Square dust collecting ducts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Square dust collecting ducts

Many years ago I posted the question here about the performance of square ducts. Nobody then had any experience with them. I had a lot of 1/4 inch plywood strips 6 inches wide so I build 6 inch square ducting along my shop wall with home made blast gates. The end caps are held on with magnets in case it clogs. It makes a great shelf for stuff. It goes into a Delta dust collector sitting on a 45 gallon drum. After many years it works fine with no clogs or anything else. It is self cleaning when I pull the end caps off. I have a remote control for the motor ( a string).
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: Square dust collecting ducts

As you have indicated, square ducts made of plywood work fine. If made of light gauge sheet metal, there would be more of a tendency for them to collapse, as compared to equivalent size round duct. Square ducts will also tend to collect more stuff in the corners if airflow is low. Your setup works fine & was a good way to use up those scraps.

Love your remote. Reminds me of how my kids mocked me for my home made TV remote control; a stick with a forked end that let me change channels from the couch.

Comment

Rectangular metal heating ducts have been in service for a long time now.
      ThePracticalPeasant likes this.
      Egon
      from
      The South Shore, Nova Scotia

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
        Rectangular metal heating ducts have been in service for a long time now.
        HVAC ducts don't have near the pressure, either on the return or discharge side, that dust collection systems do. Square HVAC duct would most certainly collapse if the system was running & the blast gate(s) closed.

Comment

What would the negative pressure have to be for that to happen?
          Egon
          from

Comment

Originally posted by Egon View Post
            What would the negative pressure have to be for that to happen?
            Yes, that's a given since we're speaking of dust collection systems.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Originally posted by drzaius View Post

Yes, that's a given since we're speaking of dust collection systems.
              Ah, negative pressure ehh. Dust collection systems work best when the volume of air moved is at the maximum rate possible. Makes a net positive suction pressure advisable, yes?

Perhaps educate yourself on what is involved with air movement.

Egon
              from

Comment

Size your duct appropriately for the dust collector's flow-rate:
                https://hvacdirect.com/hvac/pdf/Fiel...zing-chart.pdf

Pressure is the result of a resistance to a flow.
                Shop-vacs aren't capable of much (negative) pressure, but do generate huge air-flows.
                I suspect dust collectors are tuned in a similar way (as opposed to something explicitly intended to be a vacuum pump, for example)

... The ducts might rattle, but the sides shouldn't suck in.

And because it's related and fun:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbqKwPktCdo

Comment

Question on making the ducting. How did you put together the ducting? Brad nails and screws or something else?

Also, how did you transition to the tool?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X