do strictly hand tool work, and up until now it was all outdoors. But I've brought the workbench and tools in for the winter. I noticed a bit of dust on some of the surrounding items in the area of the basement where I'm working. And so, I want to build a small dust collector just to help with that.

First option: exhaust fan to filter bag
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_161805.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1257706

Second option: exhaust fan to duct piping to a box with a filter pad. Holes would be drilled into the box after the filter, for ventilation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191105_161759.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1257707

Do you guys think any of these options could work?
    Attached Files
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Small diy dust collector for minimal use

A filter bag will just catch the big particles & let the dangerous sub-micron ones pass through. Makes the air look cleaner, but it's still just as dangerous for your lungs. Something as simple as a decent box fan with a good HEPA furnace filter secured to the inlet side will work.
    paulsz likes this.

Comment

If you are just using hand tools I assume the dust you are producing is from sanding and sawing. Not sure how effective either of you ideas would be. Keep in mind the dust you see is not the dangerous dust the small less than 5 micron dust is what you should be worried about. Given this I would suggest building a small down draft work surface and pick up vacuum with a HEPA filter to provide the suction. If your on a tight budget check out Craig's List, you can often pick up a used one cheap or even free, just make sure it has a HEPA filter. Here's a link to a DIY down draft table, if you do a GOOGLE search you can probably find several other ideas. https://fixthisbuildthat.com/diy-dow...ing-table-box/
      Here's an example of a chep vacuum that might do the trick
      https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc...014251108.html

Last edited by Doug G; 11-05-2019, 06:37 PM.
      paulsz likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
        Given this I would suggest building a small down draft work surface and pick up vacuum with a HEPA filter to provide the suction.

That's an interesting idea, thanks! I'll look into that. And yes, most of the dust I seem to generate is from sawing and sanding.

Comment

Working...
        X