King Industrial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Industrial

I am going to upgrade my dust collection. I currently have a GI 1 hp 110v single stage DC.
    I am looking at the following King Industrial KC-3109-KDCF3500 2hp 220 volt 1200CFM and KC-2940S cyclone separator for my approx. 550 sq. ft. hobby shop.
    I will primarily use it with my GI 3hp 220v table saw, King 6" 220v jointer, and GI 14" 110v band saw , and my Rikon 70-220VSR midi lathe. I only have two 220v outlets so I may rewire the jointer to 110v.
    The longest run of hose will be no more than maybe 10'. I have been watching the latest thread about dust collection with great interest. I don't have the budget for an Oneida system or anything similar that gets into the $2000.00 or more price range.
    Any feedback on how effective I can expect this to be would be appreciated.
    I have a shop vac with a dust deputy that I will use between my router, Rigid spindle sander and Dewalt compound miter saw.
    Previously Wallace's Dad
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: King Industrial

Might be worth considering the 2.7hp camvac! The high pressure units seem to be the best option on everything except planers and jointers. Especially if you already have 220v. That’s my only hold up right now

Comment

I'm sure it will be an improvement vs. the 1hp you have. Particularly if you have a short 10' run for your tools and use a 5" or maybe 6" duct and connection.

I'd look at the Oneida Super Dust Deputy 5" or 6" xl models as a possible alternative to that King cyclone. It is priced less I think to the King and it's proven, being well reviewed by many users. There are lots of photos online of how guys have mounted the blower above the cyclone to improve performance and reduce footprint too.

The King DC unit itself may well be the best choice in the class, but I'd also research all models of similar 2hp dust collectors and look for the one with the largest diameter impeller and best filter... "1 micron filter" is a vague statement, I'd see if I could find a MERV 15 or HEPA rated model.

You mention that you have 2 220V outlets. Same circuit?

​​​​​If so, you may find running your DC and table saw at the same time takes it to the limit. I'd consider adding a dedicated DC circuit.

If not, I'd suggest that you dedicate one circuit for the DC, and add another 220V receptacle on the other circuit for tablesaw/jointer/future 220V tools. That's the way I did my shop anyway... 20 amp 220V circuit for the DC and 20 amp 220/110V multiwire circuit for all the tools. I only run one tool at a time, but the DC always runs...

Comment

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...th-dust-deputy

My system is described in the post above. I have since put a short piece of 4" flex between the bottom of the Dust Deputy and the bin, and removing the little cart that I made.

It works great for my garage shop. I don't know anything about the King cyclone performance.
        The Dust Collector looks the same as my Craftex.

You should be happy with the upgrade, but the combined cost will be pretty close to the cost of a dedicated cyclone system. While I like my system, I started off with the DC only and added the Dust Deputy later. If I were starting form scratch, I'd throw in a few more dollars and get the dedicated cyclone design.
        Cheers
        Randy

Comment

Originally posted by altiplano View Post
          I'm sure it will be an improvement vs. the 1hp you have. Particularly if you have a short 10' run for your tools and use a 5" or maybe 6" duct and connection.

I'd look at the Oneida Super Dust Deputy 5" or 6" xl models as a possible alternative to that King cyclone. It is priced less I think to the King and it's proven, being well reviewed by many users. There are lots of photos online of how guys have mounted the blower above the cyclone to improve performance and reduce footprint too.

The King DC unit itself may well be the best choice in the class, but I'd also research all models of similar 2hp dust collectors and look for the one with the largest diameter impeller and best filter... "1 micron filter" is a vague statement, I'd see if I could find a MERV 15 or HEPA rated model.

You mention that you have 2 220V outlets. Same circuit?

​​​​​If so, you may find running your DC and table saw at the same time takes it to the limit. I'd consider adding a dedicated DC circuit.

If not, I'd suggest that you dedicate one circuit for the DC, and add another 220V receptacle on the other circuit for tablesaw/jointer/future 220V tools. That's the way I did my shop anyway... 20 amp 220V circuit for the DC and 20 amp 220/110V multiwire circuit for all the tools. I only run one tool at a time, but the DC always runs...
          The 220 volt outlets are separate circuits. My intent is to have the DC on one, primarily the table saw on the other and switch from that to band saw, or other units, with blast gates.
          I haven't found an Oneida system in the same price range.
          Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by Randy in Calgary View Post
            https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...th-dust-deputy

You should be happy with the upgrade, but the combined cost will be pretty close to the cost of a dedicated cyclone system. While I like my system, I started off with the DC only and added the Dust Deputy later. If I were starting form scratch, I'd throw in a few more dollars and get the dedicated cyclone design.
            The combined cost isn't far from the King KC-8105C cyclone at $1299.00, but that is a 1 1/2 hp 110 volt. Their 2 hp 220 volt is $1799.00.
            I didn't want to spend $1800.00 right now and I'm not certain that the 1 1/2 hp cyclone will be adequate. I suppose that as was mentioned about the short runs it might be just fine. The 1hp dc that I have does pretty well on the table saw.

Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

if you run more wire and there is room in the panel no harm with that. otherwise you might consider what you could use at the same time. for example you'll run the DC and saw at the same time but may never use the TS and a jointer or planer simultaneously. If it is a problem for the panel you may be able to put a switch in the line so that only one of those machines may be powered on at any one time. That's cheaper than adding a larger service panel but you should check with an electrician if it's legal.

the idea is that the switch position could direct power to one machine OR the other but not both to make sure the panel or the circuit they use could never be overloaded by operating both at once.

an electrician may have a formula or something but basically a house can be wired with the expectation that you dont for example run your AC and heat and every appliance in your house simultaneously. each circuit has to have ample sized wire for it's outlet and a suitable breaker. If the wire is too big that's not an issue. I run my saw off a range cable but my breaker is intentionally not big enough to run a range. and if I wanted to install a larger breaker and outlet and instead run a dryer or a stove or my welder I could do that without running a new wire. you cant; go the other way and draw more than the wire is rated for, so if you do run a new wire to your shop you might oversize it to allow for a possible future reconfiguration.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Jacobs View Post

The 220 volt outlets are separate circuits. My intent is to have the DC on one, primarily the table saw on the other and switch from that to band saw, or other units, with blast gates.
                I haven't found an Oneida system in the same price range.
                I'm not talking about an entire Oneida cyclone with motor, filter, etc. just the Super Dust Deputy.

5" model lists at $169 USD.

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator

Looks like Busy Bee has it for $239.

The King unit looks like it's $400 or so.

With the Oneida you'd need to source a drum though.

With 2 circuits you'll be good... I don't know your shop layout, but generally easy enough to run some cable and add a receptacle if you don't want to switch your jointer to 110v.

Looking closer at the King documentation there's no mention on impeller size on their cyclones or single stage DCs. It may well be that a 1.5hp cyclone does better if it has a more efficient fan, but I'd be sceptical... Maybe a dealer can give you information... a lot of them probably just don't know though.

I would definitely look to mounting the 2hp above the cyclone and making it as efficient as you can if you go that way... 6' of extra duct and tight turns up and down will reduce your performance.
                Last edited by altiplano; 05-04-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                  if you run more wire and there is room in the panel no harm with that. otherwise you might consider what you could use at the same time. for example you'll run the DC and saw at the same time but may never use the TS and a jointer or planer simultaneously. If it is a problem for the panel you may be able to put a switch in the line so that only one of those machines may be powered on at any one time. That's cheaper than adding a larger service panel but you should check with an electrician if it's legal.

the idea is that the switch position could direct power to one machine OR the other but not both to make sure the panel or the circuit they use could never be overloaded by operating both at once.

an electrician may have a formula or something but basically a house can be wired with the expectation that you dont for example run your AC and heat and every appliance in your house simultaneously. each circuit has to have ample sized wire for it's outlet and a suitable breaker. If the wire is too big that's not an issue. I run my saw off a range cable but my breaker is intentionally not big enough to run a range. and if I wanted to install a larger breaker and outlet and instead run a dryer or a stove or my welder I could do that without running a new wire. you cant; go the other way and draw more than the wire is rated for, so if you do run a new wire to your shop you might oversize it to allow for a possible future reconfiguration.
                  There is room in the panel to install more 220 circuits if I need them. I can't imagine that I will ever be busy enough in my hobby shop that I will need more, but I'm prepared to have an electrician do so If needed.
                  Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Originally posted by altiplano View Post
                    I'm not talking about an entire Oneida cyclone with motor, filter, etc. just the Super Dust Deputy.
                    5" model lists at $169 USD.
                    https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-depu...lone-separator
                    Looks like Busy Bee has it for $239.
                    The King unit looks like it's $400 or so.
                    With the Oneida you'd need to source a drum though.
                    With 2 circuits you'll be good... I don't know your shop layout, but generally easy enough to run some cable and add a receptacle if you don't want to switch your jointer to 110v.
                    Looking closer at the King documentation there's no mention on impeller size on their cyclones or single stage DCs. It may well be that a 1.5hp cyclone does better if it has a more efficient fan, but I'd be sceptical... Maybe a dealer can give you information... a lot of them probably just don't know though.
                    I would definitely look to mounting the 2hp above the cyclone and making it as efficient as you can if you go that way... 6' of extra duct and tight turns up and down will reduce your performance.
                    I saw the Oneida at BB and I did a google search for a drum but couldn't find any in my area. I found new ones that would have to be shipped to me, or I pick up, that were approx. $100.00 before shipping or pick up, so the cost would be about the same or more than the King.
                    I thought that once I have everything here I can try it as two units joined and probably reconfigure as you suggest later if I'm not quite happy with performance.
                    Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

I imagine online might not be the best place to find a drum or barrel to buy? Maybe you have a local supplier?

Or maybe you can get it with the Dust Deputy? I know Oneida sells them... maybe call a couple dealers? Or the manufacturer? I dealt with Oneida a few years ago and they were excellent to deal with, super helpful, perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

Anyway... good luck with your setup whichever way you go.

Comment

Hi, one circuit for your tools is all you will need.

I have a circuit for my cyclone and a circuit for all the other 240 and 120V receptacles............Rod.
                        Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I have talked to a couple of local dealers and I think I am going to buy the King KC-8105C 1 1/2hp cyclone.
                          They seem to think it will be more than adequate for what I hope to accomplish.
                          Thanks for all the feed back.
                          Previously Wallace's Dad

Comment

Something to keep in mind. Dealers are there to sell product. If they can steer you to something they sell or make a bigger profit from they will. They in most cases they do not have any expertise and are just going off the sales material they have. They will always have "Just what you need." to fit your budget no matter what how much money you have. I feel you need to do more research before deciding but that is up to you.

Pete

Comment

Hi Stuart, I have a General International 1-1/2 hp cyclone, which may be the same as the King. It certainly works and has good airflow. It appears to suffer from a “too short” cone. A lot of the material ends up going straight to the filter and is deposited in the bag below filter. I also have an older Oneida 2hp cyclone that sees almost nothing ending up in the little catch area below the filter. If I could go back in time I would not have purchased the GI unit.

Jim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X