How many CFM Do I need??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many CFM Do I need??

Looking at adding a dust colector in the future. I'm not sure what to buy.

I 'm hooking it up to my Ridgid planer and miter saw. I would also like to make it work on the table saw. I saw a real nice sanding table Idea that I would like to run it on. I'm only runing one machine at a time. But i would like to have the unit in a corner and run a single hose to the machines. max distance would be 20 feet.

I'm looking at a 1 micron bag to catch the fine dust.

Is there one thats better?

How many CFM would i need to make it work for me?

What Do I look for in a good quality unit?

Thanks for you time again
    KMD
  • Thread Continues Below...

Re: How many CFM Do I need??

http://www.billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm will tell you all you need.
    Grillzy

Comment

Originally posted by Kmd View Post
      I 'm hooking it up to my Ridgid planer and miter saw. I would also like to make it work on the table saw. I saw a real nice sanding table Idea that I would like to run it on. I'm only runing one machine at a time. But i would like to have the unit in a corner and run a single hose to the machines. max distance would be 20 feet.
      I bought a dust collector from Busy Bee recently. http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=CT095N It works fine with my DeWalt 734 planer and shop-built sanding box. My table saw is a Craftsman contractors saw, 1971 vintage and is too open for a dust collector to be effective.

I don't use the dust collector with either my bandsaw or miter saw as they have the small dust ports intended for a shop vac. I find that the shop vac is more efficient with that small an orifice.

Both the shop vac and the Craftex dust collector are loud. The shop vac has a universal motor (how on earth do they draw 5 HP from a 110 V supply like the sticker on the front of the machine claims? ) which screams loudly and unpleasantly.

The dust collector is rated for 85 dB and is lower pitched, not screaming. Still the loud rumbling means that I wear hearing protection when it's on, especially with the planer going. I'm wishing I had paid more attention to the noise output rating when researching my purchase. If you have a basement shop you'll want to consider its impact on the rest of the household.

I already had a 220V outlet in the basement for my compressor so the fact that the dust collector requires a 220V supply wasn't an issue but might be for others. BB sells a canister filter for that model which I'm planning on getting later on this year.

Like you, I only run one machine at a time and have a single 4" hose which I move from machine to machine to sanding box as needed. This dust collector comes with casters and is mobile but I've never needed to move it. It has a 10' hose, 4" diameter (though the intake is a 5" diameter port) which suffices for me now; my machines are on wheels and get moved into and out or the working area as needed.

So other than the noise, I'm quite happy with the Craftex CT095N. That it comes with a 3 year warranty rather than the one year warranty comparable models have sealed the deal for me.

--
      Cheers,
      Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Kmd View Post

How many CFM would i need to make it work for me?

What Do I look for in a good quality unit?
        Many CFM ,
        But seriously, it's said you need at least 800-1000CFM to do real dust collection, the trouble is (or the troubles are):

- the reported CFM manufactures tell you on the specifications aren't really what they should be.
        - The bags clog very soon and the CFM drops significantly, to a fraction of it's nominal value. I have a "good" 1-stage DC and know how.

I was in your shoes a few years ago and ended up buying the Delta 50-760. It's got best reviews by a few WW magazines and among the 1.5-2HP 1-stage machines is better.
        I'm going to get a cyclone eventually (it was the advice I was given but didn't think I will outgrow so soon).
        Remember, we are here to share, learn, and enjoy. Relax.

Comment

I've got a CT030 2hp from BusyBee. I've attached a 5 ft flex hose on it directly to the 5" inlet and it sucks pretty good. However, this arrangement is not good enough if you want to split and have both a 4" hose to a TS blade guard and to the cabinet. As mentioned by others, the filter may also clog so you need to be dilligent about wacking it to clear the fines off it (or get a canister). On another forum a person has attached a Thien separator and Wynn filter to his Jet DC and it is working 1000% better for separating the fines and keeping them out of the filter.

Don't worry about the noise of the DC because your other tools are just as loud (if not louder). I always wear ear protection so it isn't bad at all . You can always stick it in a closet if the noise bothers you. The 2hp arrangement can also be attached to fixed ductwork (just don't make it too long) and I had it set up that way before I pulled apart my workshop last year.

That all being said, I'm turfing my unit in the next month and getting a cyclone . Better for my health and easier to maintain.

Comment

I have built the Wood magazine cyclone & a Bill Pentz design unit. Not difficult. Pentz design much better - if you have the headroom. Used old HW tank body for main part. Go larger on the discharge pipe to slow down exit velocity even more! Connected to a radial arm, chop aw & 2 planers the 3HP DC bags had 2" of sawdust in them after 2 years. Works like that as long as you empty the drop box regularly!!! Ron.

Comment

• Thread Continues Below...

Hi KMD, as others have stated you need somewhere around 800 to 1,000 CFM for effective dust collection.

A table saw will need 400 to 500CFM for the cabinet and 200 to 300CFM for the over blade collection.

The problem in picking the type of collector you're looking at is that I haven't seen a single factual specification for those collectors.

When I measured a few bag type collectors they delivered less than half of their claimed capacity.

If the collector doesn't come with a static pressure versus airflow graph, don't buy it.

Most hobby shop installations run 6 to 8 inches water column static pressure loss, so you need to look at that line on the graph to see if the unit will work for you.

Regards, Rod.
              Work is the curse of the riding class.

Comment

I hope the OP has done something about his dust collection by now.
                Mike @ Buck Lake

Comment

Working...
                X