• Show
Clear All

• Craftex & Dust FX (CWI)

Click image for larger version

Name:	craftex stal comparison.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	1267601

These unit sure look the same. Same HP, same look, Steel Drum Capacity, Static Pressure are all the same.
    Craftex is $1600 and the Dust FX is $2300 on sale for $2000. I dont have enough info to compare filter specs. In my wayward thinking of dust collection I think I have changed my mind on what I might do, and go with this type of DC.

Does anyone have experience or a review for either?
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Craftex & Dust FX (CWI)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cflux1_1_1024x1024.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1267603
    This Laguna is also in the ball park. Pretty close to same specs. Good Hepa filter too.

Comment

I have a difficult time believing such a short cyclone could provide effective separation.

Comment

If I was going to go with one of those 3, I'd probably look to the Laguna.

If they are selling it as a "Hepa" it is a filter with certified performance.

Calling a filter a "1 micron" filter means nothing. It may be good, but who knows if you don't attach a real meaningful rating to it? need to have a Merv rating or hepa for verified performance.

Comment

Originally posted by altiplano View Post
          If I was going to go with one of those 3, I'd probably look to the Laguna.

If they are selling it as a "Hepa" it is a filter with certified performance.

Calling a filter a "1 micron" filter means nothing. It may be good, but who knows if you don't attach a real meaningful rating to it? need to have a Merv rating or hepa for verified performance.
          Here is the info from their website:

The c|flux:1 comes standard with a 1 micron canister providing filtration of 99.97% of particles between the sizes of 0.2 to 2 micron & features 48 sq/ft. of polyester spun bond pleated filter to ensure maximum airflow. 270° manual clean comes standard.

Comment

I think that spunbond filters usually require "seasoning" to reach their claimed efficiency. Still they should report merv efficiency.

Not that there's anything wrong necessarily... but initial performance won't meet claims and I'm suspicious when companies won't properly specify their product.

So I'd​​​ rather take the HEPA (merv16+) which gives you a known level of performance.
            Last edited by altiplano; 01-24-2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

I have the King Canada clone of this. The real problem with these cyclones is that the cone is far too short! Far more material ends up in the filter than it should.

That said I have noticed that Laguna has elongated this slightly on the new CFLUX model, not sure if it totally fixes the problem though.

My opinion on cyclones these days are if you can't afford (space or $$) an oneida, clearvue or similar system, purchase the cheapest clone on the market and modify the machine to work properly. Removing 6" from the drum and adding 6" to the cone would make a substantial difference to the above units.

Regarding filters, yes a HEPA would be preferred, but its useless if there are any leaks in the machines. There is a review on the older style Laguna that show how bad these can be if utmost care is not taken upon assembly. Even still, a bead of silicone around the joints would be good practice.
              - Manberdo

www.manberdo.com

Comment

Reading more, possibly HEPA needs to be taken with a grain of salt or investigated more. Wynn mentions on their site of misleading hepa claims, they say that they aren't aware of any cleanable hepa filters available on the market.

The Laguna​ Cflux filter is MERV 12, not hepa
                Laguna's Pflux models are listed as HEPA
                Craftex doesn't specify anywhere "1 micron canister" is all.
                Dust FX lists it as HEPA

Regarding Merv 12, Laguna's published capture efficiency - 99.7% .2-2.0 microns - it is misleading as well. You won't reach that until several loadings on the filter.

That said, lots of people with similar spun-bond filters are happy with the performance.

​​​​​​​My next filter I plan on is Merv 15, nano material. Anyway, good luck.

Comment

Yeah... HEPA is kinda bogus. It's only applicable when the whole unity is HEPA certified, like a festool CT. That ensures the unit is fully sealed and won't leak the smallest particles.

What's the consensus on the super dust deputy compared to these units? I found an old 3hp craftex DC for fairly cheap and I'm considering getting the 5" SDD to make it 2-stage. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for an Oneida - I would love to have a supercell!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the consensus is that the SDDs separate better than these short cyclones.

But why not get the 6" SDD XL with a 3hp?

Taller than the regular SDD (38" v. 24") should give better separation, and the larger duct will help you move more CFM.

You can​ always use a smaller size duct in part of your system if needed for whatever reason, even with the larger cyclone, but you shouldn't use larger duct with a smaller cyclone.

Comment

yeah i talked to oneida, man they're quick! they said the SDD XL too. the question now is if i can get the 3hp unit before someone else snaps it up!

Comment

Originally posted by altiplano View Post
                        You can always use a smaller size duct in part of your system if needed for whatever reason, even with the larger cyclone ...
                        Well, not really. For instance: if you need 3000fpm to keep a 6" pipe clear of chips, and want to go down to a 4", you'd have to be able to pull 6750fpm through that 4". I don't think even my cyclone can do that. Well, maybe a very short section of 4".

FWIW I have a homebuilt Pentz with a 5hp airfoil blower. Main is 7" with ~6' of 8" into the cyclone.
                        The split for the TS is 6"&4" into 7". The RAS is the same. (13:12.25)
                        BS, jointer, and an 'open spare' are on one gate 3x4" into 7".
                        Note the cross section ratio for 3x4" into 7 is 12:12.25, whereas a 4" into 6" is 4:9. Better is 2x4" into 6" at 8:9.

Comment

I could have been more detailed in my response. I see what you are saying and you are right.

But it's manageable, and as I said "part"... for your example you are using a 4" drop for whatever reason so you open a 2nd blast gate to keep cfm/fpm up in your main. There are ways to manage it.

Or maybe you reduce right to 5" 3' off, or even right off the 6" cyclone inlet, that's fine.

What is more difficult to manage is going up sizes...

A 6" main off a 5" cyclone inlet.
                          A 5" main with a 5" drop to your tablesaw with 5" connector on the base and 4" to the guard.
                          A 4" drop split to 2 4" ports on a bandsaw.

That kind of thing... there performance, fpm/cfm suffer in your whole system and its difficult to manage.

Besides, the poster was asking about using 5" not 4" and it's true the SDD XL is the better product for his needs, he'll see better separation and more cfm. It's what Oneida recommended anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
                            yeah i talked to oneida, man they're quick! they said the SDD XL too. the question now is if i can get the 3hp unit before someone else snaps it up!
                            If you are intending to use a Blower from a 3HP DC in some DC/SDD contraption (as I have done) you should read this thread.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...n-with-blowers
                            Cheers
                            Randy

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post

If you are intending to use a Blower from a 3HP DC in some DC/SDD contraption (as I have done) you should read this thread.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...n-with-blowers
                              Interesting info! Unfortunate that you weren't able to calculate the CFM or do some fan curves - something severely lacking for the cheap units!

Not sure if I was clear but I'm looking at used units - so it's more about what's available at a given time rather than the HP rating. In this instance the 3hp is priced roughly the same as the other 2hp units on the market

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X