Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did I live without it !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How did I live without it !

    Forty five years ago my dad introduced me to his table saw. Old rusted thing…piece of angle iron and 2 c-clamps for a fence, but we used it for everything at the lake.
    Today. I installed one of the best accessories/tool that I have ever purchased. I was looking around for a dust hood for my table saw but $$$$...4-$500. I decided to purchase a Centurion ceiling mount blade cover hood. (Amazon- supplied by Normand Machinery) down east. I didn’t want the hose to come over to the back corner of the saw, but to go up and to the wall, and out of the way. Looks to be identical to Excalibur.
    I used a lazer level to get all the marks where I needed them. I wanted the dust hood to move from side to side for thin rips and easy to get up and out of the way for jigs. All I have to do is lift up and hook it onto the next wood strip. I have it connected to a 1.5hp Delta DC 1250 CFM. AND IT SUCKS great. I did a few cuts on some MDF, and it worked awesome, with hardly and dust on my belly/pants/ and in my face LOL. Heres some pic’s.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0444.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1265846
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	1265847
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1265848
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1265850
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0451.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1265849
  • Thread Continues Below...

  • #2

    Re: How did I live without it !

    That's one awesome install. Great work.

    Comment


    • #3

      Re: How did I live without it !

      Thanks. It is now a pleasure to cut MDF . LOL

      Comment


      • #4

        Re: How did I live without it !

        Originally posted by Dave Kor View Post
        Thanks. It is now a pleasure to cut MDF . LOL
        Yes, I wondered why I never went to over blade dust collection sooner as well............Nice installation.............Rod.
        Work is the curse of the riding class.

        Comment


        • #5

          Re: How did I live without it !

          I've struggled with under blade dust control with some degree of success, but as you point out cutting MDF is still a challenge. I am inspired to try your setup. Thanks for sharing it.

          Comment


          • #6

            Re: How did I live without it !

            Just an FYI the over arm with the boom seem to be in the $450-$600 ++ range. The ceiling mount style I bought from amazon for $219.00

            Comment

            • Thread Continues Below...

            • #7

              Re: How did I live without it !

              Great work, Dave. I've also got overhead dust collection to my TS with a 4" port and it really helps with dust collection at the source.

              Looking at your DC unit, you may want to look at upgrading from a bag to a cartridge filter; most bags don't do a great job containing the fine dust. You could also consider adding some form of pre-separator (a cyclone or even a garbage can with a special lid). There is a lot of good information on the forum about DC.

              David

              Comment


              • #8

                Re: How did I live without it !

                Originally posted by DGB_WAT View Post
                Great work, Dave. I've also got overhead dust collection to my TS with a 4" port and it really helps with dust collection at the source.

                Looking at your DC unit, you may want to look at upgrading from a bag to a cartridge filter; most bags don't do a great job containing the fine dust. You could also consider adding some form of pre-separator (a cyclone or even a garbage can with a special lid). There is a lot of good information on the forum about DC.

                David
                Yes absolutely. I was planning on a new filter top, but debating on this unit from CW. its 220V 1600 CFM with a 6" option port. compared to my 1200 CFM 110V. The other option I am debating on is keep the collector I have, add a cyclone, and a hepa cartridge. I'm just a weekender so I probably don't need the new unit, but its not too much extra if I can sell the Delta. I would only use 1 tool at a time. I don't currently have a jointer but looking to buy one real soon. I don't really know how well my delta DC would perform with a jointer.

                I have been reading a lot on the forum and yes there's great information. This is just another decision I can't easily make. LOL

                Click image for larger version

Name:	CW collector.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1266969

                Comment


                • #9

                  Re: How did I live without it !

                  Originally posted by tool fan View Post
                  I've struggled with under blade dust control with some degree of success, but as you point out cutting MDF is still a challenge. I am inspired to try your setup. Thanks for sharing it.
                  The 1"x1"x 1/8" aluminum is quite rigid, doesn't sway side to side really and I even have to go up high to the ceiling as I built a 10' wall.

                  Comment


                  • #10

                    Re: How did I live without it !

                    Nice addition. Overhead collection made a big improvement for my system too.

                    Your 1.5 hp Delta collector was one of the better reviewed in that class IIRC, you may not notice a significant difference going to that Dust FX model vs. upgrading your existing.

                    Possibly less money spent adding a high quality cartridge filter, such as from Wynn environmental, and dust deputy xl or similar will give you even better results and add separation to protect your filter.

                    Maybe cleaning up your ductwork a bit also will give some more performance benefit. ie. it's difficult to tell, but it appears you have your overhead and bottom duct branches to your saw, both 4" feeding into a single 4". The first 4" duct limits the total air that can move through the other 2 4" ducts. What's the intake on your collector? 6" or 5" I guess? You'd be better to add a new Y and feed the 2 4" into a larger diameter.

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Re: How did I live without it !

                      Originally posted by altiplano View Post
                      Nice addition. Overhead collection made a big improvement for my system too.

                      Your 1.5 hp Delta collector was one of the better reviewed in that class IIRC, you may not notice a significant difference going to that Dust FX model vs. upgrading your existing.

                      Possibly less money spent adding a high quality cartridge filter, such as from Wynn environmental, and dust deputy xl or similar will give you even better results and add separation to protect your filter.

                      Maybe cleaning up your ductwork a bit also will give some more performance benefit. ie. it's difficult to tell, but it appears you have your overhead and bottom duct branches to your saw, both 4" feeding into a single 4". The first 4" duct limits the total air that can move through the other 2 4" ducts. What's the intake on your collector? 6" or 5" I guess? You'd be better to add a new Y and feed the 2 4" into a larger diameter.

                      The inlet to the bottom of the squirrel cage is 6" which goes to the 2- 4" ports. Being a discontinued model I doubt if I could find a straight 6" port. Yes I have 1 port connect to 10" of flex for sanders, router table, etc, and the second port split to tablesaw and overarm hood, of course with gates on all. I was thinking to hacksaw the 2- 4" ports off and drop a 6" pipe and as you said clean up the passive curves I had to make with the flex hose. Having said that I want to move my tool box to another wall, but I need to build new cabinets to do that. (go figure LOL). Once I move my tool box I can then push DC down the wall, and add some sort of cyclone, and also a filter.,, if that makes sense.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	bottom of DC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1267097
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0493.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	1267107
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452 2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1267108
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Dave Kor; 01-20-2020, 05:27 PM.

                      Comment

                      • Thread Continues Below...

                      • #12

                        Re: How did I live without it !

                        Other option to simply sell my delta and go with this unit. Any thoughts or recommendations? It seems like a reasonable price at $1300.
                        • Powerful 1.5 HP, 120V TEFC motor
                        • 1320 CFM at port
                        • Superior dust collection and air filtration
                        • Cyclone action separates heavy particles from the fine particles and drops them into steel drum
                        • Fine dust particles are collected in the 1 Micron canister filter with heavy-duty clear plastic bag
                        • 29 Gallon steel drum with quick release handle and castor wheels for easy disposal
                        • Manual crank handle for easy cleaning the inside of the canister filter
                        • Radio frequency remote control
                        • Complete with 4 locking caster wheels for portability
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	KC-8150C@1.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	1267110

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Re: How did I live without it !

                          Right on. I think it would be good to have 6" going into your collector vs. the splitter.

                          The area of a single 4" duct is ~12.5"sq, 2x4" ducts about 25"sq, a single 6" about 28"sq, so it would better support the amount of air that can move through your 2x4" table saw runs. The single 4 chokes it off, you basically split the potential and lose both cfm and fpm when both 4" are open at once.

                          Maybe a 6/6/4 wye to the first 4" and then a 6/4/4 wye to the 2 x 4" runs going to your table saw. or even run the 6 a little further before you split it again depending on your layout?


                          If you add something like a SDD or SDD XL later they work better with that 6" inlet too.

                          Good luck.

                          Comment


                          • #14

                            Re: How did I live without it !

                            Personally. I'd rather get a SDD XL and Wynn nano filter, I think that probably offers both better separation and better filtering then that short cyclone model. But if you don't want to F- around with the setup...

                            Also those paddle filter cleaners are hard on your filter. You're better to blow it out with air, maybe give it a tap, or depending on the filter, maybe rinse it out with water even... Thwacking the particles into the filter media and abrading the inside is less ideal, but convenient I suppose.

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Re: How did I live without it !

                              I actually have contacted Dick about a Wynn filter. I'm just waiting to hear back in the inside diameter. He did tell me any 35 series filter will fit.

                              Does anyone know the ID of a merv 10 ?

                              Click image for larger version

Name:	diameter for delta.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	1267129

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X